You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fallout 4

Cardie

Can someone give me a basic run down on perks please and how to get them? I know some come with certain objects but, for example, how do I get the perk that allows me to open tougher locks?

You need to increase your perception to 4 first.

Nick Valentine can hack terminals.

For anyone on PC you can add mods to remove the fiddle about with the lock bit and guess the word on terminal bit. You still need to have the perks. You can also reduce the time it takes to leave a terminal. I'm sure they will be on the PS4 and Xbox versions soon enough.

• Upvote 1

Paulo,

Have a look down the perk chart and look at the things that you think will be handy for you given the way you might choose to play the game. Then you need to make sure that you're putting increases into that part of the SPECIAL attributes to make sure you get access to them.

I always go big on intelligence as it increases the experience points you get for doing anything. Charisma too as it's decent for speech challenges.

A tip for the settlements. Put three of those wooden outpost fences together to get 6 defence for the one settler assigned.

• Upvote 1

This game is fucking ridiculously addictive. I woke horribly early today and went on it at about 6am. I started doing the Valentine mission and, realising I'd been on it a while, told myself I'd just finish the next bit. To cut a long story short, I killed the dude who kidnapped Shaun about half an hour ago.

I was desperate for a piss, starving hungry and had sore eyes and a headache! I've fucking regressed into a teenager at the age of 44 because of this fucking game!

Paulo,

Have a look down the perk chart and look at the things that you think will be handy for you given the way you might choose to play the game. Then you need to make sure that you're putting increases into that part of the SPECIAL attributes to make sure you get access to them.

I always go big on intelligence as it increases the experience points you get for doing anything. Charisma too as it's decent for speech challenges.

A tip for the settlements. Put three of those wooden outpost fences together to get 6 defence for the one settler assigned.

Where's the perk chart, Stu?

Go into your Pip-Boy. Then you'll see at the bottom it tells you to press Y to look at the perks. That's where you can see what all the perks are and what level of which SPECIAL attribute you'll need to access it (so the perk that's 8th down in the Agility line will need you to have 8 in that to be able to then choose it).

I'm always a "kill things from miles away" guy. So I focus on the perk that ramps up the damage that non-automatic rifles and snipering gives you. I put very little into endurance and just try not to get pinned down anywhere too tricky and confined.

• Upvote 1

Make sure you scroll down on the perk screen. Loads of people seem to have put all their points into SPECIAL before realising you can put them into perks.

I am also a sneaky shoot them in the head or leg it sort of player. If you want to play this way and become stupidly overpowered use MacCready as your companion until you get his perk.

• Upvote 1

Yeah you can choose to put your level up point into either Special or a perk. You need to have a certain level in specific Special abilities to unlock some perks and some are level restricted.

Some but not all of your companions have a perk that they give to you when you have maximised your relationship with them (sometimes there is a quest as well). You have to do things that they like. Some of them like being nice and helping people and some of them like it when you shoot people and rob stuff. Picking locks and hacking seems fairly popular.

Paul, if you've been travelling with Valentine then you'll have seen little messages pop up such as "Valentine liked that". As your relationship grows you get to points where, if you initiate a conversation with him (or sometimes unprompted), you'll be able to follow a quest for them. Valentine's is finding someone that wronged his ex. You complete that, he loves you and gives you a permanent perk. At that point you fuck him off, grab another companion and try again.

Valentine and McCready definitely both do it as I have their perks. Valentines is a hacking one McCready is a headshot % increase in VATS.

• Upvote 1

I am so struggling with this game.

I am level 9. Every fight is a struggle. I have hardly any ammo. My guns are rubbish. Preston is a shot companion. I am thinking of going back to the dog.

I don't care if sanctuary is raided - I only use it for sleeping.

I am missing something obvious.

Just turned Level 40, and in terms of the main story progession I've just had my first dealings with the Railroad to analyse that 'thing'. Done loads of stuff as leader of the Minutemen, including retake the Castle and set up artillery, and properly joined The Brotherhood Of Steel up on the big blimp and done one mission there, but reckon they're basically the army so they're getting binned off.

Power Armor makes the game way too easy, can upgrade it all to Level E but it's all getting left in Sanctuary and I just carry half-decent Combat Armor. With the weapons, aids and the help of Dogmeat, there really isn't any need for anything else.

Where the fuck has the past week gone?

I am so struggling with this game.

I am level 9. Every fight is a struggle. I have hardly any ammo. My guns are rubbish. Preston is a shot companion. I am thinking of going back to the dog.

I don't care if sanctuary is raided - I only use it for sleeping.

I am missing something obvious.

Are you using VATS in fights mate? I used it exclusively in Fallout 3. But as the first-person shooting is so much better in 4, I find I'm using both. Surprise/ sneak attacks are effective too and conserve ammo. Pick raiders off by sniping one, then  wait until you hear the others ignoring you before picking them off too. 

Also, scavenge like a hobo for ammo and things to trade; look out for cellars/hideouts (black hatches on the ground) these tend to yield good booty.

I'm proper back into this and working my way through the Diamond City quests. I've just concentrated on getting tooled up with some good gear and getting out there. Got some decent Raider armour and limited myself to carrying five decent modified guns for long, mid and short range combat (scoped sniper rifle, hardened pistol, submachine gun, laser rifle and combat shotgun) my aid and grenades. One question though - I take it guns don't deteriorate like they did in fallout 3?  

• Upvote 1

Finished the main storyline last night. Probably missed out on a few side quests with certain factions, but reckon I've done the vast majority of it (done 84 quests in total - mad that there are only 11 main quests, though).

That was a lot of fun, I'll probably go back in a few weeks and try out siding with different factions, see how it turns out.

Anyone else burnt out before finishing up the main quest? I've hit level 60 & have just got the quest where you bump into the institute, but can't really be arsed anymore, just seems a bit meh, Oblivion still tops anything Bethesda have put out since IMO, was the last game of theirs I actually finished.