You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob was a star. On the field his only peer for the senior treble is whiskeynose in the history of the English game, off the field he was a genius at managing the press, feeding them enough to give them what they wanted, and having sufficient credit in the bank for unhelpful stories to be spiked.

i met him once, it was around 1978, club in Birkenhead called Hamiltons, was a charity night and Bob was there, queued up and got his autograph and shook his hand. times like that you wish mobile phones where around then, would have been a picture to remember, what a great man he was

I met him in 1993 (aged 12) after a home win over Oldham (1-nil, rushie belter with his left foot from 20 yards on the hour).

My uncle knew Sir John Smith through work and got me and my old man tickets in the new centenary stand, followed by access to the players entrance and trophy room after.

We rushed straight round after the game to see sights of Rush and my hero John Barnes.

While waiting for them to file through, I spotted Sir Bob walking down the staircase with his nurse. I ran to him holding out my brand new as yet unblemished autograph book and Parker pen. He smiled and began writing his name, shakily, looking to his nurse after the first couple of letters had been spelled out, and she helped him with the rest. He smiled as he passed me back my book and the nurse asked the other boys that followed me to back away, and explained he wasn't well enough for any more autographs.

Privileged but a bit guilty feeling too.

Clearly a shadow of himself, but a giant to me that day.

To put his record under the spotlight and him still being the only manager in history to win 3 European cups/champions league still to this day.

Shows how great he was.

True enough. He never took 27 fucking years to get close either. Always thought it a shame that he never stayed on another season as he would have had a 4th. Joe won it with the same side.

A great great manager.

True enough. He never took 27 fucking years to get close either. Always thought it a shame that he never stayed on another season as he would have had a 4th. Joe won it with the same side.

A great great manager.

I think for me that 77 we had won the league so was made up, then losing to United and gobshite Pearson in the FA cup final and feeling so sad for only 4 days later to win the European cup and in the style we won it and seeing all the fans at Rome will stay with me till the day I die.

As much as Istanbul sent me on a roller coaster of a ride and was incredible, for me nothing tops 77 plus I was only a kid then,This is my best memory of being a fan.

I think for me that 77 we had won the league so was made up, then losing to United and gobshite Pearson in the FA cup final and feeling so sad for only 4 days later to win the European cup and in the style we won it and seeing all the fans at Rome will stay with me till the day I die.

As much as Istanbul sent me on a roller coaster of a ride and was incredible, for me nothing tops 77 plus I was only a kid then,This is my best memory of being a fan.

Great times. I never got to Rome. Skint as I was at the time. The Etienne home game is still my favourite ever game. Crammed into the Annie road end, practically stood side by side with the noisy french.

We always had the old school talking about the Milan game and we wanted our own. That night had it all with 58,000 locked in. 3 days later 58,000 in again to watch us beat Boro. Our finest season for me.

I became one of the old school doing me lads head in until the Olympiakos/Chelsea games came along and he had his night to remember.

How fucking blessed are we.

Got carried away there. Just short of 56,000 both games. Must be getting old in me old age.

Great times. I never got to Rome. Skint as I was at the time. The Etienne home game is still my favourite ever game. Crammed into the Annie road end, practically stood side by side with the noisy french.

We always had the old school talking about the Milan game and we wanted our own. That night had it all with 58,000 locked in. 3 days later 58,000 in again to watch us beat Boro. Our finest season for me.

I became one of the old school doing me lads head in until the Olympiakos/Chelsea games came along and he had his night to remember.

Got carried away there. Just short of 56,000 both games. Must be getting old in me old age.

Great times mate and then when we got Rush and to this day I have never seen a set of supporters in my life show as much fear about a player as Everton fans did with him . Genuine fear everytime he had the ball around there box.

There whole ground would just go stone dead quiet.Fuck me he totally terrorised every team but against them it was on another level totally.

Great times. I never got to Rome. Skint as I was at the time. The Etienne home game is still my favourite ever game. Crammed into the Annie road end' date=' practically stood side by side with the noisy french.

Got carried away there. Just short of 56,000 both games. Must be getting old in me old age.[/quote']

Great posts. 1977 was the best year in Liverpools history. I remember the queues outside the Kop at 5pm on the evening of the st etienne game - I went to that game with my school uniform on. And then Rome. Never equalled, that tumultuous end to the season.

Manager for only 9 seasons, 13 major trophies won. No manager in England has matched that record over any 9 seasons.

None.

The only manager in history to be champion of Europe 3 times. Undisputedly the greatest.

Those 3 European Cups came in 5 attempts. That will never ever be bettered.

Guardiola can equal it though if he wins it next year

Fair enough if he does. Will anyone win it 3 times with their lifetime club?

I understand it's a different time from then but nevertheless we 'dominated' Europe. We won our league and then we won the European cup, time after time.

5 pages so far for the most successful manager we ever had and any thread that has Rafa in the title usually goes into triple figure pages!

Threads with divided opinion will always have more pages than threads where everyone agrees.

When you see some of the vile individuals that do get knighted like Bettison, Wright, Ingham or Lords like Archer then I'm made up Bob never did.

It's a shitty backslapping one for the boys establishment award, and means nothing to men of the stature and honesty like Shankly and Paisley.

Exactly, it's nothing. I imagine Bob would have struggled to accept any honour due to his working class background. I really don't understand why anyone in the North (especially) would be honoured by a knighthood from those parasitic wankers in the South.