You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

8 minutes ago, Jennings said:

...then no-one else will ever get punished for the same crime. Ever.

Most likely. 

I fully get VVD hung about a bit and did tell the referee to fuck off, I sure we could find dozens of different occurrences of players swearing at the ref during the same game and over the weekend that have gone unpunished.

Any extended ban would be seen by some as further evidence of a bias against Liverpool by the authorities. In my opinion Van Dijk exercised tremendous self control under the circumstances and even the single game ban is extreme. Our captain may well pick up a big fine. Anyone criticising Van Dijk for an angry reaction have either never played the game or are just being mischieviously obtuse.

• Upvote 1

They'll look to make an example of him as a stake in the ground in their new 'we can get things as wrongs as we like, cost you points, maybe cost you your job if you are a manager and maybe cost you trophies, european football or relegate you - but you dare show any frustration or anger about it and we'll come down on you like a ton of bricks, we are the teachers, you are the children and there is to be no argument' campaign.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

You'd think Virg was Paolo do Canio shoving Alcock the way they're carrying on.

Abusing the officials my fucking arse. 

Despite the evidence of our own eyes, the narrative was that Robbo had angrily confronted that linesman, so I wouldn't be that surprised.

• Upvote 1

Ok, so the tackle wan’t the “scything down” that some numpty claimed in the press, but it was clear that Virgil’s attempt was for the ball, which he won, but he also caught Isak’s leg first and so it was a foul.

The official felt it might have been a goal scoring opportunity so red carded Virgil. Fine, that’s the rule of the game. Whether it was a goal scoring opportunity or not was possibly/probably why it went to VAR for clarification, plus whether the official had called it right for a foul in the first place.

Once VAR had concurred with the official, that was it. He was off, whether we liked it or not. I disagree he hardly said anything to the official, from what I saw, he gave him a mouthful, then followed it up with another before he walked.

In the heat of the moment, perhaps he felt hard done by, perhaps he felt that, after Macca got off last week, we were going to be hit back, and he was the fall guy, we might never know.

In any case, he was fucked once the official got confirmation from VAR, and he should have walked without aggravating a situation he was never going to make better, but only worse, for himself and the team.

Had he done that, then, perhaps with justification, it could have been argued or commented on after the game, by Klopp or Trent (as vice-captain) as being an excessive reaction by the official to what, at best, was a clumsy challenge in an area that wasn’t giving Isak a clear goal scoring opportunity.

Virgil was wrong to pick his battle out there in front of the cameras and as captain, should have known better.

I absolutely agree we should compile a running dossier on what happens to us, and what happens in other games, to give some kind of evidence of bias, or not, and to allow the club, not Virgil or Klopp, to nail these fuckers in any way it can if they are proven to be corrupt. Possibly by going to CAS, because once you start something like that, you really are making yourself a target and you have to see it through.

1 hour ago, Torvald Utne said:

The ref told him to stay there while the review was taking place and they were just talking most of the time, said a few words at the end but didn't really see anything that bad.  Also, being Captain he has the right to talk to the esteemed gentleman in black.

He does indeed.  But once he starts calling him a fucking prick, one of his mates should step in and try and calm it.  

As Dave said in his match report, this is the result of us having to put up with the vengeance shown by referees for quite sometime, especially after that idiotic thing that Klopp did to Brooks.

Virg might have been wrong but this was going to happen at some point imo. There is only so much the players can put up with, they are being fully and truly tested by the cunting refs in every single game.

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

He put his hands on the 4th official in the tunnel didn't he? I reckon he could get a big ban, like 5 or 6 games if that's true.

Wasn't it the other way round and van Dijk told him to get his hands off him?  There could have been two things of course.

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

He’ll get an extra 3 games and be made an example of.

He'll get 3. Revenge after Macca's ban was canceled by a neutral panel. That and the fact they still isn't finished with punishing us after Klopp last year.Perfect situation to set an example. Had it been an England player from some other club, max 2 matches or just the one. Maybe even none

48 minutes ago, JustTosh said:

He'll get 3. Revenge after Macca's ban was canceled by a neutral panel. That and the fact they still isn't finished with punishing us after Klopp last year.Perfect situation to set an example. Had it been an England player from some other club he'd have been awarded the George Cross!

I want to see Virg burst through the door like Stone Cold, complete with smashing glass theme tune. Hand out some Stunners, drink some beers and deal out some big "WHAT?!"s when the snivelling little bastards try to tell him that they're banning him.

The SYP twat reckons he's Vince McMahon. Only way to deal with a McMahon is with a Stone Cold.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

If the improper conduct was aimed at the referee, he didn't appear to say much leaving the field, then why wasn't a card shown?

Even though he's been sent off he can still be shown a yellow or red for offensive, insulting or abusive language or behaviour.

This is trial by television because the ref saw it later.

20 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

It’s absolutely correct he was charged. He went way over the top. But where the hell were his team mates to pull him away? I was screaming at the tv as they all just let him rant. It was ridiculous. What would have been a one game ban will now be a minimum of 2 and possibly/probably 3. 

I was thinking where is Milner when you need him! You would see him pull his team mates away loads of times.

• Upvote 4

On 29/08/2023 at 20:57, JohnnyH said:

He does indeed.  But once he starts calling him a fucking prick, one of his mates should step in and try and calm it.  

The only one who might do that is Robbo, and he was probably on the opposite side arguing with the lino.