You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Twitter comments could spell trouble for Babel

lostinspace1970

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have sympathy for both parties.

I'#m convinced that under a manager that allowed young men to be young men and not machines that Babel would have been a better player than he is today.

But, equally, his attitude has been atrocious at times and he puts me in mind of the clever lad at school who could do so much better but hates the teacher so fucking much he just outright refuses to learn.

Birmingham's "£9m offer" must have been a Purlsow style "with add ons and including wages" job.

27 quid and a pack of quavers (original cheese flavour) up front to us, plus £125k a week to Babel for 18 months.

Thought that you didn't consider price............

You're about Babel though because he is crap

He is a Twat that wants away and will do anything he can to force the hand of the manager so that he can go to the World Cup he shows nothing when he plays no heart no fight no desire when he plays if he is so good he should be banging in the goals and say fuck you Rafa thats what i can do

but instead what we get is instead of Babel on the back pages for scoring goals its reports of him twittering ffs

dont let the door smack you on the arse on the way out

most of the players are well behaved but there is no doubt we have seen a slip in recent years, some of them need a boot up the arse and to be reminded of what is expected of them. I hope to god if Benitez is staying he is planning to make changes to the playing staff when he's able to

I have no idea what goes on behind closed doors but sometimes I feel Benitez is too soft on them for his own good. He needs to get mad with some of them like Ferguson for example has done in the recent past

I can't believe he's done this to be honest, because how can he expect Rafa to have any time for him if he's saying things like that on twitter? He really should just try getting out of the club if he's that pissed off. Even at Birmingham if he'd have accepted the move he could've played regularly and been a lot happier, and if he was wanting to be at a bigger club someone would probably just move in for him anyway in a season or two if he did well enough.

I still think he has the ability, but he's just not got the confidence he needs which would have to come from regular games, and can't play anything like he could do without that confidence.

All those failed dribbling runs he makes, etc, I bet he'd not do even half of that with his confidence there.

I've seen Kuyt play every game this season (and badly I might add) and he's never scored as good or as important goals as Babel

Sorry.....but at that point I lost interest. Kuyt isn't a world beater but to say he hasn't scored important goals sends your argument down the toliet. I agree that Babel has talent (no doubt more than Kuyt) but he hasn't got the right attitude nor the brain cells to match.

Ok, where do I start.

He's had more than enough opportunities to demonstrate his skill and potential. But yet he has flattered to deceive. And that is being polite.

In a word he has been a blert.

Yer Ma!

I do not know how to rep, if I did I would cuz:

A. Its a good point.

B. You used the word blert.

C. Signed off with Yer Ma!

Top shelf this.

Nani and Babel need to take a long look in the mirror

In the summer of 2007 two of the most sought-after young talents in European football secured multimillion-pound moves to England’s two most successful clubs. Nani joined Manchester United from Sporting, for a projected fee of £17.3 million, and Ryan Babel moved to Liverpool from Ajax for £11.5 million.

The young men had plenty in common. They were born a month apart, in 1986, both had been teenage prodigies and both had a similar party piece, which involved cutting in from the left wing and lashing a right-foot shot past a bewildered goalkeeper. When in the mood, they would celebrate with a somersault.

Nani and Babel, though, have stagnated, failing miserably to live up to expectations. The patience of their club managers has worn so thin that it is only a matter of time before they are shipped out.

Stories of unfulfilled potential at big clubs are nothing new, but what grates about this pair is their misplaced sense of entitlement.

In an interview with a Portuguese newspaper in November Nani bemoaned his lack of first-team opportunities at United, suggesting that he was being "mishandled" by Sir Alex Ferguson and that "I can have a spectacular game, but nobody guarantees me I will be starting the next match."

As for Babel, his preferred outlet for moaning is Twitter, the micro-blogging website, where he revealed on Friday that he had been dropped from the Liverpool squad to face Stoke City — "no explanation" — and then, in an attempt at self-justification, he asked: "What happened after a first good season [at Liverpool]? Scoring ten goals, being young talent of the year, and then second and this season don’t play at all. One day you will see what I’m capable off [sic]."

Both players are entitled to feel that "one day" they will come good. But their belief that their performances, as distinct from the odd goal, merit indulgence is misplaced. As for the "young talent" award that Babel alludes to, it was the one voted for on Liverpool’s official website, whose other nominees were Lucas Leiva, Damien Plessis, Emiliano Insúa and Sebastián Leto.

It is legitimate to question how Nani or Babel might have fared under the tuition of Arsène Wenger, always protective of young talent, but, ultimately, it comes down to application. Cristiano Ronaldo struggled in his first couple of seasons at United, but his attitude, at least in terms of self-improvement and making the best of his own ability, meant he was destined for great things.

If Nani and Babel are looking for someone to blame for their struggles, they could do worse than take a long, hard look in the mirror.

TheGame - Times Online - WBLG: Nani and Babel need to take a long look in the mirror