You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Why have FSG not yet appointed key staff?

Nathanzx

The reality is these guys need to invest in the team and get them competing in Champions League if they are to maintain the value of their asset

Another season like last and the brand will be in tatters globally

They surely must realise that

My guess is once we have offloaded some of the higher earners we will be spending more money

Easier said than done.

It is getting harder and harder for teams to get into the Champions League every season now.

You have both Manchester clubs and the Chavs basically taking up three places.

Then you have the rest chasing one place.

Although the Chavs squad is now pretty old and Dogbreath has gone and I have a gut feeling that United are starting on a down slide in the League.

Both them clubs and us really need to buy the right players for the coming season.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think the primary motivation for FSG is profit from the value of LFC, although clearly they are not looking to lose the amounts that those who have 'invested' in Chelsea and City seem comfortable with.

I may be wrong, but I think that the underlying appeal for FSG is the idea of winning through a different strategy to just spending a lot of cash. What I think they are after is the kudos that would come from pulling this off.

In global terms, the successes they had with baseball are relatively small fry. These are men that want to be admired for their ability to buck the system, to figure out a way of achieving success that goes against the accepted ways of how this can be achieved.

I'm not convinced that they really know how to do this with a football team, but it they manage to do it in a league that has the largest global audience then then one assumes that the benefits that come from this will be manifold.

You cant do it in football though, baseball is a totally different beast

you spend big in football, you win

I don't disagree - all the evidence suggests that this is true.

But I do suspect that this is their main motivation for investing in LFC. They want to prove a point, i.e. that smart people can buck the system, even when that system is one that they know little about at the outset.

I don't think the primary motivation for FSG is profit from the value of LFC, although clearly they are not looking to lose the amounts that those who have 'invested' in Chelsea and City seem comfortable with.

I may be wrong, but I think that the underlying appeal for FSG is the idea of winning through a different strategy to just spending a lot of cash. What I think they are after is the kudos that would come from pulling this off.

In global terms, the successes they had with baseball are relatively small fry. These are men that want to be admired for their ability to buck the system, to figure out a way of achieving success that goes against the accepted ways of how this can be achieved.

I'm not convinced that they really know how to do this with a football team, but it they manage to do it in a league that has the largest global audience then then one assumes that the benefits that come from this will be manifold.

You might be right as they got burned by Kennys buys - both in terms of the quality and the huge fee overpayment

the reality is that big money on its own is useless without the right manager

The major concern I have is the appointment of Rodgers whom they could not possibly trust to spend big at this stage

It will take them time they need a top class manager who knows how to spot a top class player and then give him the money to invest - maybe they will allow Rodgers dip his toe in the 'spend-big' water and see how he does before investing further

But the doubt reamins about their intentions given they ignored Rafa completely - a readymade proven solution for a club willing to put money where your mouth is

You might be right as they got burned by Kennys buys - both in terms of the quality and the huge fee overpayment

the reality is that big money on its own is useless without the right manager

The major concern I have is the appointment of Rodgers whom they could not possibly trust to spend big at this stage

It will take them time they need a top class manager who knows how to spot a top class player and then give him the money to invest - maybe they will allow Rodgers dip his toe in the 'spend-big' water and see how he does before investing further

But the doubt reamins about their intentions given they ignored Rafa completely - a readymade proven solution for a club willing to put money where your mouth is

Two things that seem pretty much certain about FSG; first, they are smart people; secondly, when they took us on, they had near zero experience of football.

The anxieties I have about the second point aren't quite balanced out by the first.

As for Benitez, he was somebody else's guy (sorry, couldn't help but namecheck the Gwen Guthrie classic there). Rodgers is their man.

I think that you are way off the mark.

Of the FSG 20, I understand that after eighteen months, only Werner and Henry have even seen us play. The majority are not only not interested in LFC, they are not interested in football, it is (relatively) a very modest investment.

Profit is the only motive. Americans do not invest to lose money. A foothold in the lucrative European football market which DiBenedetto will have told them all about was no doubt an attraction, but it is a minor stake, no more than that.

Many of the Boston boys could have bought us themselves, but chose not to. FSG is an investment club.

The windfall in the new shirt deal, PL deal and Sky rights,(with no money out) more than justifies the investment, and that is just swell.

Of the FSG 20, I understand that after eighteen months, only Werner and Henry have even seen us play. The majority are not only not interested in LFC, they are not interested in football, it is (relatively) a very modest investment.

Profit is the only motive. Americans do not invest to lose money. A foothold in the lucrative European football market which DiBenedetto will have told them all about was no doubt an attraction, but it is a minor stake, no more than that.

Many of the Boston boys could have bought us themselves, but chose not to. FSG is an investment club.

The windfall in the new shirt deal, PL deal and Sky rights,(with no money out) more than justifies the investment, and that is just swell.

Whilst I agree with most of your post, the bit in bold isn't really fair. Pretty sure most of them have been over, there's one fella who's name escapes me that's here more than Werner and Henry. It's just that Henry and Werner are the two faces we all know.

Can't really disagree with the rest of it though.

