You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tories - convince me you're not evil

Gym Beglin

In the last few weeks I've seen the following headlines, including in right wing nespapers.

'NHS on verge of collapse' 

Prisons crisis

Police crisis

Schools crisis 

Social care on verge of collapse

Rise in fly tipping blamed on council cuts 

Tory popularity rises 

1650338573-5a938a64_299morrie.jpeg

There's something quite unreasonable going on here 

• Upvote 4

All of that will be sorted once all the foreigners fuck off, though.

I think it's more of a 'shock and awe' thing. 

I remember some heinous bitch in our old HR department saying that when they have mass layoffs, they deliberately create an atmosphere of uncertainty in the company in the aftermath, and then slowly wind things down a bit, so that people who've made it through without getting the chop are simply so relieved they won't kick up a stink. They're satisfied with less. 

I think that's what the Tories used the credit crunch and austerity for. The whole population is holding on for dear life and they don't think there's any workable alternative.

That's probably why the news love peddling the stories about Greece etc.  

I'm a lefty so therefore dont support the House of Lords. I think you are preaching to the choir on this one.

I'm sure as soon as we have finished off taking control back from those unlected folks in Brussels those champions of fairness like Boris and Farage will turn their attention to ridding us of the unelected House of Lords.

Not to mention things like stopping the tax payer having to pay for the likes of Buckingham Palace to be redecorated and taking back the land the landed gentry have etc. 

Johnson and Farage are clearly fans of the working classes and ensuring a fair and just World for the populace so it surely must happen?

I'm sure as soon as we have finished off taking control back from those unlected folks in Brussels those champions of fairness like Boris and Farage will turn their attention to ridding us of the unelected House of Lords.

Not to mention things like stopping the tax payer having to pay for the likes of Buckingham Palace to be redecorated and taking back the land the landed gentry have etc.

Johnson and Farage are clearly fans of the working classes and ensuring a fair and just World for the populace so it surely must happen?

Can't wait!

Zero hours contracts at their highest figure ever - 910,000.

Story in the Independent that some schools are asking parents to help contribute towards textbooks - some up to the sum of £600.

I'd initially decided not to go to London for the NHS demonstration tomorrow, but in light of recent events I think we need as many people on the street tomorrow as possible, so booked my train tickets a few days ago.  Thanks for the even earlier start Lime Street wall.  Have also volunteered to do more for the Metro Mayor campaign, and will be putting myself forward as a self-funding delegate for our CLP at the party convention in September.  I'll also be volunteering to work on the Gorton by-election.  Will also be raising debate regarding proportional representation and left cross-party co-operation t a general election via the CLP.

Let's face it, we're facing an unprecedented attack on the NHS, schooling disabled people, and the poor (I'm not just talking those on benefit, but those working who rely on benefit to make up their money).  It's no good whinging about it on a forum if none of us actually try to do anything.  If any of you are involved in your local Labour Party/Green Party/Etc and want to discuss ideas where there may be common ground or things we can do, shout out.

• Upvote 9

More gratuitous cruelty.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/mar/03/bereavement-benefits-cut-to-help-people-readjust-to-life-as-single-parents?CMP=twt_gu

A Conservative minister has defended a decision to reduce benefits paid to widows and widowers with young children by claiming the old system risked stopping people from “readjusting” to life as a single parent.

Richard Harrington claimed that a societal shift in which women were more likely to work meant it was right to reduce the time over which payments were made. He also defended not extending the payments to unmarried but cohabiting couples by saying it might be too upsetting for them to provide evidence that they lived together.

• Upvote 1