You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

It shouldn't, but it still surprises me that people don't actually understand the difference between what left and right are or even what the term means. Holding up the likes of Athiesm and pro-choice as proof of their non-rightist views is fucking funny, ignorant, and indicative of somebody who listens to way too many American podcasts. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

The left are bad racists. Worse than the NF and BNP etc.

Bogeye Hodges said so... 

There is no more racially divisive force in UK politics than Corbynism. It is more dangerous now than the NF or the BNP or the EDL

As is said about Everton if Dan Hodges didn't exist you'd have to invent him.

I think he's just a wind up merchant who I don't even think he believes  half the shit he writes from the minute he opens his eye his whole day is hell bent on tweeting about Corbyn, maybe he gets paid by the number of replies he gets....

https://zelo-street.blogspot.com/

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

It shouldn't, but it still surprises me that people don't actually understand the difference between what left and right are or even what the term means. Holding up the likes of Athiesm and pro-choice as proof of their non-rightist views is fucking funny, ignorant, and indicative of somebody who listens to way too many American podcasts. 

I don't think the concepts of left and right exist the way they used to.

Someone like May, Thatcher etc can genuinely be called right but in the sense that they believed in hang'em and flog'em politics and free markets with a general disdain for the concept of public ownership, or that the public sector was generally bloated and wasteful.

But they had genuine respect and even reverence for what they felt were great British institutions. The union itself, the monarchy, the class system, Oxbridge, Cornish ice cream, the Chelsea flower show, Spitfires etc.

The new breed though, the Osbornes and the Johnsons only care about money and aggrandizing themselves through extremely wealthy connections. They're the servants of oligarchy, just like in the States.

They exist to disrupt and destroy all the things that belonged to the state so they can be sold off. 

If you look at what's happened with free schools, the probation service etc. It was done under the guise of ideology but the whole point was to put public money in private pockets even if the thing itself ceased to function and even if they're eventually brought in house again, it doesn't matter. Money has been made. 

The new left and right is on the one hand, the people who engage in the above behaviour or those that are too thick, lazy or possessed of some kind of weird Stockholm syndrome to have a problem with it, and on the other hand there's everybody else who is in some way suffering because of it and does give a toss. Literally, the many and the few.

The problem is most of the media fall into the first camp, and whether we like it of not they still frame the message.

• Upvote 1

I think you’re being kind to Thatcher there, she created the politics and idealism ( or rather implemented them, Keith Joseph was the main architect)  of which Cameron and Osborne were simply a natural progression, so many of today’s problems lead directly back to Thatcher/Joseph imo

The terms left and right have always been pretty ham-fisted labels for indicating political beliefs. Like it's a binary choice, a place at either end of a linear political landscape.

Almost no one will fit the purest of criteria, as dictated by those at the extremes. You can clearly be racist and left wing, or right wing but believe in gay rights. They're nothing but general terms, showing a leaning. They've always been poor at indicating the array of beliefs an individual will have, hence the trouble winning the working class white vote, which is fertile ground for both economically left leaning, as well as the socially conservative.

• Upvote 1

Yes, look at conservatives like Peter Hitchens, Peter Oborne, etc. They basically the complete opposite of the current rabble. Anti-war, pro investing in public institutions, less interested in or actively against "progressive" social policies. 

The BBC often says that because it has complaints from the left and the right that they must be balanced, while really they have complaints from people with left wing economic views and people with right wing social views (sometimes the same people).

I don’t think Hitchens identifies as a Conservative anymore, could be wrong on that though, I’ve never minded one nation Conservatives, I mean I wouldn’t vote for them but I have no problem with them. Is Rod Liddle Tory? He’s certainly right wing as I understand the term

15 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

I don’t think Hitchens identifies as a Conservative anymore, could be wrong on that though, I’ve never minded one nation Conservatives, I mean I wouldn’t vote for them but I have no problem with them. Is Rod Liddle Tory? He’s certainly right wing as I understand the term

I meant small c conservative. The ideology, not the party. He despises the party and hopes it ceases to exist. Because they aren't conservatives.

1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

I think you’re being kind to Thatcher there, she created the politics and idealism ( or rather implemented them, Keith Joseph was the main architect)  of which Cameron and Osborne were simply a natural progression, so many of today’s problems lead directly back to Thatcher/Joseph imo

True but I think (she thought) she was genuinely a patriot. I don't think the Camerons, Osbornes and Johnsons have any pretentions to be, in fact they probably think the whole concept is pretty pathetic.