I think you're a good poster on here mate but I have to disagree with the misguided notion you have about no other members of FSG coming over for games. I have seen pictures of David Ginsberg and Jeffrey Vink and my season ticket I use for most games is right near the directors box in the Paddock and I have definitely seen Ginsberg at the odd game and I'm pretty certain Vink too.

Henry and to a lesser extent Werner as Principal Owner and Chairman respectively are seen as the face of FSG with the other people mentioned "just" being part of the board.

This is a million miles away from the H&G no shows at games and a million miles away from the lack of dialogue via email or conference calls in Rafa's days here.

What FSG need to do is have their own man permanently stationed over here as even H&G had the right idea with that originally when Foster Gillett was working from Melwood in their early days here before the shit hit the fan.

This thread makes me think well never be successful again. Pretty depressing. Must be fucking electric to be a city fan at the minute though, your team been shite forever, your local rivals winning everything in site and then boom lottery win and everything's fucking special.

The thing about sport is success should be earnt through hard graft and practice and with team sports through individuals with vision. What's football now it's the Forbes rich list in entertainment form. I love LFC but the way the sports going I'm not sure I could stomach it for the rest of my life.

Whilst I agree with most of your post, the bit in bold isn't really fair. Pretty sure most of them have been over, there's one fella who's name escapes me that's here more than Werner and Henry. It's just that Henry and Werner are the two faces we all know.

Can't really disagree with the rest of it though.

I was told the above by a club official who is normally pretty reliable.I accept that it is hearsay and I could be wrong.

If you know of others, I am happy to accept your word for it.

I think you're a good poster on here mate but I have to disagree with the misguided notion you have about no other members of FSG coming over for games. I have seen pictures of David Ginsberg and Jeffrey Vink and my season ticket I use for most games is right near the directors box in the Paddock and I have definitely seen Ginsberg at the odd game and I'm pretty certain Vink too.

Henry and to a lesser extent Werner as Principal Owner and Chairman respectively are seen as the face of FSG with the other people mentioned "just" being part of the board.

This is a million miles away from the H&G no shows at games and a million miles away from the lack of dialogue via email or conference calls in Rafa's days here.

What FSG need to do is have their own man permanently stationed over here as even H&G had the right idea with that originally when Foster Gillett was working from Melwood in their early days here before the shit hit the fan.

As above, I apologise, and withdraw.

This thread makes me think well never be successful again. Pretty depressing. Must be fucking electric to be a city fan at the minute though, your team been shite forever, your local rivals winning everything in site and then boom lottery win and everything's fucking special.

The thing about sport is success should be earnt through hard graft and practice and with team sports through individuals with vision. What's football now it's the Forbes rich list in entertainment form. I love LFC but the way the sports going I'm not sure I could stomach it for the rest of my life.

Modern football is woeful.

I certainly agree on their not investing to lose money, and on the current amounts they are putting into to the club, they are very unlikely to do so.

If it were just about making money, however, then one imagines that there are better/easier ways of doing this than investing in LFC. These are relatively small amounts being put at risk, with substantial potential returns if it comes off.

We are an experiment for some smart US sports fans who have convinced others to finance their ruse at relatively low risk.

I certainly agree on their not investing to lose money, and on the current amounts they are putting into to the club, they are very unlikely to do so.

If it were just about making money, however, then one imagines that there are better/easier ways of doing this than investing in LFC. These are relatively small amounts being put at risk, with substantial potential returns if it comes off.

We are an experiment for some smart US sports fans who have convinced others to finance their ruse at relatively low risk.

That's nice to know.

£30m/£220m down is 14% per annum.

14% is 14% - handsome.

We agree that football can be a poor investment, but need not be.Ask Mandaric, the Golds/Sullivan and Jack Petchey. The trick is capital and windfall growth,with minimal capital net investment, which FSG are seeing (they have not had to spend a penny on the club shirt and PL TV deals). Nice.

I don't think that 14% is quite right. I think you have missed out the £30m loan the owners have made (they paid £220m cash to buy didn't they?).

Also, and more importantly, whilst that £30m extra from the TV deal should in theory go striaght to the bottom line as there are no increase in costs to go with it, in reality there will be massive wage inflation for the players as its an increase that all the clubs are getting (well, somewhere between £20-40m for each club all things being equal), and they will spend it to be/stay competitive. So you will not only have to pay more money to beat the competition to buy players, you will have to offer higher wages to get those players in, and higher wages to keep the players you want as well. Within 2 years, there will not be much of that £30m left, if any, to add to the profit line.

Also, the new Barclays deal you mention is small fry really (although of course every little helps), its gone up from £27.5m per season to £40m I think, so £12.5m extra split between the 20 clubs, and thats if it all goes to the clubs.

Really, I don't think you should be looking at any increased revenues in terms of an annual return on their funds invested, as any increased profits I think will be reinvested into the club, over the medium term anyway. I don't think they will be taking dividends out for a while, if at all. Football is not a 'profit making' industry, you only have to look around to see that. Their profit will come from capital appreciation when they sell their stake, and that's why their best bet is grow the brand and to be in it for the long haul and to make us a successful team (which I agree for them does not necessarily mean that we need to win things).