You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brilliant stuff last night. Really enjoyed hearing the new stuff live. To be honest, I'm probably more excited about the band they've become or are becoming, rather than the one they were.

Was funny catching the faces of a couple of 'lids' when the likes of Cornerstone and The Jeweller's Hands were played- "what de fuck is dis, lid?"

Brilliant stuff last night. Really enjoyed hearing the new stuff live. To be honest, I'm probably more excited about the band they've become or are becoming, rather than the one they were.

Was funny catching the faces of a couple of 'lids' when the likes of Cornerstone and The Jeweller's Hands were played- "what de fuck is dis, lid?"

Haha i some some like that as well. When they started with Dance Little Liar they didn't have a clue what was goin on.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Thought this was worthy after the release of AM.

What's the GF's verdict on it?

Personally, I think it's something really special. A lot of different elements in there all coming together and the past week, I've been absolutely hammering it. Some cracking tunes on there. Really looking forward to seeing them at the Echo next month.

i think it's implying that people danced like robots in 1984. i was born that year also so that is involved. 

just watch top of the pops 2 from around that time and you will see how they dance. 

if the terminator danced it would have been footloose with guns and thats not a good thing. imagine it , when he is at the counter in the bizzie station before he shot the cunt out of it. "i'll be back' followed by a moonwalk and a twist.... nah not having it. so no, you are wrong i think mate. 

the new album is class by the way. 

• Downvote 3

i think it's implying that people danced like robots in 1984. i was born that year also so that is involved. 

just watch top of the pops 2 from around that time and you will see how they dance. 

if the terminator danced it would have been footloose with guns and thats not a good thing. imagine it , when he is at the counter in the bizzie station before he shot the cunt out of it. "i'll be back' followed by a moonwalk and a twist.... nah not having it. so no, you are wrong i think mate. 

the new album is class by the way.

Well, in my theory he's talking about a bird who's cold, no emotion, therefore the ref to Terminator.

Oh and negged for being young.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The Terminator doesn't dance - didn't you see him in Tech Noir? He's not interested in meeting chicks (unless its Sarah Connor), playing it smooth busting shapes & swiveling his hips, he's straight to shooting up the fucking joint.

Maybe that's when he went wrong. Maybe he should have put on his best pulling gear, made his way over to here on the dance floor, have her twerk him & then break her neck?

Anyway, just listened to AM, it's better than I thought.

• Upvote 1

Well, in my theory he's talking about a bird who's cold, no emotion, therefore the ref to Terminator.

Oh and negged for being young.

It's a reference to Jon McClure from Reverend and the makers who fronted a band called 1984. Common knowledge they were big mates and in a band together before the Arctic Monkeys.

Oh, and negged for being wrong!

The lyric "dancing to electro-pop like a robot from 1984" from the Arctic Monkeys song "I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor", is a reference to Jon's band, 1984. Maintaining Alex Turner's close link with McClure, who provided much of Turner's inspiration in his early songwriting days.

• Upvote 3

I really like the album and had it on my car all week. 

They where fantastic when I watched them at Glastonbury and looking forward to watching them next month at the Echo. They have the Strypes are supporting too so will be interesting to see how good they are as thought they were average when I saw them for the first time.

i saw them at reading festival in 2009, humbug had only come out a week ago so didn't no many if the songs and they played loads off it. they were ok.... worst part of it though was that the prodigy were on before them. 

how any act in the world can follow them is beyond me. 

The new record is boss, which is to be expected. They - well mostly Alex Turner, even if he is pretty fucking cool - may have let all the fame and beak go to their heads since fucking off to America, but they continue to produce excellent music. Each one of their albums has a different sound, and the consistency and quality is remarkable (not quite sure where the new one ranks yet as I've only listened to it a few times, but I think each album they've done has been better than its predecessor). They're the most important British band around at the minute, for me, and I'd go as far as to say the best we've had this century.

• Upvote 1