You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer '09 Transfer Speculation Thread

Gray - YPC

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
his agent is in the press angling for a move again, would you seriously consider taking him?

just think if we got him fit and on form at Anfield it would be spectacular. I reckon he'd create loads of chances and would love playing with Gerrard and Torres.

would be interesting if we could get him for some small fee and let him experience the premiership.

what do you think?

I thought that when he first went to Milan, and thought he'd really tear it up over there and couldn't understand why we didn't go for him.

Spoke to a mate about it at the time who really knows his La Liga and he told me at the time that he wouldn't last long as he's finished as a top level player as he's lost all interest and would rather go out on the ale.

He was proven to be spot on, and if he couldn't hack it over there, there is no way he could do it here.

Worrying trait amongst latter day high profile Brazilians attackers of late.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a combination of a looming world cup, playing mostly at Anfield and with players like Gerrard and Torres we can get him to apply himself

we need some samba magic not Stewart Downing, we should take a punt on talent like this if its available.

I think a combination of a looming world cup, playing mostly at Anfield and with players like Gerrard and Torres we can get him to apply himself

we need some samba magic not Stewart Downing, we should take a punt on talent like this if its available.

Even on a free, it would be an absolute waste of £100,000+ a week.

The lad is finished and has little desire to recapture what he once had, and even if he did, he's abused his body that much it wouldn't be possible, it's not a gamble I could see Rafa considering.

If Milan didn't inspire him and Milan Lab couldn't get him fit and firing, nothing will

I can't see any club with genuine ambition going near him

Man City on the other hand

I watched him in both milan derbys this season and was pleaseantly surprised at how well he played. Especially in the second one that ac lost. The magic was definately still there. Disguising passes here, there and everywhere. He was really dangerous the whole game and Inter were really struggling with him. However, thats two of the biggest games of milans season and ive no idea how he performed over the whole season and with the wages he'd cost I doubt it'd be worth the risk.

would he accept a reduction in wages to play for one of the best clubs in the world and in the CL etc... you dont know unless you ask and if he is then he'd be up for it, if not he can take the easy money at City.

He'd be worth it just for the shirt sales surely?

Can't see them markedly increase that much, when you consider we already have two superstars, people aren't suddenly going to go out and buy 2 shirts.

Certainly not enough to cover 100k a week anyway

He's done pretty well for Milan this season, and I'm sure he's into double figures for goals, but since the new year has struggled with injuries and has been used mainly as a substitute since then.

I'm not too sure how his attitude has been off the pitch though, but I would imagine he still likes a few beers.

He still has the talent, but questions must be raised over his fitness and desire to recapture his form.

I would consider him if the price was right, but only on a short term contract, to keep any possible losses to a minimum.

Not better than Gerrard.

not saying he is but put him next to Gerrard and I bet he'd love it

we should take a risk on a sublime talent if its available (and on the right terms) rather than someone who isnt good enough in the end and whose impact will be marginal

He's been very in and out for Milan. Even in his better games he's not been at the level he was before. He never will get back to being what he was and it would be a huge waste of money. He'd hate the weather, you've got the language barrier, the questionable attitude, the even more questionable fitness record and most importantly, he's not very productive these days.

No chance Rafa would sign him and nore should he.

if he was ace we wouldnt have a chance of maybe landing him for free and on favourable terms, sometimes it's worth a gamble when a player like that has such class and backing Benitez to get the best out of him, in a red shirt at Anfield is the perfect arena for someone of his talents and the players around him.

plus we need the unconventional not another predictable player who gets 2 goals a season

if he was ace we wouldnt have a chance of maybe landing him for free and on favourable terms, sometimes it's worth a gamble when a player like that has such class and backing Benitez to get the best out of him, in a red shirt at Anfield is the perfect arena for someone of his talents and the players around him.

plus we need the unconventional not another predictable player who gets 2 goals a season

Oi, you leiva Lucas out of this!

Why would we be getting him for free or on favourable terms?

Because Milan want him off the wage bill

And if he isn't good enough for Milan.....................

If he can't do it at Milan, why would he do it here? Over there was the perfect place for him to ressurect his career. He got to play next to his mates Pato and Kaka in one of the best stadiums in the world, in a hot country, with the best set up in Europe (Milanello) geared towards getting the best out of players and extending their careers and still he's been average at best.

Doubt he'd produce more than Yossi or Dirk over the course of a season (fucking hell theres a sentence i'd never thought i'd have said!), we could do much, much better and we really must do much, much better this summer.

If he can't do it at Milan, why would he do it here? Over there was the perfect place for him to ressurect his career. He got to play next to his mates Pato and Kaka in one of the best stadiums in the world, in a hot country, with the best set up in Europe (Milanello) geared towards getting the best out of players and extending their careers and still he's been average at best.

Doubt he'd produce more than Yossi or Dirk over the course of a season (fucking hell theres a sentence i'd never thought i'd have said!), we could do much, much better and we really must do much, much better this summer.

the thing is even if we had him on form for just a few games it could win us the title, such as how close things could be.

i'd back us to get a few magical performances out of him at Anfield with the likes of Gerrard and Torres and the Anfield crowd, he has tremendous experience as well

the thing is even if we had him on form for just a few games it could win us the title, such as how close things could be.

i'd back us to get a few magical performances out of him at Anfield with the likes of Gerrard and Torres and the Anfield crowd, he has tremendous experience as well

I know what you mean but i just don't believe he has "it" anymore.

I also could never see Rafa paying ridiculous money for/to a player who is lazy, past his best and probably not even physically capable of playing well in this league. As i said, we'd likely get more out of Kuyt and Yossi and i'd expect us to get a lot more out of a player like Zhirkov or Silva.

if he comes he would have to make cuts and sacrifices so you can't lose. he'd be up for it and the world cup will focus his mind.

if he wants it easy and to just collect a big pay check he can stay where he is or he can go to City, if he wants a challenge and to show some sporting ambition then a deal has to be on our terms.

You never know unless you ask and see if it's the right deal. could be a master stroke

Hang on, just a couple of things;

a) Has he even said he wants to leave? Or has anyone reputable from Milan said they want him to go? Because I'm pretty sure he likes it there, and I can't see him moving in the summer. Agents 'say' things all the time, the vast majority of it is bollocks.

b) Also, he has played well for Milan, but like I said before, has struggled with injuries the past few months. He hasn't flopped, proven that he's past it. He may not be the player he was 3 or 4 seasons ago, but that player was one of the best of all time. He works harder when he is playing than he really did at Barca, like he is trying to prove that he still has it.

Just think he is getting a bit of unfair stick for his performances, and I imagine from some who have hardly seen him play this season.