You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bearable Conservatives.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Tony Benn was a Christian. Tony Benn was a strong advocate for Gay Rights.

While I think it's great that Tony B was able to ignore some of the bits of the Bible that he found unpalatable, it didn't seem to dampen his support for anti-gay regimes like Cuba or Mao's China.

Gay rights has to up there with immigration & the Royal Family for the disproportionate amount of airtime it gets in this country.

Really?

Despite the fact that gay people still get murdered because they are gay! Beaten up because they are gay. Refused hotels because they are gay. Refused basic human rights because they are gay.

That is why it is still news. And i've yet to see an attack on gays get anywhere near the same focus as the little parasite did today because he went to fucking school.

• Upvote 1

Really?

Despite the fact that gay people still get murdered because they are gay! Beaten up because they are gay. Refused hotels because they are gay. Refused basic human rights because they are gay.

That is why it is still news. And i've yet to see an attack on gays get anywhere near the same focus as the little parasite did today because he went to fucking school.

Yes, people shouldn't be blamed for something that they have no control over. Like say, being gay, or who your parents are.

Really?

Surely everyone has the right not to be murdered or beaten up, those rights are covered by the law.

Of course gay people should be entitled to the same human rights as everyone else. I just think it gets a disproportionate amount of airtime & politicians who aren't seen to be champions of it at every turn (see SD's comments about Tony Benn) are unfairly castigated.

• Upvote 1

Son? Ha ha you fucking prick. Ha ha ha

"I am a Catholic and I take the teachings of the Catholic Church seriously". Why not believe him?

That bigoted Tory was criticised for having an anti-gay stance.

You being a Tory with an all-consuming hatred of religion immediately leapt on it thinking it would back up your own prejudice.  

It was pointed out to you that there is a strong possibility that it was more in line with his ideology than any other reason.  I remember the anti-Thatcher gay marches.  It is my experience that issues like Gay Rights are in line with leftist political discourse.  The anti-gay position is more in line with the right.  That was the case throughout the 1970s/80s when gay people were fighting for their rights and struggling to be heard.

It doesn't surprise me one bit that this bigoted idiot is ant-gay.  This fits perfectly with his right wing profile.

I would wage you then started googling "Labour anti gay" to come up with what you did.

Good for you.

• Upvote 1

That bigoted Tory was criticised for having an anti-gay stance.

You being a Tory with an all-consuming hatred of religion immediately leapt on it thinking it would back up your own prejudice.  

It was pointed out to you that there is a strong possibility that it was more in line with his ideology than any other reason.  I remember the anti-Thatcher gay marches.  It is my experience that issues like Gay Rights are in line with leftist political discourse.  The anti-gay position is more in line with the right.  That was the case throughout the 1970s/80s when gay people were fighting for their rights and struggling to be heard.

It doesn't surprise me one bit that this bigoted idiot is ant-gay.  This fits perfectly with his right wing profile.

I would wage you then started googling "Labour anti gay" to come up with what you did.

Good for you.

The man said his decision was based on his faith, I believed him. Probably because I went to a catholic school and remember the anti-gay sentiment that was prevalent then. This is around clause 28 time so I've no doubt this was a generally anti- gay time in society. Thank fuck we've moved on. But the Catholics have a book that tells them it's wrong so forgive me if I believe a man who says he believes the book is right.

No googling required, he was a colourful character, drank himself to death on a jolly.

Yes, people shouldn't be blamed for something that they have no control over. Like say, being gay, or who your parents are.

Says the man who votes for the party that does everything in their power to force disabled people off their benefits. Ironically something that they have no control over.

The man said his decision was based on his faith, I believed him. Probably because I went to a catholic school and remember the anti-gay sentiment that was prevalent then. This is around clause 28 time so I've no doubt this was a generally anti- gay time in society. Thank fuck we've moved on. But the Catholics have a book that tells them it's wrong so forgive me if I believe a man who says he believes the book is right.

No googling required, he was a colourful character, drank himself to death on a jolly.

I went to a Catholic School,same as AoT,and didn't find much anti-gay sentiment further than it was prevalent in the wider population. I think you find that once kids leave school and mature they are still able to make grown up decisions that bear little relevance to the religion of the school they went to,if a faith backed school.

I went to a Catholic school and there was very little - if any anti gay sentiment. I also went to a comprehensive and the anti gay sentiment was through the roof, so it's not just a religious thing. All the Christians i know (or have known) are very kind, selfless people. They tend to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ as opposed to a few cherrypicked sentences in the Bible. 

I went to a Catholic School,same as AoT,and didn't find much anti-gay sentiment further than it was prevalent in the wider population. I think you find that once kids leave school and mature they are still able to make grown up decisions that bear little relevance to the religion of the school they went to,if a faith backed school.

Well in a sample of 3 a third of schools were very anti-gay in the 80's. Good for you, I think a majority of kids indoctrinated for their formative years are likely to keep the faith.