You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The 97

Anubis

1 hour ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Yeah absolutely it won't. The funny thing Longo is that back when Hillsborough happened, the country was a very violent place and football especially so, yet I would wager a very small segment of fans would see fit to mock death back then. Mad thing to say but within that football hooligan era, there was decency, be it Mancs working on the trains letting you off and laughing when they caught you bunking or the Cockney girls throwing you a free brekkie after missing the train home. Now they'd leave you in the rain or be delighted to call the old bill. A lot of these fuckers now are probably college educated and have good jobs. Football allows these knobheads to unleash their inner beast because a Tory government gave these little jumpstarts a platform to piss on Asians, Blacks, Irish etc and of course the old Scousers who are fair game for middle England.

I think we stand out because we are so un-English as a club - the Blueshite used to be as well but now they play the Uncle Tom role. To be fair, I never get the sense the Red Mancs lose too much sleep over England, but I think to all these little Englander clubs they despise us for that. Got talking to a nice Southampton fan on holidays who told me he likes us because of the 70s and 80s but we'd be second most disliked club after Pompey with a lot of their fans because of booing the anthem etc. A lot of people believe what they hear so just go along with hateful shit told about Hillsborough, just like they would about Brexit, or ethnic minorities.

sudden_realization_christopher_lloyd.gif

17 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

I think it certainly plays a part.They may come from labour areas but the booing of the national anthem and our percived indifference to the death of her maj, hasnt gone down well with the bootlickers.

the likes of derby,nottingham and sheffield are traditionally big labour areas and imho are some of the most vitriolioc towards the city..

me mate went to forest this season and said they were utter cunts,throwing down copies of the rag etc.  

Yeah Derby and Nottingham really have a serious attitude to us. Villa as well.

I was genuinely happy for Leicester fans when they won the league, but after hearing their shit, it's probably the last time I'll be rooting for another English team. I mean I like the current Brighton and Brentford teams, but I'm sure their fans would be the exact same. Fuck 'em all!

12 minutes ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

Yeah Derby and Nottingham really have a serious attitude to us. Villa as well.

I was genuinely happy for Leicester fans when they won the league, but after hearing their shit, it's probably the last time I'll be rooting for another English team. I mean I like the current Brighton and Brentford teams, but I'm sure their fans would be the exact same. Fuck 'em all!

i remember going to derby years ago (gerrard winner)and they literally spent 90 mins singing about being on the dole etc and when we get out they are literally the scruffiest sent of cunts ive ever seen.Bolton was another one.

I think brighton are not supposed to be that bad tbf.

1 hour ago, Arniepie said:

I think it certainly plays a part.They may come from labour areas but the booing of the national anthem and our percived indifference to the death of her maj, hasnt gone down well with the bootlickers.

the likes of derby,nottingham and sheffield are traditionally big labour areas and imho are some of the most vitriolioc towards the city..

me mate went to forest this season and said they were utter cunts,throwing down copies of the rag etc.  

Loads of forest and Sheffield fans have hated on us since Hillsborough. I think some other cunts are influenced by the national anthem thing, but this stuff has been everywhere before that became a big thing in the media, which is really just since Boris Johnson or one of his lackies brought it up.  It's just all getting media coverage now because there's people highlighting on our side, which like always happens, and that actually ramps it up. It's like the national anthem thing, someone claims the games were called off after the queen died because we would boo the national anthem. Then all these cunts think it's dead funny to sing it when they play us even though most of them don't want a king anyway. 

9 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Sheffield

Only place I've worked in the UK and Ireland where I never felt welcome.

In 4 weeks there, the only local at the office who spoke to me, my 2 scouse colleagues, and our colleague from down South (poor lad was probably seen to be guilty by association) was the security guard who signed us in the office every day (nice old bloke to be fair).

The rest of them were miserable stand offish cunts. I overheard a few comments about 'Duckinfield' and 'Scousers' said under breaths too, I was fucked if I was going to go out of my way to engage with them!

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

Only place I've worked in the UK and Ireland where I never felt welcome.

In 4 weeks there, the only local at the office who spoke to me, my 2 scouse colleagues, and our colleague from down South (poor lad was probably seen to be guilty by association) was the security guard who signed us in the office every day (nice old bloke to be fair).

The rest of them were miserable stand offish cunts. I overheard a few comments about 'Duckinfield' and 'Scousers' said under breaths too, I was fucked if I was going to go out of my way to engage with them!

I've had a couple of short periods there. Cunts to a man. And some fucking bellend ploughed into the back of my car as I was sat at the lights. And what a fucking shithole. There aren't many places you go that have nothing redeeming about them, but Sheffield is one. 

With all the chants they all hide behind "it's not about Hillsborough, it's about Heysel" or the Mancs say it is about Suarez. Even though they all smugly grin to themselves when they say that. 

They won't own it but then sing about the Sun being right so it is defo about Hillsborough because the Sun had nothing to do with Heysel. 

22 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I've had a couple of short periods there. Cunts to a man. And some fucking bellend ploughed into the back of my car as I was sat at the lights. And what a fucking shithole. There aren't many places you go that have nothing redeeming about them, but Sheffield is one. 

Went to college with loads of lads who all went to Sheffield University and raved off it. Couple of times I've been there I just thought the place was average and no real personality or notable buildings. I feel the same about Leeds as well but that has better pubs than Sheffield.

7 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

Went to college with loads of lads who all went to Sheffield University and raved off it. Couple of times I've been there I just thought the place was average and no real personality or notable buildings. I feel the same about Leeds as well but that has better pubs than Sheffield.

I think Leeds is loads better than Sheffield. But I agree, I'm not fussed on Leeds either. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

With all the chants they all hide behind "it's not about Hillsborough, it's about Heysel" or the Mancs say it is about Suarez. Even though they all smugly grin to themselves when they say that. 

