You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The shitness of modern football

Redder Lurtz

Spot on. Trophies no longer seem to be important, the FA Cup is almost a consolation prize these days before the lord mayor's parade that is the Champions League. It's fucking shit. It's like fans have been conditioned to think finishing fourth is the be all and end all of football because it's all the money men are interested in, yet the likes of us and Arsenal could see a time where that's our whole raison d'etre, to finish fourth year after year, so we can buy players to help us - erm - get back into the champions league. Footballing purgatory is what it is, neither heaven nor hell, just there. Bullshit.

The way Sky and BT sport have harvested the last of the free football also fucks me off. The CL won't be on ITV any more and I doubt I'll watch it again. Anything they can get their grubby little hands on they'll carve up. If I suddenly developed a liking for the Belgian league on Channel 5 one of the cunts would end up buying that too, slap a picture of Natalie Sawyer on the front and charge me 18 grand to watch it. Fuck off.  

My understanding of this is that it''l still be on ITV and also on BT rather than Sky

Sepp Fucking Blatter is the most powerful man in football.

That rot started when Havelange became FIFA president in the 70s, because his regime was the progenitor for the cash-for-votes culture that has enveloped FIFA ever since. Sure the game is global so the smaller and less wealthy FIFA members need a voice too, but the way both Havelange and then Blatter (the only two FIFA presidents in the last 40 YEARS!) have gone about making sure these smaller nations continue to support them is a big reason why the administration of the game stinks. FIFA having its own ethics committee is akin to the Nazi party having a pro-Jewish branch.

Nope:

"Next season ITV will lose the rights to live Champions League football after BT Sport spent £897m on an exclusive deal with Uefa."

To be fair, ITV's insistence on sticking with those shitsticks Chiles, Tyldesley and Townsend is another thing wrong with the game.

My understanding of this is that it''l still be on ITV and also on BT rather than Sky

BT has the UK CL rights for all live coverage.

http://www.btplc.com/News/Articles/ShowArticle.cfm?ArticleID=15D869F4-C14E-44A2-956E-A2C18B1751A9

BT wins all live UK TV rights to UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League

Exclusive live rights to all 350 matches a season for three years from 2015/16

Both finals to be free on BT Sport, as well as top matches from earlier rounds

BT Sport will be the new UK home of UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League football, following a tender process in which BT won the exclusive live broadcast rights to all 350 matches from both tournaments. The rights run for three seasons from 2015/16.

This is the first time a single UK broadcaster has won the exclusive live rights to all matches from both tournaments. The hundreds of additional top tier matches will boost BT Sport and make it the natural home for football fans who wish to see the very best European sides pitted against each other.

Its why I prefer to watch German football on a Saturday afternoon. 2.30pm kick offs,loads of goals,atmosphere and homegrown players. World champs too.

What's not to like?

And you can drink marvellous German beer at your seat in the games.  I go to Bayern every year for a game (two if I can grab a midweek one as well) and it costs around £17 a ticket in a quality seat.  Best thing about it is that you top a stadium card with cash up outside or just inside the stands so when you go for a beer or food you scan your card and walk away so you've not got Hans in front flicking through Euro's trying to give the right money and you're back in your seat in less than 2 minutes at half time.

Modern football has gone shit, but it's still a quality experience in some countries.

• Upvote 4

The thing about the game in Germany is that it is still looked at as a sport. Aside from Bayern chasing the cash, spending lavishly like a Premier League club and generally monopolising the trophies, the Bundesliga is still viewed as a spectator sport. Maybe German culture doesn't value the sort of soap-opera dynamics so prevalent in the Premier League, and it means that fans can enjoy the experience for what it is rather than being ripped off and constantly told how they should be viewing the experience, as is increasingly the case over here.

The structure of German football and its clubs means that as a whole they probably won't hit the financial heights of the Premier League, and the Bundesliga has pretty much always been Bayern with the rest following behind and occasionally handing the Bavarians a bloody nose, but the German game seems better primed to cope with any eventual bursting of the footballing financial bubble. Very much like the German manufacturing industry remaining strong in any prevailing global financial climate it seems.

I don't really get betting/gambling at all, do more than 5% of the people who do it make any money out of it?

I see people in the pub with their bookies pen running out the door every 20 minutes & think I'm glad I'm quite happy sitting with my pint having a blether instead. Probably helped that my Dad didn't bet so I wasn't brought up around it.

Not that I have a problem with anyone else doing it like.

• Upvote 1

The thing about the game in Germany is that it is still looked at as a sport. Aside from Bayern chasing the cash, spending lavishly like a Premier League club and generally monopolising the trophies, the Bundesliga is still viewed as a spectator sport. Maybe German culture doesn't value the sort of soap-opera dynamics so prevalent in the Premier League, and it means that fans can enjoy the experience for what it is rather than being ripped off and constantly told how they should be viewing the experience, as is increasingly the case over here.

The structure of German football and its clubs means that as a whole they probably won't hit the financial heights of the Premier League, and the Bundesliga has pretty much always been Bayern with the rest following behind and occasionally handing the Bavarians a bloody nose, but the German game seems better primed to cope with any eventual bursting of the footballing financial bubble. Very much like the German manufacturing industry remaining strong in any prevailing global financial climate it seems.

Its no surprise that Bayern are top 4 or 5 wealthiest clubs in the world, regularly in the Champions League, the most powerful club in Germany on and off the field.

Bayern werent even founder members of the Bundesliga, not being promoted to it until 2 years later in 1965. In many respects, their rise has mirrored ours. Only they embraced change far more readily than we have.

They've moved ground twice and now have the use of a magnificent stadium. All German clubs in the Bundesliga are run the same yet Dortmund are probably the only club that come close to Bayern.

Im not convinced by the statement that football is just seen as a game \ sport by all except Bayern.

I don't really get betting/gambling at all, do more than 5% of the people who do it make any money out of it?

I see people in the pub with their bookies pen running out the door every 20 minutes & think I'm glad I'm quite happy sitting with my pint having a blether instead. Probably helped that my Dad didn't bet so I wasn't brought up around it.

Not that I have a problem with anyone else doing it like.

No. Although many of the 95% (more than 95% probably) are well aware that they aren't. It's simply another form of entertainment for them.

People running to the bookies every 20 minutes won't be making any money.

• Upvote 1