You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

33 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I think with the right conversations they could get a small number of tories required and with the right promises to the dup about any brexit deal meaning Northern Ireland being treat the same as the rest of the UK would win them around. Labour just isn't trying, because they would shit themselves if they ended up with having to deal brexit because the party is almost as split as the tories on the subject, it just doesn't get highlighted because they're not in government and they say nothing but look at keir's 6 tests. It would get highlighted in a GE campaign. Labour is happy for brexit to be done the tory way, let it go to shit and try to win the next election on the back of it when  brexit is old news and the country is paying the consequences. Labour don't want to be in government now. 

Labour won't escape from the nuclear fallout of we crash out,  They have to press for a second referendum when their bid for a GE fails

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, rico1304 said:

So, no 2nd referendum then if JC gets in. 

Let the contortion begin!!!!

Unless he has given another interview his words don't state a referendum is ruled in or out. Mentions the party will decide. I assume by that he means the process Labour pursue when a manifesto is submitted prior to a general election a class v meeting.  I'll leave you to judge if the headline you paraphrase match his comments.

Here are his words from the Guardian I think you are referring to. 

Here is the headline.

Corbyn: Brexit would go ahead even if Labour won snap election

But asked if he could imagine a referendum emerging as a solution if it becomes clear that parliament is deadlocked – as the work and pensions secretary, Amber Rudd, mooted this week – he said: “I think we should vote down this deal; we should then go back to the EU with a discussion about a customs union.”

As to what stance Labour would take if a referendum were held, Corbyn said, “it would be a matter for the party to decide what the policy would be; but my proposal at this moment is that we go forward, trying to get a customs union with the EU, in which we would be able to be proper trading partners.”

To those activists who support his leadership but ardently hope he will stop Brexit, Corbyn said: “We have to recognise a number of things. One is, as a party, about 60% of Labour voters voted remain; about 40% voted leave. We have to recognise why people voted in those directions.”

“Labour is unique as a party, because it’s got to bring all sides together – hence my view on a customs union, on access to the market.”

The Labour leader insisted that even if his party won a snap general election in the new year, he would seek to go to Brussels and try to secure a better deal – if possible, in time to allow Brexit to go ahead on 29 March.

“You’d have to go back and negotiate, and see what the timetable would be,” he said. In an exclusive interview, Corbyn also

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2018/dec/21/jeremy-corbyn-labour-policy-leaving-eu?CMP=share_btn_tw&__twitter_impression=true

Couple of questions for those who want another referendum.

What do you think parliament could agree on to be on the ballot?

Do you want No deal on the ballot?

Do you want the next referendum you are calling for to be legally binding?

Should there be a threshold higher than last time for the winner?

Should there be a general election prior to another referendum? 

Do you want to revoke article 50 prior to another referendum or an extension?

26 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

Couple of questions for those who want another referendum.

What do you think parliament could agree on to be on the ballot?

Do you want No deal on the ballot?

Do you want the next referendum you are calling for to be legally binding?

Should there be a threshold higher than last time for the winner?

Should there be a general election prior to another referendum? 

Do you want to revoke article 50 prior to another referendum or an extension?

Fucking hell. It’s Mook’s 2018 Poll: Brexit Edition. 

On 12/21/2018 at 11:17 PM, rico1304 said:

So, no 2nd referendum then if JC gets in. 

Let the contortion begin!!!!

Have you got a quote in which Corbyn rules out a second referendum?

(It's certainly not in the Guardian interview, or any other interview I've seen.)

Or is that question too contorted for you?

14 hours ago, rico1304 said:

70% of his members want a second referendum.  You can’t trot out the ‘people's party’ shite and then ignore them.  Well, it seems you can.  

You could, y'know, have a party in which policy is determined after debate and votes at Conference, rather than made up on the hoof in response to some opinion poll (which, I assume, is where you get your 70% from).

23 hours ago, rico1304 said:

70% of his members want a second referendum.  You can’t trot out the ‘people's party’ shite and then ignore them.  Well, it seems you can.  

23 hours ago, Denny Crane said:

it would be a matter for the party to decide what the policy would be; but my proposal at this moment is that we go forward, trying to get a customs union with the EU, in which we would be able to be proper trading partners.”

On 12/20/2018 at 5:16 PM, Red Phoenix said:

From what I can see from them and similar groups, one of the main reasons they exist is to generate disinformation about Russia, not target from. Probably funded by NATO, US state dept, neocons and several other fucked up groups.

Have just been looking at something about the Integrity Initiative which led to finding this, so they basically do get funded by NATO in part by the looks of it :

NB 3 if asked about our funding, be very clear: the Integrity Initiative is funded by the Institute for Statecraft. The IfS gets its funding from multiple sources to ensure its independence. These include: private individuals; charitable foundations; international organisations (EU, NATO); UK Govt (FCO, MOD)

https://www.pdf-archive.com/2018/11/02/iihandbookv2/iihandbookv2.pdf

It shouldn't be a surprise really, one of the guys that started off the Institute for Statecraft (which created Integrity Initiative) was a special adviser to 4 secretary generals of NATO, so it probably figures that they're not going to have an issue funding what he's working on.

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I'll say it before and I'll say it again? Cameron started this and May had fucked it up, so how in the name of holy God has Corbyn become the villain of the piece?

I thought that would be obvious. We've the weakest government and worst prime minister in living memory, yet there's next to no serious opposition to this government. The country is desperate to see this government booted out. 

• Upvote 1