You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Carra joins Sky

Red Banjo

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Carra just said he hasn't been offered a coaching job

A couple of years ago he was doing his badges and was a coach at the academy. He said he didn't really enjoy it, that he didn't have the patience to the job as well as he would want.

So TBH it'd no real surprise to me. He may not have been offered a job, but I bet he didn't ask either.

A couple of years ago he was doing his badges and was a coach at the academy. He said he didn't really enjoy it, that he didn't have the patience to the job as well as he would want.

So TBH it'd no real surprise to me. He may not have been offered a job, but I bet he didn't ask either.

Didn't he say he'd like to be a manager, though? Or am I thinking of before he started doing his badges?

As with Neville, Carra's appearances as a pundit will drag the level of discussion and analysis up. I was hoping he was replacing Redknapp or Souness, who both talk absolute bollocks and have little to offer in the way of critical or constructive analysis.

Yep. Neville is an example of how you can be unashamedly partisan yet still offer reasonably constructive punditry. The standard MO is to follow the crowd in times of outrage and, more generally, water everything else down to such an extent that every single thing you posit is useless and shrivelled.

Guest San Don

Jamie knows how fickle club owners can be. Wouldnt surprise me in the slightest if he decided against a coaching \ managerial career after the way the current owners dealt with the King.

If a man with such status as he can be cast aside for a 'vision,' what chance mere mortals?

Once he announced his retirement plans, I assumed something like this had been sorted in the background.

Disappointed that he hasn't stayed in the game, but I suppose it is a lot less volatile a profession.

Good luck to him.

Agree with the previous poster about how much Mogadon of the Day needs shaking up.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems a shame that in the week that Carragher hangs up is boots that the forum is still being dominated by the Rafa/Chelsea obsession. Unbelievable.

Hard to imagine Carra not pulling on the shirt next season, vaguely remember his debut in the League Cup match vs Middlesborough been on in the boozer back in the day - amazing to think it was 16 years ago.

A true legend, always a sad day when the players you watched starting out hang up there boots.

Are the plans to retire the '23' shirt?

Guest Numero Veinticinco

If he's as good as Gary Neville, Sky Sports might actually be worth watching. Neville, the cunt, is a really decent pundit.

Yeah, Neville is an excellent talking head.

It will be fascinating to see if Jamie's accent softens over the years as a TV pundit. Having said that, he's been exposed to, and been in dialogue with, accents from all over the globe for the past 20 years, and they haven't scratched the surface!

Agreed about Neville. hate him but he is the best pundit by far.

Carra will be of a similar ilk, he has the experience and he isn't afraid to piss people off.

I'm looking forward to hearing his views on our set piece defending next season.

I think Carragher's recent interview mentions how he's giving the TV punditry a go for a couple of years and will see how it goes, whether he enjoys it or not. Which I'm guessing will determine whether he goes back into football properly and does coaching/managing as he was responding to a question about going into management when he said it.

Carragher says: “What would I ask Ferguson? How long have you got, have you got all day? I’ll tell you what I’d say to him though – he never knocked *Liverpool off their perch, that’s nonsense that.

It was Graeme Souness who did that, it really was. United were competing with Norwich and Aston Villa for their first title – they weren’t competing with Liverpool, were they!”

Looking forward to Jamie handing Sourness his arse the bitter cunt.

I think since they got 19 titles, knocking us off our perch has been hijacked and taken on a new meaning even though originally Ferguson meant it as meaning stopping us from winning the league, which you're right it wasnt down to him