You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

"Luis Suarez - intentionally diabolical"

dave u

Can't blame Rodgers for any of this. Suarez is either stupid or incredibly naive. Things were just starting to turn in his favour, the press and pundits were just starting to appreciate his football rather picking up on every little thing he does. Then he opens his mouth.

I've no doubt that by 'dealing with things internally' all Rodgers has done is tell him to wise up a bit. From the clubs point of view it's all over, the press will have a field day though.

It is only a problem because he is saying what a lot of footbal fans feel and his name is Luis Suarez.

But it's ok for the likes of Fergie to come out and slag him off but when Luis has a go back, "Oh no shut your cakehole Luis. You can't say anything back, just take it up the shitter like the rest of us"

Fair fucks to him I say.

I dont think Rodgers needed to come out publicly and say anything. Let the story die naturally, it's a foreign source and most people think such sources are all misquoted anyway, so it would have gone away really quickly.

Rodgers has now initiated a feeding frenzy for the media in what is a quiet transfer window.

He should have had a word with Suarez quietly, not like this. I'm appalled, and so's my wife.

Was he asked about it and maybe thats why he had to comment? If he did I think he may have felt he had no choice to say what he did and kill it quickly. Especially as Luis actually owned up to the dive in question. Would be a different thing if he hadn't. Anyway all he'll probably do is have a word in his ear

Brendan Rodgers: Liverpool FC will discipline Luis Suarez over 'unacceptable' comments on diving

David PrenticeJan 17 2013Add a comment

inShare

2Share on emailShare on print

LFC's Luis Suarez gets tackled against Stoke City

LUIS SUAREZ will be disciplined by Liverpool FC for admitting he dived during the Premier League match against Stoke in October.

Suarez, who was called "an embarrassment" by Stoke's Tony Pulis after the match, told Argentinian media on Wednesday that "falling" deliberately is part of the game.

He said: "Football is like that. Sometimes you do things on the field that later you think, 'Why the hell did I do that?'

"I was accused of falling inside the box in a match and it's true I did it that time, because we were drawing against Stoke at home and we needed anything to win it. But after that everybody jumped out to talk – the Stoke coach and the Everton coach … I understood that the name Suárez sells papers."

In pictures: Luis Suarez's Liverpool FC career so far

Dec 20 2011

View

At today's Melwood press conference to preview Saturday's match with Norwich, Reds boss Brendan Rodgers said that Suarez had expressed "unacceptable" views, and the situation would be "dealt with internally."

He added: "Diving is not something we advocate. Our ethics are correct."

Read more: Liverpool Echo http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2013/01/17/brendan-rodgers-liverpool-fc-will-discipline-luis-suarez-over-unacceptable-comments-on-diving-100252-32624291/#.UPgUsnHLaac.twitter#ixzz2IFKiMjuD

Brendan Rodgers: Liverpool FC will discipline Luis Suarez over 'unacceptable' comments on diving - Liverpool FC News - Liverpool FC - Liverpool Echo

Didn't Drogba admit diving?

BBC SPORT | Football | My Club | Chelsea | Drogba backtracks on diving claim

Now this is funny

Chelsea striker Didier Drogba has withdrawn an admission that he sometimes tries to con referees.

Drogba, speaking to the BBC's Match of the Day after the Blues' 2-0 defeat of Manchester City, initially said: "Sometimes I dive, sometimes I stand."

But he then quickly retracted that statement, saying: "No, I don't dive."

And he has subsequently told his club's website that his comments "came across partly in the wrong way - I want to make clear that I don't dive."

Drogba had been asked about conning referees following Alan Shearer's accusations that Shaun Wright-Phillips dived in Newcastle's FA Cup defeat to Chelsea last week to get Robbie Elliott sent off.

Yes, it was handball, but that's part of the game

Didier Drogba

He got both goals in the champions' win on Saturday, though he did admit to handling the ball in the course of scoring the second.

He said: "Yes, it was handball, but that's part of the game.

"If City had done it, no-one would have mentioned it. But everyone is out to make a big mess about Chelsea."