They won't own it but then sing about the Sun being right so it is defo about Hillsborough because the Sun had nothing to do with Heysel. 

always the victim started by those scruffy cunts down the 62 circa 05/06.

fuck all to do with suarez or whatever else they come up with.

and if it was about hesyel, did it take them 20 years to learn the words?

The best thing about Yorkshire are the empty bits. The views, farms etc. The cities and towns are neither better nor worse than places in the North West, despite the fact they think it's the centre of the universe. 

They take ages to say anything too, you ask where t'market is and half way through the answer you have to point to your watch and remind them you've got to be in Brisbane next March.

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

Loads of forest and Sheffield fans have hated on us since Hillsborough. I think some other cunts are influenced by the national anthem thing, but this stuff has been everywhere before that became a big thing in the media, which is really just since Boris Johnson or one of his lackies brought it up.  It's just all getting media coverage now because there's people highlighting on our side, which like always happens, and that actually ramps it up. It's like the national anthem thing, someone claims the games were called off after the queen died because we would boo the national anthem. Then all these cunts think it's dead funny to sing it when they play us even though most of them don't want a king anyway. 

like I said I think its a whole mixture of things 

utd and everton was always the worst,city have obviously jumped on the bandwagon but it comes from everywhere now.

I agree that the fighting back aspect stirs it up as it confirms the self pityting/always the victim stereotype, 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

always the victim started by those scruffy cunts down the 62 circa 05/06.

fuck all to do with suarez or whatever else they come up with.

and if it was about hesyel, did it take them 20 years to learn the words?

They all brought copies of the quote from Boris Johnson and even sang "Boris was right, you're murderers". 

Victims and "they can never to even a small extent accept their wrongdoing" are part of the quote so it cannot be linked in any way to Heysel. They've all just twisted it to suit themselves but at the same time laugh smugly/passive aggressively say "we don't know why you've got that idea, you're playing the victim there"

12 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

They all brought copies of the quote from Boris Johnson and even sang "Boris was right, you're murderers". 

Victims and "they can never to even a small extent accept their wrongdoing" are part of the quote so it cannot be linked in any way to Heysel. They've all just twisted it to suit themselves but at the same time laugh smugly/passive aggressively say "we don't know why you've got that idea, you're playing the victim there"

yep.They think its a gotcha moment.

wasnt it the sun was right,your murderers?I remember that particular ditty 1 year.

all the bandwagon jumpers claim its not about that,which means they are that thick they are singing a song which they dont know the meaning of.  

2 hours ago, Arniepie said:

i remember going to derby years ago (gerrard winner)and they literally spent 90 mins singing about being on the dole etc and when we get out they are literally the scruffiest sent of cunts ive ever seen.Bolton was another one.

I think brighton are not supposed to be that bad tbf.

I was near the Anny Road end of the Main Stand a few years ago when Stoke fans were singing "Liverpool's a shit hole".  I shouted back "You live in Stoke!". One bloke looked at me, shrugged and nodded.

• Haha 1

We should be announcing from now on until the end of the season, that next season any club whose fans sing this chant either at home or away will be banned en masse from the next fixture at Anfield. 

Fuck them and fuck whether we’d lose a few quid. 

How could any authority try and justify survivors of that day having to listen to that shite. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

3 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I was near the Anny Road end of the Main Stand a few years ago when Stoke fans were singing "Liverpool's a shit hole".  I shouted back "You live in Stoke!". One bloke looked at me, shrugged and nodded.

The lack of self awareness is almost admirable 

17 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

We should be announcing from now on until the end of the season, that next season any club whose fans sing this chant either at home or away will be banned en masse from the next fixture at Anfield. 

Fuck them and fuck whether we’d lose a few quid. 

How could any authority try and justify survivors of that day having to listen to that shite. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see a proper backlash one day.

Me mate went to Leicester last year and they were coming out with all sorts of shite.

There was absolute chaos outside. 

12 hours ago, Arniepie said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see a proper backlash one day.

Me mate went to Leicester last year and they were coming out with all sorts of shite.

There was absolute chaos outside. 

A west Ham fan got his head kicked in this season for it. Also Chelsea fans spat on the memorial and got filled in a few seasons back. 

On 06/04/2023 at 16:18, Barrington Womble said:

Loads of forest and Sheffield fans have hated on us since Hillsborough. 

I think this is reasonably simple to explain why, Forest fans will not hear a bad word said about Clough so have adopted the position of "defend him at all costs" despite his utterly abhorrent views on Hillsborough. Wednesday fans similarly do not want to see their precious home described as a deathtrap, so both view us as the default enemy for daring to suggest any wrongdoings.    

I don't think it is all Forest fans in all honesty, but it 's definitely a lot. I have never spoken to one Wednesday fan who wasn't a prick over Hillsborough. 

• Upvote 2

To the friends and loved ones of the 97, and to those of the ones who were forced to endure the trauma and could see no way out, my heart continues to go out to you.

To the police force, the FA, UEFA, FIFA and the government, you have to go over and above to ensure nothing like this ever happens again, as there have been too many close calls. Sort it out.

To Sheffield Wednesday, I get that the finances involved make it a massive challenge for a club that hasn't dined at the top table in over 2 decades, but have a serious think about whether you want to retain an archaic and continuing potential death trap of a stand. You and I both know it should have been razed to the ground long ago and replaced with a safe and comfortable modern stand for all supporters. A rosier future for your club might well be linked to a brand new Leppings Lane End, you never know.

To the supporters of other clubs, tragedy chanting is not 'bantz', it is based on long-held nastiness and inaccurate reporting of the facts. Sing about your club. Sing about your team. Sing about your players. Leave all the other shit out.

RIP 97.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 5