You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)

dennis tooth

• 1 month later...

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp admits he is baffled by the criticism captain Jordan Henderson receives.

The Reds skipper made his first start since December 22 after a hamstring injury and it was a confident return in the 3-0 win at Huddersfield.

Henderson has his critics but Klopp does not understand why the 27-year-old provokes such a negative reaction in some quarters.

48BEC06A00000578-5334339-image-m-46_1517

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp doesn't understand why Jordan Henderson receives criticism 

48BD953B00000578-5334339-image-m-3_15174

The Reds captain made his first start since December 22 as they beat Huddersfield 3-0

'For me, it is quite difficult to talk about the obvious things,' said the Reds boss.

'Jordan Henderson is a very good footballer; he is an England international player and for us our skipper. He may (even) skipper England, I have no clue.

'How can he not be a brilliant player when he is a Liverpool player? If somebody doesn't see his value, what can I do?

'Do you think after what I've said now they will see his value? I am not sure. I am happy he is back, very happy.'

Henderson's return to the deeper-lying central midfield role allowed Emre Can, who has been Henderson's deputy both in position and in terms of wearing the armband, more freedom.

48BF8CA300000578-5334339-image-a-49_1517

The German boss asked: 'How can he not be a brilliant player when he is a Liverpool player?

He responded with the vital opening goal and a much-improved performance after last weekend's FA Cup exit to West Brom.

Klopp was pleased with the reaction from the Germany international, the only midfielder to retain his place after Saturday, but has warned no-one should feel comfortable with their place in the side.

'Emre was not brilliant in the last game and played again and was really good and very important,' the Reds boss added. 'That Millie (James Milner) and Hendo are good and important players for us is not a surprise for me.

'In this system, Gini (Wijnaldum) and (Alex) Oxlade (Chamberlain) didn't start (but are) very important players as well. A little bit of pressure is not bad.

'If you have to perform to stay on the pitch, it's no problem. Sometimes we rotate because of physical things but usually you do it because of who looks better and who is maybe a little bit sharper.

48BEAD9000000578-5334339-image-m-50_1517

Klopp and Henderson celebrate after Liverpool's 3-0 victory at the John Smith's Stadium

'The boys wanted it and it helped that they had this kind of attitude, for sure.'

Klopp is anticipating a quiet transfer deadline day with a few departures as Lazar Markovic has to decide between a loan at Wolfsburg and Swansea while under-23 midfielder Ovie Ejaria is set for a temporary move to Sunderland.

He has reiterated, however, striker Danny Ings will not be leaving.

'It would be funny if somebody calls about Ingsy - I would love to respond: No chance!' he said.

'We will see what happens but there is no chance that Ingsy is on the market - only if I'm unconscious.

'Maybe something happens. It's clear who is a little bit (available).'

• Upvote 1

I thought we looked better with Henderson and he helped set the tempo. At his best he is an important player for us. He’s had injury problems which have affected his form, so a lot of people have gone a bit meh towards him. But he’s a good player, and I’d have no problems with Henderson, Keita and say, Lemar in a midfield three next season, in a 4-3-3.

• Upvote 1

Best game for a while but think we need to put it into perspective.  Huddersfield were utterly pathetic and had settled for a defeat before a ball was kicked.  Moreno would've had a decent game against these shitbirds.

TBH for all their "low prices for fans" goodness the second I heard those clappy-fan things that Fulham used I wanted them relegated and preferable in administration.

Anyway, Hendo played well but let's see if he starts and plays well against decent opposition on the weekend. 

• Upvote 1

Best game for a while but think we need to put it into perspective.  Huddersfield were utterly pathetic and had settled for a defeat before a ball was kicked.  Moreno would've had a decent game against these shitbirds.

TBH for all their "low prices for fans" goodness the second I heard those clappy-fan things that Fulham used I wanted them relegated and preferable in administration.

Anyway, Hendo played well but let's see if he starts and plays well against decent opposition on the weekend. 

This thinking is what holds the club back. It is like when he gets criticised for passing sideways. He is retaining possession but people want this gung ho approach all the time.

• Upvote 2

This thinking is what holds the club back. It is like when he gets criticised for passing sideways. He is retaining possession but people want this gung ho approach all the time.

Sorry mate no idea where you got the "want a gung ho approach" from my post.  Also people on the internet giving opinions on players is holding the club back?  Give over. 

I said he played well last night but it was in what may as well have been a practice game.  You'd think he'd just won a cup single handed the way the #IstandwithHendo twitter is going on. 

Let's see him do it against a team who tries, and then the next game, and then the next.  The he'll rightfully receive more praise as he did last night.

What holds the club back is the massive bout of self congratulations following wins and decent performances by players.  We need to take the Winston Wolf approach here "let's not start sucking each others dicks just yet"

• Upvote 3

It's annoying when he passes it sideways in the 88th minute while we're behind/drawing and need the extra goal.

I'm happy for him to retain possession any other time, we tend to play better as a team when he's on the pitch I'll admit, but when it comes to being the one who needs to whip in the critical assist he's a coward, always tries to give it to some other cunt next to him, and if there's no one next to him because they're all in the box waiting for the pass he'll spin 180 degrees and give it to fucking Mingolet.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Think that time is running out on our fearless leader. My guess is Virgil 4 takes the armband beginning of next season.

This fella has not played 90 minutes in two months and not played a full season in three years. Not set the world alight playing in the deeper role - albeit not his natural position and I think he has done pretty well considering that. Often overruns/overanticipates and gets caught on the wrong side instead of just containing would be my main criticism there. I have a feeling we will see a more natural deep midfielder brought in and I dont think Hendo has the toolkit to compete with Keita as the box to box first choice and Milner may be more useful as the utility mid.

Farewell my sweet Prince.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think we will bring in the top midfielder Klopp can get along with Keita. Not sure that will be a flavor of the month AM though - it would be a bigger upgrade if he could play at the base.

So the midfield could very well be:

A Nother

Milner/Hendo

Keita                                                      Lallana

Wiji                                                         Ox

Can we all not be a bit nice to Hendo, I mean fuck me he takes all the flak when we lose so how about a bit of credit after a fantastic win?

I don't like to see him get gratuitous stick either mate.  He played well enough the other night but speculating that he may not keep the captaincy next season is fair enough. I don't think anyone could say he has been an inspirational leader on the pitch. 

• Paul changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool
  • dave u changed the title to Jordan Henderson, MBE: World Club Cup, European Cup, European Super Cup, Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup & Charity Shield Winning Captain of Liverpool (and massive sellout)