You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

1 hour ago, mattyq said:

Brexit is a binary issue, though. In or out

I think we're past nuances and the complexities of it all

It doesn't have to be that way.   Remain, soft Brexit, hard Brexit, no deal, May's deal, some other type of deal.  

By making it into a binary issue you are playing into the hands of the no deal zealots.  That's exactly how they want it to be perceived.  

3 hours ago, A Red said:

He looks like he has 2 bodies that have been poorly welded together with no thought to where the head should be.

I laughed for at least 30 seconds at that. He’s fucking falling apart, the poor fucker. He obviously cares a lot but it’s destroying him. 

As for the interview, he’s just shitty at leading. Total lack of coherent vision and leadership. It’s a complex issue, I get it. But fucking hell, the fence sitting is backfiring spectacularly. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Remain and reform

Catchy. Hmm, I've got an idea.

Close up: Blue piss being poured onto a sanitary towel from a bottle marked "Boris". It drips to the floor, spelling out "Leave".

A worried woman then looks at another pad, this one has wings (both on the left) and a picture of Corbyn holding some jam. 

Exterior shot: Dianne Abbot rollerblading along the beach.

Cue music: Wooooaaahh remain and reform, remain and reform for yooooooouuuuuuu!

Labour are the only party with significant numbers of both leavers and remainers , so it is obviously going to need a more nuanced approach to its policies than the others. 

The thing that surprises me is that modern journalists who presumably must be very intelligent people to reach the peaks of their profession are happy to pretend that they don't understand fairly straightforward propositions which ordinary Joes like me can grasp ( I am happy for them to disagree with them just don't grandstand that your head is buzzing with them ).

Is it a massively difficult suggestion that we absolutely oppose No-Deal and offer a referendum on any final choice offered by any party , but need to see exactly what happens over summer to see whether we are fighting a Tory Brexit or likely to be in power ourselves and in talks with the EU before making a fundamental choice on policy going forward.

I understand a lot of people on here are very keen to remain in the EU ( I am myself ) but we are not having to juggle with pronunciations that could lose massive amounts of voters , many in vulnerable constituencies,  and put the worst Tory government into power for the foreseeable future.

Latest poll talking about the Boris bounce is a bit worrying with Tories up to 30% but little mentioned is Labour up 3% to 28% with plenty of scope for eating into the Lib Dems vote at a real election.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Car crash interview.

In what way?

He answered all the questions honestly and fully, without inadvertently giving her any misleading soundbites and without any hesitation, confusion, lack of composure or any of the other features of a car crash interview. 

I find it a bit pathetic that people need to be "lead".  Surely a party leader, or Prime Minister, is allowed their own thoughts while respecting the wishes of others.  Or is the general populice that weak minded that they need to be lied to rather than a political leader, or PM, actually speak of their own personal wishes. 

Honestly I truly believe this whole mess is about this country having a collective identity crisis.  We stand for nothing, it's all just soundbites and superficiality, phoney wars, arming Saudi's and being America's bitch. 

Is it all Rupert Murdoch's fault?  Without him yes the Tory's would still exist but would the easily led working class, if you need to work to pay a mortgage or rent your are working class no matter what you might tell yourself, actually vote for them? 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

How does this go then -- the only people who are not "working class" are independently wealthy and retired?

No because it wasn't a comment on what defines those who are not working class, I've not much to say on that, it was a comment on people who have to work voting Tory.  

4 minutes ago, Moo said:

No because it wasn't a comment on what defines those who are not working class, I've not much to say on that, it was a comment on people who have to work voting Tory.  

Certainly you would acknowledge that a fella on an hourly shift with naught in the bank paying a rent/mortgage is in a different place/mindset than a guy who has salaried career and some wedge put away. He still needs to work to pay his mortgage.

1 hour ago, TK421 said:

It doesn't have to be that way.   Remain, soft Brexit, hard Brexit, no deal, May's deal, some other type of deal.  

By making it into a binary issue you are playing into the hands of the no deal zealots.  That's exactly how they want it to be perceived.  

I think it has to be that way now

I'd agree with you that initially it certainly didn't have to be that way.

If May had took us out whilst staying in the Single Market and Customs Union most people would have been happy with that but she decided on a hard Brexit and here we are

7 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

That's what Murdoch wants us to believe, but (as is often the case) observable reality begs to differ.

Murdoch? I don’t care (or know) what he or his mouth pieces say or think. I just judged on what I saw from him. So my observation of reality seems to differ from yours. It has nothing to do with my indoctrination from Murdoch though. 

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Murdoch? I don’t care (or know) what he or his mouth pieces say or think. I just judged on what I saw from him. So my observation of reality seems to differ from yours. It has nothing to do with my indoctrination from Murdoch though. 

OK. What symptoms of a man "falling apart" did you observe?

1 minute ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

OK. What symptoms of a man "falling apart" did you observe?

He looks absolutely fucked to me. Physically he looks drained, his face is a particular give away, his slouched shoulders too. But he seems mentally much slower now than he has been. His ability to think on his feet and getting irritable very easily. 

For clarity, I don’t mean literally his arms and legs are coming off. I mean he looks shagged. 

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

He looks absolutely fucked to me. Physically he looks drained, his face is a particular give away, his slouched shoulders too. But he seems mentally much slower now than he has been. His ability to think on his feet and getting irritable very easily. 

For clarity, I don’t mean literally his arms and legs are coming off. I mean he looks shagged. 

Yeah, thanks for the clarification. 

I've never paid that close attention to his face, but I don't think you could reasonably say he looks like he’s aged more than 4 years since 2015. 

I totally disagree about his mental agility. That interview is a good example; he answered the questions, stuck to his guns and avoided giving them any ammo. He occasionally loses his rag - when they harass him outside his house or when they insist on chatting shit - but not often at all and certainly no more often than he used to.

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Do you feel he is a divisive personality within your party?

Can you elect a divisive candidate?

No, he's not divisive. Some of the pro-austerity/pro-Apartheidt Westminster leftovers from the New Labour era are determined to divide the party, but the leader (who "can't lead") unites hundreds of thousands of people to the extent that Rico's mob try to portray us as a brainwashed cult.

• Upvote 1

Just now, AngryofTuebrook said:

No, he's not divisive. Some of the pro-austerity/pro-Apartheidt Westminster leftovers from the New Labour era are determined to divide the party, but the leader (who "can't lead") unites hundreds of thousands of people to the extent that Rico's mob try to portray us as a brainwashed cult.

I am not an expert but I think the thread was started by a supporter and there have been a number of supporters throughout that suggest he may be divisive/unelectable.

Maybe there should be a Plan B? 

5 hours ago, mattyq said:

Brexit is a binary issue, though. In or out

I think we're past nuances and the complexities of it all

I disagree, the nuance and detail is needed and has, largely, been ignoring.  The failure to take it into account or deal with it has been the reason it's gone nowhere.

He says he wants remain over no deal, but can't rule out campaigning for a labour deal if they're in power.  It's not that complex.