You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2015

WhiskeyJar

No doubt we need goals but after watching the Chelsea match again I think we'd do well to get some kind of steel in the side. Both Sterling and Coutinho got flat out done by these shits and we did absolutely nothing in response. Really fucking soft we are.

• Upvote 1

I don't really care about Milner of Ings, as long as neither eats into the kitty put aside for a decent forward.

Ings will be riding the third choice striker merry-go-round, and we should get about the same fee back for Aspas.

Milner I quite like as a player, and City often look worse without him.

However, neither inspire confidence that we're progressing, and they join the ranks of those in the pot marked "can do a job" whilst we await the players who'll do a job extremely well.

Agree entirely with the overall post.  The highlighted text was my position last summer, but to be fair it never happens that way whatever has been said by the manager throughout, so seeing us target those two as a bad sign is my default setting.

If we break with recent tradition I'll be more than happy and give them credit then, otherwise will assume it's going to be another underwhelming summer well short of what we need.

I call it undertrust and oversurprised.

Our midfield is toothless

I think Milner is a good player, a good pro. and he is not injury prone, but he tends to be in the supporting cast rather than a lead. However his goalscoring record is poor and with Gerrard gone we need to pick up some midfield goals from somewhere.

Our whole team is a supporting cast. Last season we had two leads in Suarez and Sturridge. Now we've got a bunch of understudies walking into the backdrop and missing their cue.

Our midfield is garbage. Our strikers are garbage too, but our midfield is a barren field of docile hopelessness. 

And that was with Gerrard in the side. 

Under normal circumstances I'm sure he would have clattered one of them, but with his time so short couldn't risk it.

I feel for Sterling - not one of his teammates even complained about it, let alone drop one on that shit Fabregas. Really puzzling stuff to me.

Milner and Ings are mediocre, that's the last thing we need.

I wouldn't put the two together.

Ings is promising, but a gamble.

Milner is an experienced, proven top four player, international, and medals winner. I rate him well above Henderson.

I think that Brendan will go for him because he is a team player, versatile, rarely injured and is a model pro.

Obviously football is about opinions, and you may not rate him,fair enough, but I would have no complaints if he was brought in. My worry would be that he will command a very high salary for a low scoring midfielder, and we desperately need more goals in the team.

I wouldn't mind them. I quite like Danny Ings, he's much better than Austin and Berahino from what i've seen. He presses, he's fast and he puts a shift in every game, by far Burnley's best player.

We'll be very lucky to get Milner, i suspect he'll go to Arsenal. He can play anywhere, his workrate is Kuyt-esque and he's an important player for a team that were twice champions in 3 seasons.

Both for £4m represents far better value than Delph and Benteke for £50m and they would suit our style of play better and allow us to spend big money on a DM and one other striker that could improve us drastically. 

• Upvote 5

I'm fine with Milner and Ings. Prepared to give them a chance before totally writing them off. If Charlie Austin can score shit loads, and Ings get a decent tally for a fairly poor Burnley team, there's nothing to suggest that he can't improve on his tally for a better team who create more chances.

This Ntep bloke has apparently played down talk of an imminent move, saying he's under contract til 2017 and happy where he is. Looks decent though. Built like a brick shithouse, powerful, fast, decent finisher and looks good in the air too. Plus, he once capitalised on a keeper's error, dribbled it right up to the line, stopped the ball, then got on his knees to hear it in. We need a bit of arrogance in the team.

Celebrates like a twat though.

If we're scouting him at Rennais, we should be looking at their midfielder too, Abdoulaye Doucoure. He's had his progress stifled by a couple of bad injuries, but looks to be back to his best now. Is being mooted by a few as the next Yaya Toure due to his stature, power and style of play.

We'll be very lucky to get Milner, i suspect he'll go to Arsenal. He can play anywhere, his workrate is Kuyt-esque and he's an important player for a team that were twice champions in 3 seasons.

I'd take Milner too, without a doubt.  It puzzles me why people are talking like he's already signed though.  Wouldn't surprise me if Arsenal snapped him up and he did well there while we sign someone worse.  In fact, I think that's failry likely to happen. 

Milner is a good pro, who works hard and knows the league well so if we could get him it's a no risk, no frills signing and it adds a bit of experience and know how to a team very short in those areas.

Ings i am totally unconvinced about - but as long as he isn't our main striker signing this summer then for next to nothing and to be back up as number 3 striker then I suppose it's one worth doing......whats the odds that he turns out to be our main striker signing though?

I wouldn't mind them. I quite like Danny Ings, he's much better than Austin and Berahino from what i've seen. He presses, he's fast and he puts a shift in every game, by far Burnley's best player.

Both for £4m represents far better value than Delph and Benteke for £50m and they would suit our style of play better and allow us to spend big money on a DM and one other striker that could improve us drastically. 

Ings better than Berahino? From what You've seen? Glad it's sorted then!

We'll be lucky to NOT get Milner. He can play 3 positions, not anywhere, and he's not good enough at any of them, we have a better, more versatile and younger player in Henderson who's workrate is even higher.

Third paragraph is just pure balderdash.

We just do it too often, mate. We convince ourselves that "Oh he'll be a decent squad player, etc". Then 24 months later he's part of the massive clear out we have to have.

If a player doesn't improve our first team he shouldn't be signed.

• Upvote 7

We just do it too often, mate. We convince ourselves that "Oh he'll be a decent squad player, etc". Then 24 months later he's part of the massive clear out we have to have.

If a player doesn't improve our first team he shouldn't be signed.

I make you right on reflection - is he any better really than Borini for example...and he is no use to us at all.

Agree entirely with the overall post.  The highlighted text was my position last summer, but to be fair it never happens that way whatever has been said by the manager throughout, so seeing us target those two as a bad sign is my default setting.

If we break with recent tradition I'll be more than happy and give them credit then, otherwise will assume it's going to be another underwhelming summer well short of what we need.

I call it undertrust and oversurprised.

I think that's the sensible approach to take after last summer; set phasers to underwhelm. My only hope is that the squad filler that we'll inevitably accumulate doesn't cost us too much, which is why I'm not overly fussed about Milner and Ings. 

They look like the classic one-in-one-out type deals which should fund themselves (though wages might be an issue). They're preferable to the likes of Agger and co being shifted, paying off contracts and spending tens of millions on questionable replacements.

I'd give my right arm for the committee to recognise the importance of signing players like Bellamy though. Someone with just a couple of years left, with a track record of being a chippy little cunt who'll never give in.

Rodgers wants a striker who presses and grafts for the team - I reckon Ings fits that bill. If we create enough chances, he's got as much of a chance at scoring as anyone else.

Rickie and Balotelli scored in this league before they got here. It's as much how you play as who you play and by this point it doesn't look like we remember even how to play with strikers.