You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

I might be being stupid here and I probably am but I keep hearing that the Labour membership want a second referendum (according to to a YouGov poll of a thousand members ) so I'm confused as to the fact that the Tories and Labour who both aren't going to alter the referendum result are polling around 80% of the vote ?

So if we are being honest maybe the Lib Dems should be taking a fair bit of shit as they're up against two parties who are takiing us over the cliff edge and yet they're doing jack shit about it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Corbyn doesn't want to renegotiate, he wants an election and he doesn't want to send all the leavers into May's pocket. It's that simple and, dare I say it, good politics. 

Mate he's going to lose many more Remainers than he loses Leavers if he doesn't get off the fence.  A General Election is unlikely before Brexit

3 hours ago, Strontium Dog said:

Moof, who is basically what would happen if Skwawkbox became sentient, posts a cherry-picked stat of Lib Dem polling at 6% when all the other polls show us around 9-10%. Yeah, you bet I'm negging anyone who reps that shit. Incidentally, all the fieldwork for these polls was done before Corbyn's little revelation the other day.

Also, I have no idea about official membership figures or anything like that. I am just going by all the cut up Labour membership cards I've seen on Twitter in the last few days, with people saying they are joining the Lib Dems because of what Corbyn has done. There are a lot of Labour people out there who are feeling betrayed right now, and also a bit silly because they know we were right about Corbyn being a pro-Brexit man all along.

EDIT: Also, our membership now is much higher than it was pre-coalition, so it's obviously not just returning members

Well the conservative party membership is at an all-time low so....

A reminder that Twitter is just under 12% of market share and Facebook is very much I want a hard brexit now etc. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/280304/twitters-market-share-in-the-united-kingdom-uk/

As for if Labour is more popular without Corbyn. 

2010 29.4%

2015 30.4%

2017 40.0% 

A reminder in 2017, 75% of Tory constituencies voted leave and 61% of Labour constituencies did. 

According to these estimates, around 75% of constituencies that were won by the Conservatives in the 2017 general election voted to Leave, while around 61% of Labour constituencies voted to Leave. All seats won by the Scottish National Party and the Green Party, and a majority of the seats won by the Liberal Democrats and Plaid Cymru, voted to Remain.

https://fullfact.org/europe/did-majority-conservative-and-labour-constituencies-vote-leave-eu-referendum/

25 minutes ago, magicrat said:

Mate he's going to lose many more Remainers than he loses Leavers if he doesn't get off the fence.  A General Election is unlikely before Brexit

Where are they gonna go? And If it's such a big vote winner why are the lib dems in the political bargain bin with 2016's X Factor winner?

5 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Where are they gonna go? And If it's such a big vote winner why are the lib dems in the political bargain bin with 2016's X Factor winner?

If Brexit happens then millions will desert Labour. Many voters only supported them tactically because the Lib Dems had no chance and Labour were seen as the party that would oppose hard Brexit. I think its a more pertinent question to ask Labour leave voters where they would go if Corbyn backed a second vote and Remain won. Would they seriously swing behind the right wing nutjobs.

On 12/22/2018 at 12:07 PM, Denny Crane said:

Couple of questions for those who want another referendum.

What do you think parliament could agree on to be on the ballot?

Do you want No deal on the ballot?

Do you want the next referendum you are calling for to be legally binding?

Should there be a threshold higher than last time for the winner?

Should there be a general election prior to another referendum? 

Do you want to revoke article 50 prior to another referendum or an extension?

Reposting this as those in favour of another referendum seem keen to critique Labour's approach as unicorn etc but fail to offer anything other than STOP BREXIT. 

2 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

Reposting this as those in favour of another referendum seem keen to critique Labour's approach as unicorn etc but fail to offer anything other than STOP BREXIT.

What exactly are you wanting these people to suggest other than "leave things as they are"? And by "as they are", I mean the full EU membership with all its benefits and drawbacks.

What do you think parliament could agree on to be on the ballot?

No Deal or No Brexit. They’ve tried negotiating, it’s not passing through the Commons, so what else is there? 

Do you want No deal on the ballot?

Yes. Otherwise there’s no point in a referendum. You can’t have ‘go back and talk to them’ because there’s nothing they’ll do. There must be an option for No Deal, as that’s one of the two possibilities available. You could have a ‘revoke article 50’ with a yes or no, but it’s the same thing really. 

Do you want the next referendum you are calling for to be legally binding?

Want? No, I want May to turn around and say ‘fuck off’ and revoke article 50, but that’s democratic voting for you. I think it has to be binding. Not that it matters, if there’s another vote and we vote to leave, we just carry on. 

Should there be a threshold higher than last time for the winner?

No. It should be the same as last time.

Should there be a general election prior to another referendum? 

Not necessarily. It’s a different issue. 

Do you want to revoke article 50 prior to another referendum or an extension?

It has to be an extension, surely. Until there’s a referendum to overturn the first, it should stay in place.