Big fuss over nothing - he admits it, Rodgers deals with it 'internally' and there is nowhere for the story to go.

wtf

Listening to the 3pm news on BBC Radio Four and it carried brief reports on the highest profile stories of the day, Agerian hostages, UK membership of EU etc and then finishes with "Brendon Rodgers manager of Liverpool Football Club today criticised Luis Suarez....".

How does this qualify for inclusion in a Radio Four news bulletin? This really does emphasise one of two things, either LFC and anything connected to it is really big news, or, there is a determined effort on the part of some media outlets to discredit and undermine Suarez to the point where he leaves the country.

I don't disagree with BR stance or handling on this one. He was left with little choice other than to say nothing at all.

Guest San Don
I dont think you understand how witch hunts work.

Suarez could adopt 80 orphans, use his wage packet to feed africa and cure cancer and would still be castigated by the british media.

The point is, you dont go giving witchfinder generals ammo to use against you which these comments clear were.

And yes, I know how witchhunts work, thanks.

I dont think Rodgers needed to come out publicly and say anything. Let the story die naturally, it's a foreign source and most people think such sources are all misquoted anyway, so it would have gone away really quickly.

Rodgers has now initiated a feeding frenzy for the media in what is a quiet transfer window.

Nah, not having that mate. It's Suarez; it'll never just die away on it's own in the media.

We've seen that already today when they said Big Sam 'joined' Suarez in attacking United in a completely separate, non-related story. But they lump Suarez into the headline and bring him into it, because, well, it's Suarez.

Rodgers has nipped it now, and it's dealt with. They'd have been constantly pestering him about it.

Rodgers comments are as equally ill judged as Luis admitting diving in the first place. Being overly honest and open on every question asked by the media is a big problem for the manager.

I don't understand how they are ill judged though.

He has given the press the answer they wanted, Suarez to be dealt with, everybody is happy. I don't even think anything will happen to Suarez via the club.

Let's move on there is nothing to see here.

"Diving is not something we advocate. Our ethics are correct."

Then why didnt you come out after the game and call Suarez on diving after the Stoke game Brendan? We could all see it was a dive, and so could you. But you only have ethics when someone else has noticed it? Is that how ethics work? If a tree falls in a forest and nobody is around to hear it... and all that. Cringey bollocks.

Brendan, just you fucking remember where this team of yours would be without Suarez. I'll tell you where, about 18th in the league or worse. Talk to Suarez about fucking ethics...fuck off...you want to talk to Downing about the ethics of stealing fucking money off the club. Suarez is the hardest working, fair, and talented player we have and you want to knock him because he took a dive against those Stoke cunts who battered him, as per usual?

Of course he dived against Stoke, good. Cheating WWF bastards who we get nothing from. Is it more fucking commendable for Suarez to add lying to his diving? Would it be better for him to be like Bale, and insist he never dives when we can all see he does?

Hope he's still here come February.

We will never know but the only way this could possibly be beneficial for the club is if Rodgers has sat down with Suarez before the press conference and said "Look we are going to take some shit over the comments you made about diving. I honestly don't give a shit what you do as long as it's not detrimental to the team. To get the media off your back and any potential shit from the FA I will come out and say it's not acceptable and you will be dealt with internally when in actual fact we won't do anything. You stick to what you do best scoring goals and winding every other cunt in the country up in the process."

Otherwise it's just going to alienate Suarez and give him the impression the club isn't fully behind him.

The alternative to "being dealt with internally" would have been spun as "Rodgers condones cheating", resulting in us getting even less from refs. At least this way when we next get a stonewaller Friend, or Atkinson, or Probert or whatever incompetent we have in charge might just think to themselves "hang on, these lads are told not to dive, pen". Hopefully. At the very least we might get a fair crack of the whip now instead of waiting another 6 months for our next one because we have the intentionally diabolical one in our ranks.

For what it's worth, I thought Brendan looked very uncomfortable during that part of the press conference. I doubt he wanted to say that, but as some people have already pointed out, there wasn't much choice. In my opinion anyway.

Nah, not having that mate. It's Suarez; it'll never just die away on it's own in the media.

We've seen that already today when they said Big Sam 'joined' Suarez in attacking United in a completely separate, non-related story. But they lump Suarez into the headline and bring him into it, because, well, it's Suarez.

Rodgers has nipped it now, and it's dealt with. They'd have been constantly pestering him about it.

is absolutely correct.