You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

22 minutes ago, Grinch said:

The defence was excellent when he was injured tbf

When we stopped fucking around and out Fabinho back into midfield it was OK. Amd it was OK because we had a functioning midfield. We now don't amd it's exposing everyone

Just now, Lee909 said:

When we stopped fucking around and out Fabinho back into midfield it was OK. Amd it was OK because we had a functioning midfield. We now don't amd it's exposing everyone

Meant this season when it looked ten times worse without him but no one cares cause they don’t hold Konate, Matip or Gomez to the same standard.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Virgil van Dijk has been confirmed as Liverpool’s new captain.

The Netherlands international takes on the role from Jordan Henderson, whose eight-year stint as skipper ended when he completed a £12m move to Saudi Pro League club Al Ettifaq last week.

Trent Alexander-Arnold has been selected as the new vice-captain with that role vacant since James Milner left at the end of last season and subsequently joined Brighton on a free transfer.

The decisions were taken by manager Jurgen Klopp rather than a vote of the playing squad.

Van Dijk was always the front runner to be handed the armband having been third in command when Henderson and Milner were still at the club.

The former Southampton defender admitted prior to Sunday’s 4-0 win over Leicester City in Singapore that being handed the captaincy would be “a great honour”.

Upon the announcement he said: “(It’s) a really proud day for me, for my wife, for my kids, my family. It’s been a special feeling and I can’t really describe it at this point. But it’s something that I’m really, really proud of.

“Obviously I’m captain of Holland, that was already such a huge honour, a proud moment as well. But also to be the captain of Liverpool Football Club is something that I can’t describe at this point.

“It’s just something that makes me very proud and I will do everything in my power and what I can do to make everyone proud and happy with me and the football club.”

Liverpool begin their Premier League campaign against Chelsea on Sunday, August 13.

GO DEEPER

Inside Henderson's Saudi deal: Gerrard's strategy, Klopp home truths, 'frightening' wages

(Photo: Andrew Powell/Liverpool FC via Getty Images)

21 minutes ago, Sandman40 said:

Trent is vice-captain.

I think this might be a bit like when Stevie was given the armband. Back then, I don't think he was an obvious candidate for the role at the time, but he took on the responsibility and his game actually went up a level or two.

From the current squad, Virg is the most obvious pick for club captain. He's an automatic first choice, vociferous, an organiser and has leadership experience from captaining his national team.

I would think that Robbo is the next in line. He is certainly the most likely to constantly be in the ref's ear!

• Upvote 3

Was just listening to the podcast and agree that sometimes he’s lackadaisical with his own work which might make handing out bollockings for other’s failings a bit hypocritical. But hopefully getting the armband might make him consider his own standards and have that extra desire to hit them 100% of the time to allow him to have proper moral authority on the pitch. I’m optimistic this might lead to a renaissance for him, basically.

12 hours ago, Manny said:

Was just listening to the podcast and agree that sometimes he’s lackadaisical with his own work which might make handing out bollockings for other’s failings a bit hypocritical. But hopefully getting the armband might make him consider his own standards and have that extra desire to hit them 100% of the time to allow him to have proper moral authority on the pitch. I’m optimistic this might lead to a renaissance for him, basically.

He's captain of the Netherlands isn't he? Has being captain helped him there? Serious question, as I don't know. Obviously there's loads of ex pros moan about him, but that always seem the Dutch way. 

8 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

He's captain of the Netherlands isn't he? Has being captain helped him there? Serious question, as I don't know. Obviously there's loads of ex pros moan about him, but that always seem the Dutch way. 

Was a Trent comment I think.

Some merit to it.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...