You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What I can't work out is, when are a lot of our fan base going to realise we are building for the long term?

Meireles as decent player for 10 games a season as he is, was never looked at for the long term.

I reckon if he'd kept his gob shut and not gone public, he'd possibly still be here.

Guest ShoePiss
What I can't work out is, when are slot of our fan base going to realise we are building for the long term?

Meireles as decent player for 10 games a season as he is, was never looked at for the long term.

I reckon if he'd kept his gob shut and not gone public, he'd possibly still be here.

This is why I'm not arsed about him going, he isn't going to get any better than he is today. Henderson on the other hand will hopefully be twice the player in the next year or two.

Well time will tell on Meireles.

I personally really don't know if he'll go on to be good for Chelsea or not. Its very much 50/50 in my mind.

I think hes a good player but not a top class one. But he did have the knack of popping up every now and again and scoring a crucial goal. Which is always handy to have about.

Selling Meireles was perfect Moneyball sense. His value was always going to wane and we'd bought 2 younger players who can play CM long-term.

Raul is a decent player but not an amazing one. His departure didn't seem to do much damage to Porto when he came to us, and I don't think we'll particularly miss him either.

What I can't work out is, when are a lot of our fan base going to realise we are building for the long term?

Building for the long term does not mean we give up on the short term. If we are building just for the long term should we get rid of Stevie and Carra now also then? Of course not. Meireles is a good player, and we have now sold him to a team playing at a higher level then us in the CL. If Gerrard breaks down yet again over the coming weeks/months, then this could really come back to haunt us.

I’d just have preferred we kept him then sold him to a team we want to compete with

I couldn't give a fuck!

A 'meh' player, nothing more. Not as good as Gerrard, and at 28 as good as he was ever going to get, missed a fair bit of last season through niggling injuries, and wanted a pay rise.

Can't see why everyone is getting their knickers in a twist over him.

Building for the long term does not mean we give up on the short term. If we are building just for the long term should we get rid of Stevie and Carra now also then? Of course not. Meireles is a good player, and we have now sold him to a team playing at a higher level then us in the CL. If Gerrard breaks down yet again over the coming weeks/months, then this could really come back to haunt us.

I’d just have preferred we kept him then sold him to a team we want to compete with

Of course not, but it's not putting short term success in any danger though is it, we have won fuck all for 5 years. We needed to shift from the mentality we had to build a new one, Meireles spat his dummy out publicly and that, as I seem to be repeating a lot in this thread 'is a no no'. Other managers in the past may have let players get away with it, but not Kenny.

Meireles keeps mouth shut and goes to Kenny privately means he stays.

Meireles goes to press and moans means he moves down south with all the other whinging players.

Gerrard has been missing injured for months and we have coped quite well without him. People need to stop thinking 'Oh what if Gerrard breaks down again' the day that he is no longer available is not far around the corner, same with Carragher. And the club are getting themselves ready for the day they are no longer available.

The squad we have is a hell of a lot stronger than it has been for years, missing a 10 good games a season player, which we have suffered enough with for the last bloody 20, is not going to do any harm short term really.

Too much worrying going on for my liking.

Of course not, but it's not putting short term success in any danger though is it, we have won fuck all for 5 years. We needed to shift from the mentality we had to build a new one, Meireles spat his dummy out publicly and that, as I seem to be repeating a lot in this thread 'is a no no'. Other managers in the past may have let players get away with it, but not Kenny.

Meireles keeps mouth shut and goes to Kenny privately means he stays.

Meireles goes to press and moans means he moves down south with all the other whinging players.

Gerrard has been missing injured for months and we have coped quite well without him. People need to stop thinking 'Oh what if Gerrard breaks down again' the day that he is no longer available is not far around the corner, same with Carragher. And the club are getting themselves ready for the day they are no longer available.

The squad we have is a hell of a lot stronger than it has been for years, missing a 10 good games a season player, which we have suffered enough with for the last bloody 20, is not going to do any harm short term really.

Too much worrying going on for my liking.

