You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fallout 4

Cardie

I usually have more fun with the side quest in Bethesda games. I put in 100s of hours into the last two ES games, absolutely loved them, yet I didn't finish either. By the time I get to the end I'm usually so over-powered that it seems a formality so I drift away. I'll go back and finish them before I get rid of my 360 though.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like I burnt out on this one before it actually came out... by the time I watched some gameplay footage and looked at a few things (the settlement management, the power armour maintenance etc) I just felt it all looked like a bit too much hassle. Reminds me of GTA 4... back then I didn't go for that and was devouring Bethesda games instead, this time I've fucked Bethesda off for The Witcher.

Think if I decide to pick something else up soon, it'll be Mad Max (the car battles just look like fun to me) or Bloodborne.

• 4 weeks later...

Have just finished the main story line and feel pretty underwhelmed by the whole game.

I also think the perk system needs reworking as to have the good perks further down the tree you need to focus on this one particular avenue unless you want to to continue playing after the main story has finished and it's not drawing me in to do that.

The faction side missions weren't great either.

• 1 month later...

Just finished the main quest (went with the railroad in the end). Bit miffed really, as you can conceivably take all four factions to the very brink before deciding which one to go with for the coupe de grace. However, the game doesn’t spell this out, so I’ve missed out on a fair bit of the game and a load of the BoS & Minutemen storylines which needn't have ballsed the rest of the story. Not massively arsed but it could have built up to more of a crescendo than it did.

Building settlements was a huge highlight for me, (got some sick ones built). I don’t think Bethesda expected this to be the success it has, hence the DLC expansion I guess. It’s such a step-up from NV & FO3. But, it’s buggy as hell - again. Lost count of the times I’ve had to consult the wiki to get the game going again after yet another quest glitch.

Anyway, solid 8.2/10 from me.  

What’s next?

• 2 weeks later...

As I've only recently got my PS4 I've only just started this.

I've done the quest where I ended up with the power armour and minigun from the museum so that group are now in Solitary.

Is the general consensus that it's a good idea to start crafting settlement stuff as early as possible? Or is it best to increase stats a bit first?

Also are you lot keeping Dogmeat with you at all times?

I didn't bother with the settlement stuff beyond what was absolutely necessary.

I changed from Dogmeat as soon as possible. Codsworth is much better.

Hardly ever used power armour either.

Loads of ways of playing it though. Just choose whatever is most fun for you.

I also think the perk system needs reworking as to have the good perks further down the tree you need to focus on this one particular avenue unless you want to to continue playing after the main story has finished and it's not drawing me in to do that.

Patch 1.4 has, aside from fixing the various stability issues and laying the ground work for the DLC, improved some of the individual perks but not the tree itself.

Have just finished the main story line and feel pretty underwhelmed by the whole game.

Just finished the main quest (went with the railroad in the end). Bit miffed really, as you can conceivably take all four factions to the very brink before deciding which one to go with for the coupe de grace. However, the game doesn’t spell this out, so I’ve missed out on a fair bit of the game and a load of the BoS & Minutemen storylines which needn't have ballsed the rest of the story. Not massively arsed but it could have built up to more of a crescendo than it did.

The main story is absolutely the weakest part of this game, but it's also the most insignificant (to me at least).

In these type of games I always play the first time through with the main story as the focus (usually in normal or hard mode) just so i can learn the mechanics, test what i can and can't do, get a feel for the game, and generally just get it out of the way.

After that I start again and play the game how I want to play it (usually means survival mode), if that means spending 20 hours game time at the sanctuary and sweeping only the upper corner of the map before venturing further then so be it. It's far more enjoyable when you aren't bound by the need to see what happens next in the story and instead set your own limits and targets (it also makes your issue with the perk tree less of a problem).

Building settlements was a huge highlight for me, (got some sick ones built). I don’t think Bethesda expected this to be the success it has, hence the DLC expansion I guess.

I think they new exactly how successful this would be, next to Half Life 3 it's probably been the most anticipated title in gaming, they've always offered DLC (while it's been a thing).

Fallout 3 DLC was a bit hit and miss, I really enjoyed Broken Steel and Operation Anchorage while I found Mothership Zeta boring.

Never played all of the New Vegas DLC because I wasn't a massive fan of New Vegas (found the contrast between the grey/green destruction of Fallout 3 and the bright open nothingness of large parts of the New Vegas map too jarring even though I racked up hundreds of hours on it....plus Cazadors).

