You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Simon Mignolet

You could look at this as we let Gulasci go and we simply needed to get another goalkeeper in. We were linked with Vorm and people weren't happy. So we've gone out and bought a goalkeeper with league and international experience. People aren't happy because he's potentially cost us £9m or because they don't think he's good enough for us?

No I think it's more an internal problem that they take out on the club no matter what they do.

If we sold reina first it would be along the lines of 'oh great now the world knows we are desperate for a keeper and will up their prices, unbelievable, this club, Ian Ayre, etc'.

Also, reina has never been a flapper, he punches and usually gets good distance.

The time is right to get rid though, he's a likeable guy and all that but even his distribution has suffered with his confidence and going through the motions approach since the Benitez era.

Reina will be sold that's clear and every club can see that, so we will be selling for whatever clubs are willing to pay which may not be what hes worth, that's my problem with the situation.

You've made your point Rashid. People understand it, they just don't agree with your logic.

Reina is gone. I'm happy to see the club taking action, instead of the reactionary practices of the past few years. Instead of waiting for players to make up their minds while they work the angles, the club is making their decisions for them.

It's good management.

Reina will go and rightly so, don't enjoy criticising him but genuinely can't believe how many people are so blind to how much his performances have dropped in the last 3 years

Yep. I think the issue or worry for me is that we get the right replacement, not so much actually replacing Reina, who, like you say, has not been the same keeper in the last couple of years or so.

Reina is gone. I'm happy to see the club taking action, instead of the reactionary practices of the past few years. Instead of waiting for players to make up their minds while they work the angles, the club is making their decisions for them.

It's good management.

I agree.

We have seen what panic how much panic buying cost us last time with Carrol.

Reina has regained his form lately and is still a top keeper.

Really? the last couple of months of last season he was a lot better than the previous 2 and a half years but still only did what you'd expect from your goalkeeper as opposed to being exceptional as he was a few years ago, he started making some good saves again but I don't recall many games where he saved our skin or anything

Mignolet on the other hand was the best keeper in the league last season in my opinion and I've been saying that well before we were linked with him

I was hoping we'd have two good keepers for next season, Mingolet providing proper competition for Reina until he moved to Barca in 12 months.

However, now that Barca have signed ter Steegen for next year this won't pan out so I expect Reina to move on this summer, no idea where to though.

I am very optimistic about this deal .. Reina has been real shite for almost 3 years now .. been ok before that (definitely not the best in the league as some are suggesting here .. peter cech and van der sar were way better)

on the other hand I have seen mignolet in a few games now, and he looks very good .. we need a change in that position , and I don't believe he's here to put a rocket in reina's ass. he's here to grab the position and make it his own

Guest San Don
I was hoping we'd have two good keepers for next season, Mingolet providing proper competition for Reina until he moved to Barca in 12 months.

However, now that Barca have signed ter Steegen for next year this won't pan out so I expect Reina to move on this summer, no idea where to though.

Is that right? barcelona have signed Ter Steegen?

Guest San Don
I wouldn't be surprised if Pepe went to Arsenal, that Sczesny is a useless, big-mouthed egotistical cunthook.

Could be a good shout that, Sir Rog. wenger had been sniffing around a season or two ago. Just hope we wrinse them for 20m if he does go there, though.

Reina is a very good keeper. He kept 17 clean sheets in 39 games last season in a team playing rather more expansive football and a style that left us defensively exposed on a number of occasions. If he wants to return to Spain, then fine let him go, but all this shit about him being past his best is ridiculous. Yes he had a dip in form for a while (as do all players in their careers), but he definitely improved last season and probably has another ten years in him. Most keepers peak in their early 30s so arguably we might be replacing someone who is about to produce their best form.

As for Mignolet, he's obviously a good and improving young keeper, but he has a way to go in my opinion to match Pepe Reina.

Reina is a very good keeper. He kept 17 clean sheets in 39 games last season in a team playing rather more expansive football and a style that left us defensively exposed on a number of occasions. If he wants to return to Spain, then fine let him go, but all this shit about him being past his best is ridiculous. Yes he had a dip in form for a while (as do all players in their careers), but he definitely improved last season and probably has another ten years in him. Most keepers peak in their early 30s so arguably we might be replacing someone who is about to produce their best form.

As for Mignolet, he's obviously a good and improving young keeper, but he has a way to go in my opinion to match Pepe Reina.

sorry but theres so much wrong with this post in my opinion.

He kept 17 clean sheets in 39 games last season in a team playing rather more expansive football and a style that left us defensively exposed on a number of occasions.

Don't know about all competitions but Mignolet kept only 3 less league clean sheets than Reina in a far worse team, as well as this I imagine with the amount of games where teams would seem to only have a couple of major chances a game and still beat us would also be pretty damning towards Reina.

shit about him being past his best is ridiculous. Yes he had a dip in form for a while (as do all players in their careers), but he definitely improved last season and probably has another ten years in him.

Why is it ridiculous? the fact that he hasn't been remotely near his best form for 3 years says to me its not unreasonable to believe he won't ever get back to that level and if he does it is because a move has revitalised him as it certainly doesn't look like happening with us and to say he definately improved last year is just a sign of how the expectations have dropped, he was woeful up to probably around mid february and after that he was okay and sometimes good but to no extent the keeper that he used to be.

Most keepers peak in their early 30s so arguably we might be replacing someone who is about to produce their best form.

and by keeping him we might be risking being detrimental to the team by sticking with someone who peaked between 2005 and 2010, nonsense that we should judge him based on the merit of when others have peaked.

As for Mignolet, he's obviously a good and improving young keeper, but he has a way to go in my opinion to match Pepe Reina

Mignolet isn't of the level of Pepe in 2005-10 yet imo and quite likely never will be but thats no insult as back then Pepe was only second to Casillas for me but based on the form of recent years Mignolet is far better than Pepe at the moment and was the best keeper in the league last season for my money

I think it's good for us if he signs:-

If Pepe stays, then it means we are getting competition for the gk - which is something we haven't had since Ged went mad and signed every goalie on the same day.

Or, it means Pepe is off, and we are actually being proactive and doing something about it before transfer deadline day.

Pepe was a great goalie. His form in the second half of the season showed he is still a top goalie.

However, mignolet is a class goalie. I actually think he was the best goalie in the premiership last season.

All in all, I've been very happy with our work in the transfer window so far.

A smart move by the Club.

If Pepe goes,and I think he will, we are not over a barrel.Understandably, Pepe's motivational arc is on the wane.Simon's will be sky high.

Reina's ability has never been in question. Credit to king Brenny for looking to the future.

It's a shame how it panned out cos I loved Reina - he stood up for Liverpool and was one of the few players who'd shout and scream. But he's been making doe eyes at Barcelona for a couple of years now.

I wouldn't have minded holding onto him, but to be honest I was a bit fed up us dominating teams then have them take one shot and it going in, for the past two seasons, to the point it became totally predictable.