4 hours ago, Section_31 said:

True but I think (she thought) she was genuinely a patriot. I don't think the Camerons, Osbornes and Johnsons have any pretentions to be, in fact they probably think the whole concept is pretty pathetic.

A patriot implies more than standing for Queen and Country. It implies you care about the prosperity of the working classes as well as the upper classes. Thatcherism was about blaming all the economic troubles in society on the welfare state and general Keynesian policies like the NHS and post war spending on council houses. You can't wage war on the majority of society and be deemed patriotic. She was the opposite of a patriot. 

I understand what you're saying though, you're saying *she thought* she was a patriot. I'd rather a cunt know they are a cunt though. I think the delusion of righteousness is more dangerous.

51 minutes ago, Boss said:

A patriot implies more than standing for Queen and Country. It implies you care about the prosperity of the working classes as well as the upper classes. Thatcherism was about blaming all the economic troubles in society on the welfare state and general Keynesian policies like the NHS and post war spending on council houses. You can't wage war on the majority of society and be deemed patriotic. She was the opposite of a patriot. 

I understand what you're saying though, you're saying *she thought* she was a patriot. I'd rather a cunt know they are a cunt though. I think the delusion of righteousness is more dangerous.

I don't think patriotism does include those things, our version of it does, but not the accepted one.

Few would argue for example that Churchill and Reagan weren't patriots, but neither had any time for the folks at the bottom.

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

I don't think patriotism does include those things, our version of it does, but not the accepted one.

Few would argue for example that Churchill and Reagan weren't patriots, but neither had any time for the folks at the bottom.

A Fair point well made.

Will just leave it to Dan’s mum, Glenda, in her interview with The Daily Beast in 2018.

As for the anti-Semitism row currently roiling Labour, Jackson said, “Jeremy Corbyn is not a racist, and I don’t believe he is anti-Semitic. What he is is pro-Palestinian. That presumably is where the conflict comes from, and whatever has been misread and misinterpreted.”

Not sure, more of a car crash interviewer.  There's a pretty obvious point that they'd campaign in favour of remaining rather than no deal, or (probably) any Boris deal.  But, if Labour are in power and they negotiate their own deal then they'd probably lobby for that...  BUT, there'd still be a vote - so the public would still have a say. 

It's not that difficult, instead of complaining of a headache and waffling about leadership (despite his views being a matter of public record at this point - and clearly stated again there) the interviewer could have asked what the options on the vote would be in that scenario, or if they'd whip MPs to campaign the same way.

33 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Car crash interview.

How the fuck is any leave or remainer voter nevermind anyone with a party affiliation watching this be inspired to vote for Labour?

He looks like he has 2 bodies that have been poorly welded together with no thought to where the head should be.

33 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Not sure, more of a car crash interviewer.  There's a pretty obvious point that they'd campaign in favour of remaining rather than no deal, or (probably) any Boris deal.  But, if Labour are in power and they negotiate their own deal then they'd probably lobby for that...  BUT, there'd still be a vote - so the public would still have a say. 

It's not that difficult, instead of complaining of a headache and waffling about leadership (despite his views being a matter of public record at this point - and clearly stated again there) the interviewer could have asked what the options on the vote would be in that scenario, or if they'd whip MPs to campaign the same way.

Why not just come out and say they'd remain rather than wait for the possibility of a no deal before taking that stance? They have no fucking idea the damage this has done with public opinion and trust.

At least that way they're consolidating any younger core voters they have on their side and will immediately attract any remainers that could potentially switch because of their Brexit stance.

This is essentially the problem with Labour. They've had no fucking stance since the referendum. They are far too passive most of the time. They are always a laughing joke on Question Time whenever I've watched it with the panel and audience because of this.

They've got fuck all chance of getting into power with Corbyn as leader.

They've royally fucked up in the past decade with one of the worst Conservative goverments in living history. They are an absolute joke at the moment.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Why not just come out and say they'd remain rather than wait for the possibility of a no deal before taking that stance? They have no fucking idea the damage this has done with public opinion and trust.

At least that way they're consolidating any younger core voters they have on their side and will immediately attract any remainers that could potentially switch because of their Brexit stance.

This is essentially the problem with Labour. They've had no fucking stance since the referendum. They are far too passive most of the time. They are always a laughing joke on Question Time whenever I've watched it with the panel and audience because of this.

They've got fuck all chance of getting into power with Corbyn as leader.

They've royally fucked up in the past decade with one of the worst Conservative goverments in living history. They are an absolute joke at the moment.

They do have a stance but it doesn't fit into a neat little three word slogan.