You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arise Sir Jordan?

Bjornebye

Im not saying Henderson is shite, he  is decent and can be excellent on his day, but It's like comparing an Mclaren P1 to a Ford Focus ST.

That's going to be the problem for any midfielder coming in now.  They will automatically be classed as "shite" when they fail to compare to Stevie. 

We need to find a player for the position, not try to replace the irreplaceable man.

He captained Southampton, where he came through the ranks, had everyone's respect and could lead by example.

He's now at Liverpool, and has been for five minutes.

I'm not saying he should be, Just saying its not as weird as you make out. 

Lallana may have them, but he hasn't done the time, and that may have a negative impact on more senior players who have much more LFC experience under their belts?

I expect Henderson to get the gig as he's vice-captain now, just saying that I think Lallana would do a good job if he happened to get it.

I think Henderson is professional enough to get on with the job if he's overlooked. None of the others would have cause to complain.

Lallana? Strangest shout for captain yet. He's too quiet, so would have to lead by example but so far has not shown the ability to do that.

I was agreeing with Section's point about composure and self-confidence being essential traits for a captain. Lallana has them, he's one of the few players this season who's looked like he knows what he's doing when he gets the ball.

If anyone other than Henderson ends up getting the armband, it'll be in large part because they've performed consistently well between now and the end of the season. I'd back Lallana to deliver on that if he keeps getting picked.

I think Sturridge would be a poor captain. He's a bit of a sulker at times, not to mention the injury problems.

Gerrard was a sulker, didn't mean he wasn't a good captain.

Sturridge offers a diet version of Gerrard's leadership by example, applying himself and digging the team out of the shit with his own ability. The injuries make it a moot point though, as I said.

We have no good leaders. It's Henderson by default, and that's not a good thing.

There isn't anyone in the squad you'd have much faith in making a good captain. Five or six years ago there would have been half a dozen.

Another consequence of our wonderful buy young and cheap policy. Well, buy young anyway. Guess they didn't think to enter that variable into their spreadsheet.

• Upvote 2

I think Sturridge could do it as he's got the confidence and the fear factor. I think captains should put the shits up the opposition in an ideal world, either because of their ability or their attitude.

Gifted strikers can have that effect if married with effort and professionalism, I thought Shearer was a good England captain.

• Upvote 1

What we need is a captain that sets the standard by accepting nothing but the best. Every day, every minute of every training session and every game from all players in the squad. A player who's won things, nows what it takes and can take this role with natural authority.

In other words we need to bring someone in. We've got plenty of promising youngsters, they'll need a leader.

I think Sturridge could do it as he's got the confidence and the fear factor. I think captains should put the shits up the opposition in an ideal world, either because of their ability or their attitude.

Gifted strikers can have that effect if married with effort and professionalism, I thought Shearer was a good England captain.

The problem with Sturridge being captain would be the same as when Rednapp was captain, he's not on the pitch enough. Although he is deffo at an age and standing to be captain if he can stay fit and if he could stay fit is the best shout I think.

I think Sturridge is the only option we really have. Yes he sulks but he has a big personality and has that driven nature about him. I'd give it him in the mean time and look to sign some big personalities (especially at cb and cm) bed them in over a season or so then we can see how good a job sturridge is doing and if we decide we need to pass it onto someone else.

Henderson is just a bit too nice. I've said it before and I'll say it again we need some bastards in this team. Someone who won't be afraid to give the other player and the opposition a rocket.

I appreciate my suggestion of Sturridge might not fit the bill but crikey he seems to be the best of a bad bunch. Sakho would be good alternative bit I fear he'll be off in the not too distant future as Rodgers doesn't seem to fancy him.