You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

I know most of us laugh at Everton but one thing they do well is involvement in the local community and encourage younger fans to come and watch them. I've tried to get stuff off Liverpool for charity events and although they did eventually give me a signed shirt to auction I had to jump through hoops and meet about four different people before they reluctantly gave me anything. Contrast that to Everton who sent one to me within a matter of days and even organised events for us to bring our kids to.

Most o the Evertonians I know take their kids to the match whereas most of the lads I know who support Liverpool don't. The club would rather have Thomas Cook tourists than a younger generation of Liverpool fans passionate about their team.

Have always felt like this about going the match to be honest, along with night clubs and open air concerts, it's the least respected you'll ever be as a paying customer.

Have you never enjoyed attending football matches?

I used to live for going the game when I was in my teens/early twenties. I couldn't have cared less about shit facilities or the stewards being cuntish and stuff.

I know most of us laugh at Everton but one thing they do well is involvement in the local community and encourage younger fans to come and watch them. I've tried to get stuff off Liverpool for charity events and although they did eventually give me a signed shirt to auction I had to jump through hoops and meet about four different people before they reluctantly gave me anything. Contrast that to Everton who sent one to me within a matter of days and even organised events for us to bring our kids to.

Most o the Evertonians I know take their kids to the match whereas most of the lads I know who support Liverpool don't. The club would rather have Thomas Cook tourists than a younger generation of Liverpool fans passionate about their team.

Spot on.

Have you never enjoyed attending football matches?

I used to live for going the game when I was in my teens/early twenties. I couldn't have cared less about shit facilities or the stewards being cuntish and stuff.

Yeah, I enjoy when I go, but never felt the desire to go religiously. I imagine in the 80s the facilities and the way you were treated was shit but it was cheap and working class, now the facilities and treatment is still shit but it's expensive and middle class.

Liverpool-legends.jpg

Modern football -  Where a bloody accountant gets front centre stage whilst Legends are put in the background.

Plenty of other things wrong in this pic, but il leave it at that.

Look at the fucking state of that.

Oooooh but FSG, oooh my life is meaningless, I just need to belong, I'll eat all the shit they'll sell me. You know who you are , YOU CUNTS. Lap that up whilst I play golf off your heads.

I sometimes feel my interest in football is in it's death throes, but it does have that endless capacity to keep you at the table playing one last chip, just in case.

I barely watch anything other than our games now domestically, it's purely a club thing for me, which it doesn't appear I'll ever shake.  Most of the rest of it leaves me cold, whereas during teens and twenties I just devoured the lot.

• Upvote 1

Supporting modern liverpool is like buying wrap after wrap of shit beak in your local, spending hundreds of pounds hoping the next one will be good.

But it never is, and just left with a shit aids hangover that you never properly recover from.

But you do it again next weekend.

• Upvote 1

I sometimes feel my interest in football is in it's death throes, but it does have that endless capacity to keep you at the table playing one last chip, just in case.

I barely watch anything other than our games now domestically, it's purely a club thing for me, which it doesn't appear I'll ever shake.  Most of the rest of it leaves me cold, whereas during teens and twenties I just devoured the lot.

Thats about my feelings at the moment. Disillusioned with the way football at the top is run.

I enjoyed watching that cup tie last night more than ive enjoyed any of our games this season

Bastard.  I downloaded that Nirvana set very recently from a torrent site.  It looks like they rocked the place.  What was it like from an in the crowd perspective ?

Yeah, they pretty much destroyed it.

I was quite far back, and they didn't have the screens that they use now, so the view wasn't all that great but...yeah. The place was packed out, I'd guess all the other tents were pretty much empty. A band at their peak.

I don't know what I'd have to do to get that kind of buzz nowadays *sob*

I was lined up to see them when they came to the UK, but unfortunately Cobain had a small meeting with a shotgun and the rest is history.  I fucking loved that band too.

And I know what you mean about trying to find that buzz.  I found it last season, but that was the joyride.  This season is the resultant head on smash up.

• Upvote 1

Ok, I'm boasting a bit now but here goes...

I'd seen them at Reading '91 and thought they were ok but not really paid attention. (I had them down as a poor man's Mudhoney...how wrong was I?)

When they toured the UK after Nevermind I saw them at Birmingam Hummingbird. They played what I thought was a pretty standard-length set, it all went off, then they smashed up their kit and left. No encore. Brilliant gig, I had a great time down the front, etc. etc. Loved it. On the way out I overheard someone complaining that they hadn't played for long. Checked my watch and it had only been 45 mins. I genuinely had no idea.

Ah, memories.