You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bearable Conservatives.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Problem with that is he might end up stoning someone for wearing wool and cotton.

Most Christians I know - actually, most religious people I know - have a "pick & mix" attitude, but they pick the good bits and leave out the stonings and making women go outside the city walls at their time of uncleanliness and all that.  Basically, the bits that you choose to follow reflect the kind of person you are; which brings us back to the fact that Rees-Mogg espouses cunty views, not because he's a Catholic, but because he's a cunt.

• Upvote 2

Evolve Politics launched an undercover investigation into Activate, and as you'd expect it was a farce. An amusing farce, but a farce.

Part 1.

http://evolvepolitics.com/exclusive-evolve-politics-undercover-inside-tory-youth-group-activate-beginning-part-1/

Part 2.

http://evolvepolitics.com/part-2-evolve-politics-undercover-inside-activate-unadulterated-incompetence-day-one/

Part 3 to come.

• Upvote 1

Most Christians I know - actually, most religious people I know - have a "pick & mix" attitude, but they pick the good bits and leave out the stonings and making women go outside the city walls at their time of uncleanliness and all that. Basically, the bits that you choose to follow reflect the kind of person you are; which brings us back to the fact that Rees-Mogg espouses cunty views, not because he's a Catholic, but because he's a cunt.

Thank fuck for that. Otherwise following the books creates issues. Although I'd absolutely love to cross reference this to the 'he's not a true xxxxx' whenever a religious nutjob kills someone because of the book. You know the stuff, "he was pissed so can't be religious. "

Most Christians I know - actually, most religious people I know - have a "pick & mix" attitude, but they pick the good bits and leave out the stonings and making women go outside the city walls at their time of uncleanliness and all that.  Basically, the bits that you choose to follow reflect the kind of person you are; which brings us back to the fact that Rees-Mogg espouses cunty views, not because he's a Catholic, but because he's a cunt.

Most Christians follow the teachings of Jesus.

Jesus didn't stone anyone.

Jesus hung around with the outcasts of society and was a person of humility and empathy.

But again, people like to pick out passages in the Bible either written before he was born (ie the Jewish bits as Christianity kind of hadn't been invented) or written by various people who had strong opinions on stuff.

Jesus didn't put the Bible together

The Bible is an anthology of dozens of books written by various people.

This Mogg bloke has so little in common with Jesus, it's ridiculous.

His outlook is not shaped by Jesus, it is shaped by his right wing ideology.

Good article in Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/sep/10/pope-jacob-rees-mogg-no-catholic-bruv-anti-abortion

• Upvote 1

Thank fuck for that. Otherwise following the books creates issues. Although I'd absolutely love to cross reference this to the 'he's not a true xxxxx' whenever a religious nutjob kills someone because of the book. You know the stuff, "he was pissed so can't be religious. "

I've only ever said people were not true Muslims when there is evidence of them not following ANY of the tenets of Islam.

But again, people like to pick out passages in the Bible either written before he was born (ie the Jewish bits as Christianity kind of hadn't been invented) or written by various people who had strong opinions on stuff.

And then there are people who like to pretend that the Old Testament is irrelevant to Christianity, when the truth is that the entire basis of Christianity relies upon the Old Testament. Because not only did Jesus wholeheartedly believe in the tenets of the Old Testamet, but his status as the Messiah depends upon him being the fulfillment of Old Testament prophesy. Without the Old Testament, Jesus is nothing.

And then there are people who like to pretend that the Old Testament is irrelevant to Christianity, when the truth is that the entire basis of Christianity relies upon the Old Testament. Because not only did Jesus wholeheartedly believe in the tenets of the Old Testamet, but his status as the Messiah depends upon him being the fulfillment of Old Testament prophesy. Without the Old Testament, Jesus is nothing.

Matthew 5:17

Further on Mogg's cherry-picking of Catholic teachings, I've been reminded today that Pope Pius IX's 1864 encyclical Quanta cura condemns the proposition that "the will of the public is supreme and overrides any other law, human or divine".

Hopefully someone points this out to him the next time he's banging on about Brexit being the will of the people.

Without the Old Testament, Jesus is nothing.

Righto.

No one wrote about Jesus until about 40 years after his death. Even if he existed he wasn't what he said he was.

My understanding is that three of the Gospels were written by the people who knew him.

As for "existed", again my understanding was not the question of whether he existed, but the question of whether he was the son of God.  A man called Jesus of Nazareth caused a huge stir in the Roman Empire by performing [miracles/magic tricks], gaining a huge following and then [rising from the dead/having his body stolen], and the evidence of that is substantial.

The Old Testament is important to Jesus historically of course. But not quintessential in retrospect I think.

And of course Judaism doesn't recognise Jesus as the "Messiah" the Old Testament foretells of... but now rather, as merely another prophet.

Jesus - in offering compassion and equality (and salvation, whatever that is) to people beyond the strict tribal, secular and religious tenets and exclusiveness of Judaism - makes the Old Testament less strictly pivotal and relevant to Christianity. 

Jesus' teaching and acts, as documented, don't on the whole seem to have been that "wholeheartedly" beholden to the Old Testament. In my opinion.

Whatever that's got to do with Mogg....

• Upvote 1

Yes, I'd say the small "c" word explains his motivation more than the big "C" one.