You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Where are we all now with Brendan?

Paco

Where are we now with Brendan?  

128 members have voted

1. 1. should we sack Brendan now?

• yes, sack him now
    • Don't be ridiculous

Have never been a fan, genuinely, even when we were going for the title I was genuinely baffled as to how it was happening as we were just as bad at the back and tactically haphazard then as we are now, but I doffed my cap to that achievement. I suspected we'd come a cropper due to both those traits though, especially in Europe which we did. 

I wanted him gone badly but when he didn't get the boot I just put it out of my mind. I felt we'd had a good summer's transfer  business though and I still do, I also think we'll have a better season than we did last season. 

If he was fired tomorrow I wouldn't shed any tears, but if he turns it around I'll be made up. But, for anyone who wasn't unconvinced by at the start of the season Rodgers, I don't think enough has happened this since then to explain such a big turnaround in their attitude. 

• Upvote 9

It's a matter of when (probably the summer) not if.

I don't blame Brendan. He didn't come here claiming that he had won things, knew the domestic, European and international transfer markets, was experienced in European competition, and had built teams before, because he hadn't.

Whether that should have been the job description is another matter.

• Upvote 3

I don't blame Brendan. He didn't come here claiming that he had won things, knew the domestic, European and international transfer markets, was experienced in European competition, and had built teams before, because he hadn't.

What the hell did he claim in that terse 150+ page manifesto of his then?

• Upvote 3

Was prepared for him to have this season with his own players to see if he could turn it around, but wouldn't lose any sleep over him being sacked.

The first three games offered encouragement (though there were also a lot of warning signs) but Saturday's result has shattered any optimism there was. 

I wouldn't sack him right now but performances need to improve quickly. I also can't see him being sacked before Christmas anyway, he's been backed in the transfer market and he's brought in new coaching staff so I can't see the owners just binning him straight away.

• Upvote 2

So what do you reckon was in the 180 page drossier  Xerexes ?

I support the team, I can't support him any more. I'm beginning to dislike everything about the man, from his new teeth, his new bit on the side, his delusional post match interviews, his transfers, his selections and his substitutions.

I don't want us to lose games like some fuckwits on here but perhaps losing games is the only way we'll get rid and bring in someone with a winning CV. I don't think, under Rodgers, that anyone needs to 'hope' we lose games, it's just going to happen anyway.

I've read it. On page 126 he claims he can open any jar with his bare hands.

That must be it.

I've also heard that he was outstanding at laying cones in straight lines at Chelsea and that from a young age he could dominate the space by the cookie jar. 

I just can't see any coherence any more. 

I made the case for bringing in a young manager, for laying down a template for a style of play, and I was happy to stick with him even when results were poor in that first season, provided there was a system being put into place. Now, there isn't. His greatest asset was his adaptability, but he's changed in a chameleonic fashion once too often and now he's completely adrift, unaware of his own style or how to right things.

His possession football was flagging, so he changed, but having come across a flair for empowering attacking players he's bizarrely doubled down on number 10s and restricted the playing time of strikers. It's akin to watching some kid trying to find a cheat formation in a football game ("What if I play Obafemi Martins as a goalkeeper?").

Our play has been poor for some time, and the use of the players brought in and the committee's role was only a partially true distraction from the root cause f the manager. Each sign of something better is latched onto like it's embryonic proof of our potential being realised - one half at Arsenal, a brave effort against Madrid - but in reality it's just a good performance here and there; no different to what Spurs, Southampton or even Palace achieve. 

Treating Lucas like a ginger stepchild, then stroking his face in the press; failing to sign a DM, then suddenly realising that they have a use; signing multiple strikers, then failing to play two at a time; picking Lovren over Sakho; it's becoming a litany of weird decisions.

He's a product of what we needed though. With no strong leaderships in the upper echelons of the club, we needed a headstrong manager, who'd back himself no matter what. So we can hardly complain when we get someone who tips over the edge of confidence and struggles to assess his own failings.

My fear before the season began was that we'd isolate Benteke, confuse decent players by continually shifting formations and playing them out of position, and nothing I've seen thus far has assuaged those fears. If we stick with him, we'll probably have a decent enough run at some point, but when the wheels come off he has no way to counter the downward momentum, and that's the sign of a manager out of his depth.

I have even less faith in the owners to find a better replacement though.

• Upvote 20

Thought it was a risky appointment , never been much of a fan even when we were flying with Suarez and thought he may well have gone last Xmas . Definitely should have been given the bullet after the massacre at the Brittania. I am gutted that he has proved me right and fearful that we are going to have another season of misery whilst this pantomime plays out to it's inevitable conclusion. 

What where they doing in giving a manager that had won fuck all and never been in charge of a top team the job.? Work experience scheme for rookie managers is what we have become and the experience bit doesn't seem to be having the desired effect. 

• Upvote 2

It's already starting to unravel with yet another surrender to a team we should be beating. The owners have got got to start looking at the available talent in Klopp and Ancelotti and doing everything they can to bring them here, or they simply shouldn't be custodians of the club.

• Upvote 2

Get rid now. His presence is detrimental to the club and the way he is dealing with the squad, his post match guff and his pre-match arrogance once we have a few decent results is obscene. He is not a Liverpool manager and he had me fooled for a bit.

• Upvote 1

Get rid now. His presence is detrimental to the club and the way he is dealing with the squad, his post match guff and his pre-match arrogance once we have a few decent results is obscene. He is not a Liverpool manager and he had me fooled for a bit.

I think if he goes now then the owners should think about packing up too, it would be a ludicrous situation. Axe his bakroom team and give him loads more money  to spend but then fire him after one loss is nuts. He'll go at Christmas if he's going to go IMO. 

I have little faith he knows what our best system is, and that if he did find a good system that he wouldn't just shoe horn payers in, we need to play 2 up top, that has been evident since we lost Suarez.

His continued persistance with 433 makes my blood boil, he has tried it at the beginning of every season and it doesn't work.

I had high hopes for him, but was always of the assumption he needed an older head (DOF) above him, maybe once he is gone FSG will insist on that again.

• Upvote 2

I can't think of a word that isn't offensive to those who want the manager sacked now, simply anyone thinking clearly should realise it is crazy talk right now.

We are four games in to a season with a new back room staff and team.Last season I was getting frustrated with what fans were saying but lately I've been laughing because the nonsense they are coming up with is unbelieveable, no wonder the owners aren't interested in their views.The last couple of days I've seen fans criticise BR for not developing young players, it's real lol stuff.

I'm not making any judgements either way right now as it's way too early, if it becomes clear BR is the wrong man I will say it but that's far from the case right now, if we had beat west ham it would have been our best ever start but some fans want to believe we our at our lowest point ever.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

Is one year into a new four year contract the right answer?

Three years equals £15m in wages. CL qualification is worth £35m. Look at hat we paid for Lovren, Lallana, Markovic, Balotelli. The cost of not changing could be considerable- especially if he is let loose on the January window.

But having backed him, FSG will probably want him to go on the basis that he has patently fucked up, rather than that they had precipitously pulled the trigger.

Therefore, unless we are unceremoniously dumped out of the EL by the new year ,I think they will want to let him play out the season. His net spend has been modest this summer, the windfall growth in TV rights means that the coffers are still filling up for FSG. Can they be arsed to change?

I can't think of a word that isn't offensive to those who want the manager sacked now, simply anyone thinking clearly should realise it is crazy talk right now.

I am not calling for him to be sacked now, that time was after Stoke. But if Klopp or Ancelotti would come, that would change things.
  • Upvote 1