You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The 97

Anubis

On 31/01/2023 at 17:20, Harry's Lad said:

Agreed. 

Those lost at Hillsborough and the families were badly let down by those two.

You would have hoped for better from Howarth with him being a local but no. He was just as despicable as the rest of them.

Just noticed this. What did or didn't he do?. 

He's been Labour MP for Knowsley for years yet no one knows what he's actually achieved.

30 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

He's been Labour MP for Knowsley for years yet no one knows what he's actually achieved.

He was a home office minister when Straw refused a public inquiry and did fuck all to help the cause which is unforgivable for a local MP imo. 

41 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

Uselessness by stealth! He has for most of his 36 years in parliament he's been a backbencher with all the impact of a feather on trident missile.

Definitely a case of putting a red rosette on a dog and people voting for it!

28 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

Uselessness by stealth! He has for most of his 36 years in parliament he's been a backbencher with all the impact of a feather on trident missile.

Definitely a case of putting a red rosette on a dog and people voting for it!

This is the problem across our region. If you get nominated to stand under labour, be that MP, councillor, mayor you've pretty much got a guarantee of a job for life. There's no requirement to be good or even honest. Just turn up. Despite being a labour party member, I've been voting green for a while. 

• Upvote 1

What is the leppings lane like now, is it basically the same shit hole with seats? Have they done anything to entry and exit? 

I went to Hillsborough probably about 5 times up to and including the disaster. I went back for the 1st anniversary, but obviously never went in and then returned for a match and I found it too traumatic to go in and my brain has decided to block most of it out, I don't even remember where my ticket was for. So I don't even have any real recollection of if any changes were made immediately after. 

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

What is the leppings lane like now, is it basically the same shit hole with seats? Have they done anything to entry and exit? 

I went to Hillsborough probably about 5 times up to and including the disaster. I went back for the 1st anniversary, but obviously never went in and then returned for a match and I found it too traumatic to go in and my brain has decided to block most of it out, I don't even remember where my ticket was for. So I don't even have any real recollection of if any changes were made immediately after. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11859515/amp/IAN-HERBERT-Sheffield-Wednesdays-scandalous-cover-shows-weaselly-club-no-humility.html

Ian Herbert goes to town on Sheffield Wednesday. If you don't want to read it, essentially nothing has changed.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Pretty much, yes.

I understand the fact that Sheffield Wednesday having spent over 2 decades now outside the top flight makes it difficult financially for them to redevelop it, but it is striking that their solution in the early 90s (when they were a top flight club) was to simply make the lower terrace all-seater instead of tackling and resolving issues with ingress/egress and crowd management. The stadium has seen an overhaul in much the same way as Goodison, and yet was selected as one of the venues for Euro 96.

It took the Belgian authorities a decade to raze the majority of Heysel to the ground and rebuild the stadium. Ibrox got a major overhaul about half a decade after the staircase disaster there in the early 70s. The Luzhniki in Moscow was the scene of a similar disaster in the early 80s but I don't know what safety measures were taken by the Soviet authorities in the aftermath. The stadium was rebuilt in the mid 90s, and got a second (and bigger) overhaul in readiness of their hosting of the 2018 World Cup.

My point is that, even when incidents have highlighted failings in stadium infrastructure and/or crowd management, it's taken quite a while for change to happen.

In the case of Hillsborough, it seems pretty evident to me that because of the lies around what really happened in 1989 setting the narrative, the club never felt the Leppings Lane infrastructure and crowd management policies were the issue. They were not haunted by guilt for their part in the disaster because the blame was laid elsewhere, so they saw no reason to remove and improve, just fulfil the bare minimum of Lord Justice Taylor's recommendations.

In terms of space and capacity, they could have gone down the route of Goodison and built something like the Park End - a functional 90s stand with 5-6000 seats that is far safer than what was there before, and that would have been a significant step in the right direction.

The SYP is a different matter.

• Upvote 1

It was a complete and utter disgrace that stand was not bulldozed by the mid 90s & even more unbelievable that it is still standing now.

Sheffield Wednesday are a club I would happily see go out of business, a quick visit to a Neutral Facebook page to see some of their supporters opinions on their shithole of a stadium will back this up.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

As with City, a bit of a half-arsed apology, but I suppose it's some sort of acknowledgement of the problem.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/article/club-statement-on-offensive-chanting 

All 33 words of it, and not even a name put to the statement. Talk about half arsed like. 

I'll never defend what the Mancs do because a sizeable minority of their support are vermin, but I can at least acknowledge we played a part in the rivalry becoming toxic. 

Chelsea were always utter scum and from living in London for a bit in the 80s, they had special contempt for us and Everton (hillarious that mostly younger blues now want the pat on the head from clubs like Chelsea and City they used to piss all over for being good little Scousers). Absolute shithouse of a club compared to Arsenal and Spurs back then.

