You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sakho

Pureblood

Selling Sakho  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Would it be a mistake to sell him?

I thnk our midfield makes life very difficult for our centrebacks alongside Rodgers having fullbacks that bomb forward and no decent defensive midfielder with enough pace or intelligence to fill the gaps. I'm not even sure Rodgers wants that anyway it's like he wants the centre backs to play both centre back and fullback roles and everybody else is an attacking midfielder until

The opposition get the ball and then it's an all out race to our box. I feel a bit sorry for our centrebacks.

Rodgers has a lot of work to do and for Jesus fucks sake learn this one lesson which every person on the planet recognised long long ago, a midfield of Lucas and gerrard doesn't work, it not only doesn't work it claims benefits illegally and sells crack to vulnerable kids. Pack it in.

Couldn't agree more about Gerrard and Lucas. To play 3 in midfield I'd say you need mobile, dynamic players. Lucas and Gerrard haven't got these attributes, and to play them together, regardless of opposition, is asking for trouble.

People in this thread seem to get titilated by Sakho and his pleasing 97% pass rate. Also seen a few champion his reading of the game. Rodgers obviously is not a fan for whatever reason. Would people like to see the French of big African descent get some games as a defensive mid in some games.

Who mentioned 97% pass rate apart from you? Thought you hated stats?

• Downvote 1

People in this thread seem to get titilated by Sakho and his pleasing 97% pass rate. Also seen a few champion his reading of the game. Rodgers obviously is not a fan for whatever reason. Would people like to see the French of big African descent get some games as a defensive mid in some games.

This isn't a terrible idea.

• Upvote 2

You always feel he's got the mistake in him don't you. Still I'm not sure he would've headed the ball in that direction on Saturday if we weren't chasing the game. Speculation only, so not too relevant maybe.

I'm more concerned about his ability to actually jump and head clear a corner when under pressure. This is an ability that to my opinion Skrtel doesn't have, his main weapon is standing still and holding the opponent. If Sakho can't do this either we really have a problem. Lovren is hopefully better in this department, but the only one I can recall doing it any conviction on Saturday was Balotelli!! Througout the nineties this was a massive problem. Lasted till Sami arrived.

He generally plays pretty well bar the odd one or two school boy errors that lead to goals or missed chances for the opposition.

Is that good enough?

Yes it is.

Every defender makes mistakes. There are very few goals scored that are purely down to the genius of the goalscorer.

With the exception of the West Ham game the other day, when has he ever caused a goal to be conceded.

And that West Ham mistake happened 50 yards from goal with 3 players and goalkeeper between the ball and goal. He was a major factor in that goal, but wasn't the only one.

Someone (TK I think) mentioned him "needlessly giving away a corner against Villa" as a stick to beat him with. Centrehalf gives away a corner, defense gets organised, there's a goalmouth scramble, and because we've nobody on the post, the ball trickles into the corner. And the player that gave away a corner 30 seconds previously gets the blame for all that? Not a fucking chance.

I think there is a difference between slight errors and outright school boy errors.

For example losing your marker at corners sometimes happens and is more of an acceptable mistake for a defender to make.

Repeatedly skewing passes/clearances/headers straight to the opposition in dangerous areas are not acceptable errors

I think there is a difference between slight errors and outright school boy errors.

For example losing your marker at corners sometimes happens and is more of an acceptable mistake for a defender to make.

Repeatedly skewing passes/clearances/headers straight to the opposition in dangerous areas are not acceptable errors

Spot on. 

• Upvote 1

I agree with you as to what's acceptable and what's not. It's just I've not seen the copious amount of skewing stuff to the opposition that you have.

I'm not trying to be a "prove it" prick, but can you give me some examples? Then we can maybe use that number, the number of successful passes, integrate the number of minutes played, and come up with the Sakho index; to which all centrebacks will be compared against.

That last part did sound prickish, apologies. But I'd still like to see all this skewed stuff people keep harping on about.

I thought he had  really good game tonight, a lot of forward passes to feet, looked very calm in possession. on the whole our best defender tonight.

TK what do you think?

I thought he had a poor game overall.  Whenever we concede a sloppy goal he seems to be involved in some capacity.  Although some of his passing is okay, the times he gives it away are typically in dangerous areas, put us on the back foot and results in chances being created and scored.  I remain unconvinced.