You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nine figure debt?

Coro

Matt Scott ‏@Matt5cott 2h
I asked Ayre if fans should worry about club's nine-figure debt with stadium project still to be undertaken.

Matt Scott ‏@Matt5cott 2h
Ayre: "Should always worry about debt. You have to make sure you manage it correctly. The business is moving in a positive direction." #LFC

Guest Numero Veinticinco

*pours petrol over body*

*tries to strike match*

*realises they're wet*

*reaches for lighter*

*click, click, click*

*fuck it, out of gas*

Anybody got a light? This is starting to sting my eyes. The thread, not the petrol.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Why so much debt, I thought we where down to about 30ish mill after the purchase? I must have got it wrong?

There's nothing to say there's a nine figure debt, just a question from some guy from talksport. We have been losing money as a business, though. Hence the rise in debt. Fortunately, much of that debt is actually only owed to the owner themselves and is interest free. The bad thing about having debt is 1) you've got to pay it back and 2) the interest hinders your ability to spend, if neither of those things are necessarily true, there's no real issue. 

I don't think we can piss and moan about the debt at the same time as moaning about cutting the wage bill to a sensible level, and paying players what they're worth rather than fantasy sums.

• Upvote 1

As i understood it FSG took on an £80m debt when they bought us and have subsequently injected £30m into the business.

Debt for football clubs is always a game of smoke and mirrors. The point at which ST money is counted, when TV and sponsorship deals are paid, and when staged payments on transfer fees are made and received can all significantly distort the picture both negatively, and positively.

Debt on buying players, bougt wisely, can be a good thing- the team is improved, performs better and may actually improve the value of the squad ( Suarez).Debt driven by the wage bill is high risk if Top four finishes are required to finance it. Stadium debt, so long as it can be serviced is a good thing guaranteeing an improved financial picture for the club.

The important thing about FSG is that the club can manage its debt and FSg can afford to own us.

There's nothing to say there's a nine figure debt, just a question from some guy from talksport.

Oh, I see, you're doing that selective reading thing again like you always do

I took the time before posting this thread (couple of seconds) to find out more about Matt Scott and his Twitter bio reads Ex-Guardian sports columnist, ex-Telegraph sports reporter. Currently an opinion-wielder at talkSPORT, Sky News et al. Media consultant too. Cynical? Sometimes.

A journalist asks the club's MD about the nine figure debt and should fans be worried. No correction from Ayre on the figure of the debt. Might be because he's slow on the uptake or whatever, but at this point of reading I thought maybe I'll ask around a bit to see if anyone knows anything more. In the bizarro pantomime world of yours, your eyes are probably still stinging.

How dare anybody question them

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2