What bugs me is all the other clubs, be it Leicester to Newcastle to Sheffield Wednesday use Hillsborough to get at us. I mean I hate the banter culture, but I can see how the Steve Gerrard song might pass as funny to oppossing fans.

I'm so happy that nothing happened to thr Geordies, but I have memory of them singing the always the victim ditty, so at least this might act as a little reminder to them and other fan bases that it could have been them dealing with a tragedy.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ronnie Whelan said:

I'll never defend what the Mancs do because a sizeable minority of their support are vermin, but I can at least acknowledge we played a part in the rivalry becoming toxic. 

Chelsea were always utter scum and from living in London for a bit in the 80s, they had special contempt for us and Everton (hillarious that mostly younger blues now want the pat on the head from clubs like Chelsea and City they used to piss all over for being good little Scousers). Absolute shithouse of a club compared to Arsenal and Spurs back then.

What bugs me is all the other clubs, be it Leicester to Newcastle to Sheffield Wednesday use Hillsborough to get at us. I mean I hate the banter culture, but I can see how the Steve Gerrard song might pass as funny to oppossing fans.

I'm so happy that nothing happened to thr Geordies, but I have memory of them singing the always the victim ditty, so at least this might act as a little reminder to them and other fan bases that it could have been them dealing with a tragedy.

It won't. It's entrenched now and point scoring over the deaths of innocent people is apparently fair game on twitter. 

It is simply hatred of us isn’t it, fuck the Scousers! A lot weren’t from Liverpool that day, a bit like the the 39 Italians not that it matters as those poor people also went to a game and never came home. The Tories and the Media hold a lot of blame especially in the 80’s this needs to stop or at least punish the horrible bastards, drag them out the crowd and ban and fine them.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

It won't. It's entrenched now and point scoring over the deaths of innocent people is apparently fair game on twitter. 

Yeah absolutely it won't. The funny thing Longo is that back when Hillsborough happened, the country was a very violent place and football especially so, yet I would wager a very small segment of fans would see fit to mock death back then. Mad thing to say but within that football hooligan era, there was decency, be it Mancs working on the trains letting you off and laughing when they caught you bunking or the Cockney girls throwing you a free brekkie after missing the train home. Now they'd leave you in the rain or be delighted to call the old bill. A lot of these fuckers now are probably college educated and have good jobs. Football allows these knobheads to unleash their inner beast because a Tory government gave these little jumpstarts a platform to piss on Asians, Blacks, Irish etc and of course the old Scousers who are fair game for middle England.

4 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

It is simply hatred of us isn’t it, fuck the Scousers! A lot weren’t from Liverpool that day, a bit like the the 39 Italians not that it matters as those poor people also went to a game and never came home. The Tories and the Media hold a lot of blame especially in the 80’s this needs to stop or at least punish the horrible bastards, drag them out the crowd and ban and fine them.

I think we stand out because we are so un-English as a club - the Blueshite used to be as well but now they play the Uncle Tom role. To be fair, I never get the sense the Red Mancs lose too much sleep over England, but I think to all these little Englander clubs they despise us for that. Got talking to a nice Southampton fan on holidays who told me he likes us because of the 70s and 80s but we'd be second most disliked club after Pompey with a lot of their fans because of booing the anthem etc. A lot of people believe what they hear so just go along with hateful shit told about Hillsborough, just like they would about Brexit, or ethnic minorities.

• Upvote 4

Its a mixture of things,the city is despised by a fair number of people because it doesnt tend to join in with the collective bootlicking of the royals and is seen as left wing,years of daily mail stereotypes and the envy of being one of the most successful clubs in the country.

its not everyone but its a sizeable amount.

Im not going anywhere near twitter on the anniversary.

40 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Its a mixture of things,the city is despised by a fair number of people because it doesnt tend to join in with the collective bootlicking of the royals and is seen as left wing,years of daily mail stereotypes and the envy of being one of the most successful clubs in the country.

its not everyone but its a sizeable amount.

Im not going anywhere near twitter on the anniversary.

The mad thing is most football clubs in the top flight come from strong labour voting areas. I don't think us being left wing has much to do with it. I think it's far more simple, certain people seem to love to hate and all their easy targets have been outlawed. We're the only ones left and Hillsborough is a pretty easy thing to use as a hate stick if you're a cunt. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

The mad thing is most football clubs in the top flight come from strong labour voting areas. I don't think us being left wing has much to do with it. I think it's far more simple, certain people seem to love to hate and all their easy targets have been outlawed. We're the only ones left and Hillsborough is a pretty easy thing to use as a hate stick if you're a cunt. 

I think it certainly plays a part.They may come from labour areas but the booing of the national anthem and our percived indifference to the death of her maj, hasnt gone down well with the bootlickers.

the likes of derby,nottingham and sheffield are traditionally big labour areas and imho are some of the most vitriolioc towards the city..

me mate went to forest this season and said they were utter cunts,throwing down copies of the rag etc.