You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2017 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Fucking hell it was a fat burner for fucks sake. Stupid is all.

What else did he do exactly? Turn up late on tour?

Stunt at the Palace game? He was a Palace player for fucks sake.

It seems to have been a bit more than that one incident. This is the same player who walked out prior to a derby because he wasn't starting.

All moot. Klopp doesn't want to work with him. He wants VVD.

You've got to laugh. It's almost like the fat burning issue didn't see him miss a shit load of games because the club were concerned enough to pull him. It's almost like the Palace cunterty wasn't a slap in the face to the fans paying his wages and chanting his name.

And in his absence his defensive ability has passed into myth. I must have imagined the twice-a-game headless charges to follow a forward dropping deep, putting his team mates in the shit. Or his passes that rival Hendo's on the pingometer, usually to a team mate who is marked and in difficulty.

They say you can fool some of the people all of the time, and he clearly has. He's a marginal step up on Lovren, not Alan Hansen.

• Upvote 6

Exactly this. Wait until next summer, when we'll spend the square root of fuck all again, and be told it's okay because Keita is joining us.

SMOKE AND MIRRORS.

Paul Senior  ‏ @PaulSenior1  57m57 minutes ago

Boss how FSG have PR'd this summer and next summer's budget in one go. 

Keita 'satisfies' us twice, and they spend once. Genius

This summer comes down to four key battles.  1. Keep Coutinho, 2. Buy Salah, 3. Buy Keita, and 4. Buy VVD.  Win two, and it could be considered a mediocre window, not awful, and not good.  Win three of them and you'd have to say it's actually pretty good, if not great.  If we had done all four I think we'd be talking about Liverpool as serious title contenders, even if it was one last hurrah before Phil left next summer.

As it stands we've won one and lost one (assuming Keita is dead at this point).  Now it's all down to what happens with VVD and Coutinho.  If Coutinho leaves, even if he's replaced by Insigne or someone like that, it's a big disaster.  If we don't get van Dijk, likewise.  Get both of those to go our way and things are still looking up.  We can get Keita next summer and plan to replace Phil this season as well.

So, in my "4 key battles" scenario, I think you could say we've won two, lost one, and drew one.

Obviously we bought Salah, and it looks like we're going to keep Coutinho.  That's two wins.  It seems clear we're not getting van Dijk this summer, so that's a huge loss.  And then we get Keita, but only next summer.  For me, that's closer to a win than a loss, but let's call it a draw.

I had said in this post that two wins and two losses would be "mediocre" and three wins would be a "pretty good, but not great" window.  I think that about sums it up, our window is about halfway in between those two descriptions.

I certainly don't think it's a huge disaster as some seem to think.  I really think that 90m on Lemar would be a mistake, even at 75m I was pretty uncomfortable with that one.  Good player but those kind of fees should be reserved for truly dominant players, not just someone who would come in and be our 3rd-best wide player.

I still hope that we make a pretty big push for a centre back in January, the failure to find another option to van Dijk is the biggest mistake of the summer for me.  I expect that will cost us 4-5 points between now and then and probably that's the difference between challenging for the title and being in the top 4 race come May.

Ive been super critical of FSG all summer and still think the window has been largely underwhelming and they never had any intention of spending the sums mooted.

But at least weve held onto Phil. If he was to go without a replacement then we may aswell give up as its always one step forward two steps back.

The world and his fucking dog knows where Liverpool are lacking. Don't be fooled by us keeping a clean sheet against a shite Arsenal side, any half decent side would have stopped them scoring.

Not strengthening defensively will bite us hard on the arse sooner or later, and might just make the difference between finishing top 4 again and falling back into the Europa League places.

Negligent at best.

• Upvote 2

Honestly what the fuck are we doing? Yeah salah and Oxlade Chamberlain are great additions to the squad and with Lallana and Coutinho to come back we have a wealth of options in midfield in attack. To get rid of Lucas and Sakho is a season with European football is actually so ridiculous that you would actually think it could t be true. Whoever's fucking decision this was is a fucking moron.

• Upvote 1

Ive been super critical of FSG all summer and still think the window has been largely underwhelming and they never had any intention of spending the sums mooted.

But at least weve held onto Phil. If he was to go without a replacement then we may aswell give up as its always one step forward two steps back.

Could go tomorrow mate.