You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

That there London

Anny Road

Spitalfields is one of the old London markets, it used to be the wholesale fruit and veg market, but that moved in the early 90s I think, and the market was done up and now you have a covered market surrounded by a lot of small independent shops, cafes and restaurants, as well as some of the boring chain restaurants. Its right next to Liverpool St station, so easy for you to get to.

If you like a bit of history, there are a number of tours you can do around the area, the Jack the Ripper one is prob the most famous one, as a Londoner, its the only tour I've ever done in London, and it was quite good and gives you a sense of the history of the area.

From there you are also very close to Brick Lane, with the largest array of curry houses in London, but also has the Old Truman Brewery which always seems to have something going on, and there's a few art galleries and interesting shops about. It also has Beigel Bake where you will get the finest salt beef bagel in the country.

• Upvote 2

Would you mind?

We really should be going for a week

Bear in mind I've not been in the area for a long time, some of places may have changed since I've been

The first thing you will probably come to is the Cutty Sark. They had the big fire after I lived in the area, but that gave them the opportunity I think to make it a better thing to visit/tour (not that I ever did it). Just next to that you have the Old Royal Naval College and the National Maritime museum, great buildings to walk around for their architecture, I only went inside the maritime museum, not the best museum in the world, but it was ok for a quick visit. They lead onto Greenwich park and at the top of the hill you have the Royal Observatory and the Planetarium. Well worth it to go up there for the view over to Canary Wharf, and whilst I never went to the observatory, it is very popular with the tourists. You've also got Greenwich market back down in the busy part, and an antiques market a little bit separate from that.

There are loads of great pubs in Greenwich, especially if its a nice day, many of which are away from the centre. There is the Trafalgar with views over the Thames, 2 or 3 on Royal Hill, particularly the Greenwich Union which is owned by the nearby Meantime Brewery so really good for craft beers. I think you can tour the brewery nowadays too.

If you like to walk, you could maybe go and see the deer herd at the far end of the park, and then walk over the Blackheath Village.

You also in easy reach of the O2 and the cable cars across the river.

Bear in mind that I haven't been to any pubs in Greenwich for a couple of years, but I'd inclined to avoid The Trafalgar. You tend to get a fair few dick-heads in there, or at least you do of a Friday night, etc. The Yatch (which is just around the corner from The Trafalgar) and The Cutty Sark Tavern are much better pubs with views over the Thames.

Other decent pubs include Richard I, The Plume of Feathers, and as The Woolster mentioned, The Greenwich Union.

Goddards Pie and Mash is boss. It's a family run business that goes back five generations.

Could go to the theatre where this is showing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-36986787

Billie Piper 'devastatingly good' in Yerma update

Former Doctor Who star Billie Piper has been praised by critics for her latest stage role, with one describing her work in Yerma as "devastatingly good".

The 33-year-old is "on raw, ferocious, spellbinding form" in the Young Vic's update of Federico Garcia Lorca's play, wrote the Evening Standard's reviewer.

According to The Times, Piper "steals the show" as "a woman consumed by obsession with her own infertility".

The Guardian was also impressed by her "breathtakingly uninhibited" portrayal.

"In the course of 100 minutes, Piper registers every phase of the character's mounting despair with stark clarity," wrote the paper's critic Michael Billington.

Piper, who played companion Rose Tyler in Doctor Who, plays a woman only known as 'Her' in Simon Stone's adaptation of Lorca's 1933 play.

The play relocates the action from rural Spain to contemporary London and recasts its heroine as a successful lifestyle journalist.

The result, writes Libby Purves in the Daily Mail, is "a tale for all ages" that has been given a "sharply witty, slangily modern updating".

The Stage's Tim Bano concurs, describing the play as "one hell of a punch to the gut thanks to Billie Piper's mighty performance".

Yerma, which also stars Brendan Cowell as Piper's on-stage partner, continues at the Young Vic in south London until 24 September.

If successful, it could go Stateside and be performed on Broadway. Might be in line for a Tony Award then. Geddit? A 'Tony' Award for Yerma? No? I'm wasted on you people.

• Upvote 5

Depending on the ages of any kids you've got with you I'd try for some on the day tickets to the Woman in Black at the Fortune Theatre on Russell St in Covent Garden. Disregard the film totally, it's worth seeing.

Covent Garden is lively, you have the market there and plenty of pubs. I'd also make use of the riverboat if you can. Greenwich and the O2 are some of the furthest east stops and then it can take you all the way into central town or further west without the sweaty congestion of the tube. It's dearer than the tube mind.

Goddards pie and mash in Greenwich is a good pie and mash, but if you're anywhere near Tower Bridge I'd try Manze's on Tower Bridge Rd or Cooke's in Broadway Market if you're near there.

There's a lot of outdoor cinemas on rooftops and in parks that aren't bad value,especially as you can take your own grub and booze to a lot of them.

Depending on the ages of any kids you've got with you I'd try for some on the day tickets to the Woman in Black at the Fortune Theatre on Russell St in Covent Garden. Disregard the film totally, it's worth seeing.

Covent Garden is lively, you have the market there and plenty of pubs. I'd also make use of the riverboat if you can. Greenwich and the O2 are some of the furthest east stops and then it can take you all the way into central town or further west without the sweaty congestion of the tube. It's dearer than the tube mind.

Goddards pie and mash in Greenwich is a good pie and mash, but if you're anywhere near Tower Bridge I'd try Manze's on Tower Bridge Rd or Cooke's in Broadway Market if you're near there.

There's a lot of outdoor cinemas on rooftops and in parks that aren't bad value,especially as you can take your own grub and booze to a lot of them.

The Harp, in Chandos place, is boss.

Thanks for all the recommendations, folks. Its a 3 generation all girls family trip so some of the suggestions will be held in reserve for future outings but the London Eye at night and possibly theatre is on the cards along with Borough market and a n other but probably not the Olympic stadium now. We should have booked for a week

That looks brilliant. My mum had picked out St Dunstans garden. The contrast between the two would be really interesting

The Duck and Waffle get very good reviews- top floor of Salesforce Tower on Bishopsgate, the tallest building in the City of London. Not cheap, but I've heard breakfast isn't too bad price wise. Fry up comes without beans though. https://duckandwaffle.com

It's a touch out of the way, about twenty five minutes from Waterloo and the a little more to get there, but the Isabella Plantation in Richmond Park is stunning and, unlike most gardens in London, free!

Team Champ!

The Duck and Waffle get very good reviews- top floor of Salesforce Tower on Bishopsgate, the tallest building in the City of London. Not cheap, but I've heard breakfast isn't too bad price wise. Fry up comes without beans though. https://duckandwaffle.com

Been there. A friend took me there when I was visiting the UK a couple of years ago. Great view, but not the biggest fan of the meal.