You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Its simple.

He asked for more money.

We said no.

We tried to sell him all summer.

Finally, when Modric's deal fell through, Chelsea came in for him.

Mistake? Depends on when Gerrard comes back, and how well he does...

Good piece of business? Well, we got 12,000,000 for a player that we didn't particularly want, so that's good business.

Will he do well at Chelsea? Definitely.

Its simple.

He asked for more money.

We said no.

Good piece of business? Well, we got 12,000,000 for a player that we didn't particularly want, so that's good business.

Pretty much how I see it.

To be honest I wasn't happy we sold him. Not massively gutted like I was with Xabi, Masch or (until the Stamford Bridge game and his subsequent chronic shitness anyway) Torres, but I think Chelsea (one of the teams we are looking to catch up to, remember) have got the best deal here.

I remember thinking after the Arsenal game that it would be a mistake to get shot, and when he got his injury at Exeter my second thought (after it was apparent it wasn't a serious one) was "hopefully this means we won't be able to sell him".

Henderson may be the better prospect and may go on to be a better player than Raul in future, but keeping him for an extra season or two would have left us stronger I think.

Ah well, either way he's a rentboy now so fuck him.

Its simple.

He asked for more money.

We said no.

Almost how I see it. The only bit I'd change is my view on it being a good bit of business. I simply don't think it is. I think it was very poor business and Chelsea got a bargain.

We tried to sell him all summer, and received no bids, so 12m isn't bad for us... and it's probably a bargain for Chelsea.

There's no evidence to back up that we wanted him to leave. All we have is rumours and more rumours. It could well be true that we wanted rid of him, but a lot of you are stating it as fact based on reports which could all be bullshit. I mean if we're going by what the reports are saying(as they are so accurate) then poor steed is looking after his son who is seriously ill. Oh waitaminute he doesn't have son and yet every report and journalist was saying he does. Only thing we know as fact is that HE handed in a transfer request and we accepted it. If he was so desperate to stay why hand in the request? Commoli is saying we wanted to keep him and meireles is saying we broke promises. This is the only fact that we know.

Good luck to him personally but I hope he achieves nothing at Chelsea….It’s a shame he moved on as I thought he was a good player and could have contributed a lot this season. With regards to the transfer request then that is up for debate as we don’t have all the facts. At the end of the day he has been sold via a transfer request. (Which pisses me off! As these days you don’t know if the club have forced him to do it or he wanted to do it?)

Though if you look at it on a value based sale then I think Liverpool got a good deal. He will be 29 next season and the older any player gets after 28 the more there value drops…. We wouldn’t have got as much in one or two years so lets stick with the owner’s philosophy and get some new young talent in with the money we get in.

Good business Liverpool now lets move on…..!

There's no evidence to back up that we wanted him to leave. All we have is rumours and more rumours. It could well be true that we wanted rid of him, but a lot of you are stating it as fact based on reports which could all be bullshit. I mean if we're going by what the reports are saying(as they are so accurate) then poor steed is looking after his son who is seriously ill. Oh waitaminute he doesn't have son and yet every report and journalist was saying he does. Only thing we know as fact is that HE handed in a transfer request and we accepted it. If he was so desperate to stay why hand in the request? Commoli is saying we wanted to keep him and meireles is saying we broke promises. This is the only fact that we know.

Yes indeed Glen, all the rest is conjecture. On the face of it, he got the move to Chelsea that he wanted. He may not have been central to Kenny's plans, he may well have preferred to stay, we can only guess that, what we KNOW is that he handed in a Transfer Request (chances are he was forced into doing that) and that suggests that he was more than happy to go.

Yes indeed Glen, all the rest is conjecture. On the face of it, he got the move to Chelsea that he wanted. He may not have been central to Kenny's plans, he may well have preferred to stay, we can only guess that, what we KNOW is that he handed in a Transfer Request (chances are he was forced into doing that) and that suggests that he was more than happy to go.

Exactly. I personally think he wanted to go. Even if kenny said to him that he will be a regular on the bench and that they weren't going to give him a pay rise he still went to them and asked for a move. They hardly said to him "chelsea want you but we need you to hand in a transfer request". Seems to me that it was all about money. He wanted a pay rise and we didn't want to give it to him. Chelsea offered it to him, he knows the manager, so chose to leave. Why he feels the need to speak out about it i have no idea. He's a good(not great) player who i wanted to keep in the squad, but he's hardly fundamental for us to have a good season so i'm not too arsed. He wasn't making the starting 11 when gerrard wasn't fit, let alone now that he is.

Code likes the good looking ones .

Hehe there is actually some truth in that.

On Meireles, he obviously wanted to go after he understood less quality players would be preferred ahead of him while Chelsea really wanted him, if we had not made such a misjudgement he would never have left though.

Bit early to be calling it a misjudgment, we have only played one game since he was sold.

As for inferior, if Gerrard plays in the role that Raul would have played then I would say Raul was the inferior player by a country mile.

I like Raul and if we were playing in Europe, we may well have kept him, overall hopefully this is the first stage of Kenny's team. When we qualify for Europe we should be able to bring in extra quality.

On Meireles, he obviously wanted to go after he understood less quality players would be preferred ahead of him while Chelsea really wanted him, if we had not made such a misjudgement he would never have left though.

Obviously. Comolli had a bit different view of the situation. And if it is as you say, it's just a question of time when the Dalglish card will have to be played. Code or Dalglish? Personally, I'm with you on this issue (apart from him being a DM), selling Meireles was not a smart move. He would be a perfect player alongside Lucas.

I never really got the Meireles love in thing? He was a decent player and did a decent job, scored a few goals but wasnt exactly a world beater in his postion and when everyone is fit he probably wouldn't get in our team so £12m is a good price.

Bar setpieces, he uses the ball better than Henderson, Adam and Lucas. Also links up better with Suarez than the above 3.

Kenny & Damien dropped a bollock on this one and it will end up costing us.

Look, if you don't want to believe it... that's fine. We definitely let it out that he was available, as was Aquilani.

Fuck off with that shit, Code. Henderson needs games, and he'll be twice the player.

His technique and vision is already better than Raul's.

He had a good few games, the games when he was banging the goals in. Then didn't do much else after that as far as I'm concerned

£12mill is good enough for me and with super steven gerrard to come back as well, we didn't need him in the squad.

Yep.

He's a luxury player, he'll score a few cracking goals a season and catch the eye for that reason, but game in and game out I don't think he'll contribute much in all honesty.

Guest ShoePiss
Fuck off with that shit, Code. Henderson needs games, and he'll be twice the player.

His technique and vision is already better than Raul's.

He's better than Henderson, it shouldn't even be up for debate. Henderson has shown potential though, hopefully with the games he's getting he can fulfill it.

Your arrogance and condescending tone holds no bounds.

I salute you for it.

Your a legend in your own lunch time.