You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Where are we all now with Brendan?

Paco

Where are we now with Brendan?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. should we sack Brendan now?

• yes, sack him now
    • Don't be ridiculous

How could anyone have changed their mind? We've has two one nil wins were we created next to nothing, scoring one long range effort and a goal that should have been chalked off for blatantly offside, in the same game Bournenouth scored a perfectly fine goal. Next comes the backs to the wall heroic point against Arsenal were we played like a small club and celebrated the point like one. Followed by our record home defeat.

Throw in Lovrem playing ahead of Sakho which is just downright stupidity and it's clear as day that nothing has changed.

The only ones left wanting Rodgers to stay are those who think his shit smells of roses.

I was thinking more of people who wanted to give him another season having seen enough already and want him out.

You anti mob are very much against mind changing.

Maybe Ancelotti would have given himself better options in the 1st place.

I think that is the point - when does it become about the players?

If Ancelotti needs another three years and 200 mill to get it right - either our entire playing squad has no value or he is not that good.

I don't think he can come in and take the squad as it is and get to fourth - and I don't think he would want to try.

I was thinking more of people who wanted to give him another season having seen enough already and want him out.

You anti mob are very much against mind changing.

I guess that makes me part of the anti mob . A position I've held from virtually the time he was appointed, I've seen things about Rodgers at times I have liked but I have never thought he was the man to relight the flame . I would have loved to have been proved wrong and made to change my mind. 

We are far to short on timely goals and grit to grind to a 4th place finish. And that is only the way us (or anyone else bar the obvious top 4) will get there.

I disagree. I think you're attributing failures our team's displayed to the players, rather than the manager, from whom they take their cue. We have a 1 in 2 striker, two Brazilian international AMs, the former PSG captain, the best young RB in the league etc.

We have decent players, and sooner or later the assumption that they're to blame has to be questioned, surely?

Fourth is simply a case of beating whoever is the lowest hanging fruit of the top four, and no matter the year there's usually one who's misfiring. If we were half way competent last season, we'd have achieved it, and I think we could do so this time as well.

We have decent players

I shortened that for you.

Everyone has decent players - the clubs above us have alot of good players and a few world class ones.

Squads full of decent players don't get enough results over the course of a season to get 4th.

Lets be brutally honest - in the modern league (read after City cash infusion) we have never done what you suggest. Amass enough points the hard way to grind to 4th.

We have had two years where we spit the bit for the title ( one of those was the culmination of a 5 year plan of a pretty good manager and the other was hanging onto the coattail of the best player in the world at the time) and so never really had any of that pressure - albeit we did have a far better kind of pressure during those seasons. 

Other than that we finish out of the money.

I shortened that for you.

Everyone has decent players - the clubs above us have alot of good players and a few world class ones.

Squads full of decent players don't get enough results over the course of a season to get 4th.

Lets be brutally honest - in the modern league (read after City cash infusion) we have never done what you suggest. Amass enough points the hard way to grind to 4th.

We have had two years where we spit the bit for the title and so never really had any of that pressure - albeit we did have a far better kind of pressure during those seasons. 

Other than that we finish out of the money.

I disagree. I think we elevate the quality of other sides' players because of the results they get, to the point where we convince ourselves it's a night and day comparison. It's a vicious cycle. In our team Mata would be a plodding AM who doesn't track back and failed at Chelsea, Mangala a brainfart of a CB we spent too much on, Giroud a middle of the road striker.

The problem with drawing a correlation between the modern post City era and getting fourth - intimating that it's impossible - is that for the entire time we've had managers who're ill equipped to get there. Kenny looked out of place many times during his final hurrah, and Rodgers is, well, Rodgers. 

We have no idea how good our players are, really, as we so often fail to get even close to the performances that they've displayed elsewhere out of them. 

I'm not saying getting fourth would be easy, or that we have a better squad than the team's above us, just that we've got players good enough to overtake the inevitable misfiring team from the top four in any given year, should we look like the sum of our parts.

You see I don't think we should sack him just yet but I wouldn't think it was ridiculous if we did.

Of course it would be ridiculous; you don't give someone a boat load of money to spend over the summer and then sack them after one defeat. The time to sack him was immediately after that Stoke game at the end of last season. Guess we fucked it up again.

Did United elevate Swansea players last week? Will Shaqri's quality at Stoke be elevated?

Other teams get results against us because we are not that good. Collectively the team may be better than we are showing now but not 20 points better.

Yes, Utd made Swansea look better than they are, just like we did against West Ham. Neither side is playing as well as its constituent parts should, and we're in a race to see who can fuck up the most. I'd like us to change manager before it's us.

I think we could make up those 20 points. The way in which we started and finished last season shows how much room there is for error and yet still be fairly close.

With a 1 in 2 striker, an energetic midfield, a very good AM, a couple of solid CBs and a great RB we should be in the race for top four.

Of course it would be ridiculous; you don't give someone a boat load of money to spend over the summer and then sack them after one defeat. The time to sack him was immediately after that Stoke game at the end of last season. Guess we fucked it up again.

You are absolutely right, sacking Brendan after giving him a boat load of money to spend over the summer, after we have lost one game this season is ridiculous. And yet here we are. Guess someone owes Pascoe and Marsh an apology.