Patch 1.5 looks like the one for anyone who found the game too easy as it completely overhauls survival mode.

• You can only save by sleeping
  • No fast travel
  • You deal more damage but also take more damage
  • Enemy's no longer appear on the HUD unless you tag them with a recon scope
  • New Adrenaline perk that levels up as you kill enemies
  • Exhaustion Hunger and Thirst all affect your S.P.E.C.I.A.L stats so you can't go too long without eating drinking or sleeping. A by product of that is the onset of Fatigue which affects you Action Points.
  • The type of bed you use influences recovers, a real bed will fully heal you but bedding down on a few rags will have minimal effect.
  • Carry limit has been reduced and the cost of being over encumbered scales from fatigue to crippled limbs.
  • Carry weight for companions has been decreased and they will no longer automatically get back up if downed during combat. Instead, they will return home, if abandoned without being healed.
  • Immunodeficiency: Items that cleanse your body of Rads come with the cost of making you tired and temporarily damaging your immunity, leaving you more vulnerable to Illness than usual.
  • Illness & Antibiotics: There are several different Illnesses that can affect you. Your base chance of getting sick increases as your average Wellness decreases. Antibiotics can be crafted, bought or found, and alongside doctors, can heal your current Illnesses. Certain things in the world, such as taking hits by certain creatures or using Chems, may immediately give you an Illness. Also, Stimpaks are no longer the fix-all miracle drug.

• 3 months later...

Finally completed the main quest. Spent around 2 days with it combined. I enjoyed it for the most part but I was annoyed that there was no way, that I could tell, to do away with the factions at the end. I sided with the institute but it wasn't really through choice.

Perhaps it was my fault. I expected there to be an option to say 'Fuck this' towards the end and side with no one or at least betray the Institute. (I guess I could have killed a certain somebody but that wasn't really something I wanted to do. I don't even think I could continue the game without wiping out the Railroad. Kinda annoying really because I spent the game only killing bad people and things up until that point. There doesn't even seem to be much for me to do as head Institute guy now either. Seems like a waste.

One thing I realised is the game is really cool when you try different things. Such as smashing a load of drugs in and running straight into the action with a combat shotgun, or using the powerfirst. You get to see a side to the game you don't really see if you play like me where you play it safe and essentially just played it like a FPS.

I never really bothered with the perks properly either. I kinda just maxed out the 1st level of stars of each stat rather than focusing on a few and going up the levels. I'm really burned out on the game now so doubt I'll re-visit again anytime soon.

• 6 months later...

Only really started putting the hours into this, despite buying it over 12 months ago.

Fuck me, there's a lot to do. Clocked in at 22 hours gametime now and I still have semi basic weapons and level 12.

Thank god I'm out of work currently as no way I'd be able to clock in the hours otherwise.

Codsworth is great. Have Dogmet and Nick Valentine keeping my base safe while he comes around with me.

Huge game, don't think I'll ever complete it at this rate (which was the same for Fallout 3 for me)

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought this a year ago but only properly getting into it now.

Fallout 4 is a bit of a misnomer, it really should be called Fallout 3.5.

The graphics are mediocre, the interface shonky and the whole thing is not very polished at all.

But despite all that, I've put 75 hours into it, and am really quite enjoying myself.

If ever a game could be said to be more than the sum of its parts, then it's this one. Although I'm not at all sure how.

I bought this a year ago but only properly getting into it now.

Fallout 4 is a bit of a misnomer, it really should be called Fallout 3.5.

The graphics are mediocre, the interface shonky and the whole thing is not very polished at all.

But despite all that, I've put 75 hours into it, and am really quite enjoying myself.

If ever a game could be said to be more than the sum of its parts, then it's this one. Although I'm not at all sure how.

I preferred New Vegas to Fallout 4.

It's what Bethesda do best, a woefully out of date game engine, dodgy animation, buggy game play monotonous radiant quests (another settlement needs our help) but addictive games, games you can lose yourself in. for days.

Not sure they get away with doing the same with Fallout 5 (or a new Elder Scrolls game once they're finished flogging Skyrim over and over again), it'll need a massive overhaul given the things we're seeing from the likes of CD Projekt Red and Guerilla Games.