You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

10 minutes ago, rico1304 said:

If audio came out of him saying ‘stupid woman’ what do you think should happen? 

I honestly find it a bit concerning, not because he's said that even though I don't agree with it, but because he's then said to mp's that he said stupid people. But at the end of the day there's so much worse that politicians are doing in general that I struggle to give much of a shit.

I did watch the video though and as someone who'd like to see Corbyn become pm, I don't feel any doubt at all that he said stupid woman.

4 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

I honestly find it a bit concerning, not because he's said that even though I don't agree with it, but because he's then said to mp's that he said stupid people. But at the end of the day there's so much worse that politicians are doing in general that I struggle to give much of a shit.

I did watch the video though and as someone who'd like to see Corbyn become pm, I don't feel any doubt at all that he said stupid woman.

No doubt at all. Would you doubt a lip reading expert? 

I'd honestly be more concerned at the amount of cover ups that go on in parliament for paedophilia than someone calling people/a woman stupid. 

Who's really arsed? It's a complete non-event being blown up out of all proportion by the Tories to deflect from other issues. 

At one speed, I thought he said "people." At another speed, I thought he said "woman." It's far from the open and shut case that some are claiming (on both sides). But, one thing is clear, I still don't give a fuck. If he said stupid woman, apologise for using inappropriate language and move on. But, that's still not evidence of misogyny. If he's calling May stupid because he thinks she's stupid BECAUSE she's a woman, it's a fair cop, guvnor. But, if he's calling her stupid because she's hollering, jeering and dragging PMQ's down to something akin to a pantomine, and then adding "woman" because she is a woman, then that's more careless and inappropriate than misogynistic. Either way, his intent is difficult to prove, so an apology deals with it. 

Does May also have to apologise though for calling herself a "bloody difficult woman?" As it's far from clear what he said, do MP's have to apologise for calling Corbyn a liar in the House of Commons? 

It's all a big game and a load of rubbish anyway. Get back to doing what you were elected to do, instead of indulging in the he said, she said playground level tomfoolery. 

Frankly I think this argument suits both sides. May and the tories get to distract from they have no brexit plan they can get through parliament and corbyn and labour are no longer under pressure to bring a NC vote they clearly don't want to do. They get to behave like the bunch of selfish kids they all are, pack up for Christmas, have a great time with their families, while the country lurches towards brexit oblivion. I've never had a high opinion of politicians, but this last month for me has been astounding from the entire house. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Frankly I think this argument suits both sides. May and the tories get to distract from they have no brexit plan they can get through parliament and corbyn and labour are no longer under pressure to bring a NC vote they clearly don't want to do. They get to behave like the bunch of selfish kids they all are, pack up for Christmas, have a great time with their families, while the country lurches towards brexit oblivion. I've never had a high opinion of politicians, but this last month for me has been astounding from the entire house. 

You think labour want the focus to be on this bullshit debate? 

Why would they push through a no confidence vote they know they can’t win? Ahh, whatever. Fuck it...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, moof said:

You think labour want the focus to be on this bullshit debate? 

Why would they push through a no confidence vote they know they can’t win? Ahh, whatever. Fuck it...

How do they know they can't win?I think it's more like they fear the consequences of winning. They'd actually have to do something about brexit. This is a grwst distraction for Labour. I said before this started corbyns's next step would be name calling as he had nowhere else to go. 

• Upvote 1

How do they know they can't win?I think it's more like they fear the consequences of winning.

That's very easy. The DUP have said they won't back them. They can't count on Tories, as we've seen, to vote against themselves. The rest is simple addition. That and they have people that do this for a living. 

How do they know they can't win?I think it's more like they fear the consequences of winning. They'd actually have to do something about brexit. This is a grwst distraction for Labour. I said before this started corbyns's next step would be name calling as he had nowhere else to go. 

Yeah, that’s just total nonsense. 

They know they can’t win because they can count. Fear the consequences of winning? Ok, sure 

2 hours ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

No doubt at all. Would you doubt a lip reading expert?

Yep, because from what I can see there's lip reading experts on both sides saying different things. So I'm just gonna stay with what I thought I obviously saw when first watching the video. Am not giving Jezza stick for the sake of it, I think he's ace. I think he's made a mistake here though. Just my own opinion of course, not saying it has to be right.

6 hours ago, moof said:

Yeah, that’s just total nonsense. 

They know they can’t win because they can count. Fear the consequences of winning? Ok, sure 

I think with the right conversations they could get a small number of tories required and with the right promises to the dup about any brexit deal meaning Northern Ireland being treat the same as the rest of the UK would win them around. Labour just isn't trying, because they would shit themselves if they ended up with having to deal brexit because the party is almost as split as the tories on the subject, it just doesn't get highlighted because they're not in government and they say nothing but look at keir's 6 tests. It would get highlighted in a GE campaign. Labour is happy for brexit to be done the tory way, let it go to shit and try to win the next election on the back of it when  brexit is old news and the country is paying the consequences. Labour don't want to be in government now.