We don’t know what went on in the background to be fair. He may have spoken to Kenny, and when Kenny told him he wasn’t needed, then decided to tell the press why he was off. He will have seen how Torres is thought of now and will want to have made it very clear to the fans that it was not his choice to leave. I’m not quite sure if the punishment of been sent “down south with all the other whinging players” is that much of a punishment when you consider he is now with a team with a much better chance of winning something, especially the league, then us and he is now back playing in the Champions League, but that’s a whole other thing.

I generally accept what you’re saying and there is no doubt that we have a much stronger squad then last year, and our first 11 is the strongest it’s been since the 2008/2009 season when we had the best first 11 in England. I also think in the full ness of time that Henderson will be a much better player then Meireles, but not yet, and that’s why I’d have rather kept him.

I’m naturally going to worry after a loss at Stoke. I very much doubt the likes of both Manc clubs and Chelsea will lose there. We are still a fragile team and poor confidence and a bad run could be only a few missed chances away. I think we need to stay in the top 6 while players bed in and then hopefully get higher and higher as the season progresses and cement 4th as early as possible. Getting Stevie back fully fit will be a huge boost, especially if he now has full confidence in his groin to the extent that he’ll start shooting from distance again.

I’ll continue to worry all season. That’s just me. But I haven’t lost sight of how good things are now compared to 12 months ago. But I also won’t settle for mediocrity when we have spent more then virtually every other team in Europe barring a few noticeable exceptions, and so should expect to be challenging to be a top 4 team again.

I'm not really worried about the stoke game. They're always hard to play at home, and we do remarkably shit against them.

We absolutely battered them, and on another day, we'd have won by a large margain.

Until they lube up and bend over weekend after next.

I couldn't give a fuck!

A 'meh' player, nothing more. Not as good as Gerrard, and at 28 as good as he was ever going to get, missed a fair bit of last season through niggling injuries, and wanted a pay rise.

Can't see why everyone is getting their knickers in a twist over him.

Agree mate. He's a bottler and a shithouse. We need more hardmen like Adam in our midfield.

Meireles is a regular for the Portuguese and is starting for a team in the premiership that are better than us. Henderson is one for the future and Adam can be effective against the poor teams but to say there wasn't a place for Meireles in our squad is ridiculous. There are all these rumours about a promised pay rise etc and the issue re his handing in a transfer request.

If I was a Portuguese International and a technically gifted player and was as fit as Kuyt (apparently) then I would have been looking to leave also when I see Henderson and Adam getting more game time. A player that is good and believes in himself has to walk away from a situation when you are getting replaced in the first 11 by inferior players.

He is gone, get over it, handed in a transfer request.

He wanted to stay but we broke a verbal promise of a pay rise and then asked him to submit a request to make us look better.

And before anyone justifies it by saying the promise was made by previous management - we had no problem giving Carra a lengthy, lucrative contract promised to him by previous owners.

We made a bad footballing decision, get over it.

He wanted to stay but we broke a verbal promise of a pay rise and then asked him to submit a request to make us look better.

And before anyone justifies it by saying the promise was made by previous management - we had no problem giving Carra a lengthy, lucrative contract promised to him by previous owners.

We made a bad footballing decision, get over it.

Oh my bad, didn't know I was talking with one of Raul's friend's with all the inside info. You should go support Chelsea and the next team Raul gets moved onto in the summer.

Simon, I think i'm with you on this sturridge thing. That goal he scored yesterday was pure brilliance.

Mate people take the piss out of me but I speaks allot of sense even though Torres maybe back he will out score any Chav player if given the chance.

If I was a Portuguese International and a technically gifted player and was as fit as Kuyt (apparently) then I would have been looking to leave also when I see Henderson and Adam getting more game time. A player that is good and believes in himself has to walk away from a situation when you are getting replaced in the first 11 by inferior players.

And getting paid more money.

Oh yeah, he was fucking awful yesterday, had no idea where he should be, didn't get tight on his man all game, was wandering around like a fucking lost child when United got there third, running around aimlessly then threw some shit tackle in, Chelsea's worst player, bar Lampard who looks like he's finished.

:yes:

At last some sense. He is not suitable to play holding in the middle in England.