You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My opinion of Kuyt has changed this season, I've started to appreciate the work that he does for the team more and more. In previous seasons I've slated him for the amount of times he makes mistakes during games but this season he seems to be making less, whilst continuing to put in a phenomenal amount of work.

His recent goals have been an added bonus but even before them I would have had him in my starting 11 week after week, which would not have been the case in previous seasons.

I said it.

I stand by it.

He's our level top scorer, got us through to the CL, scored crucial goals that won us 4 additional points in our last 2 games and has been very good. Who has been better than him thus far? Torres has scored but been below his level. Gerrard's not got started. Masch has been in and out. Xabi hot and cold. I'd say Reina and Carra are the only players who has been consistantly excellent aside from Dirk, maybe Riera too.

You are correct, IMO. You have to be pretty anti-Dirk not to at least recognise that he is one of our best players, so far, this season.

He is putting goals away, which is the anti-Dirk supporters biggest stick to beat him with... and he is continuing to work incredibly hard, as usual. His first touch is still a bit inconsistent but he recovers more than he loses.

its amazing what a bit of luck, some confidence, and not having the weight of your father's death on your mind will do for you as a player.

every player has a bad patch and a good one, but dirk kuyt will always stand up and be counted. there are games where he will be shit and games where he does no wrong, but his attitude regardless of what type of patch he's in has always been spot on.

he will always have a place in any liverpool squad for me and i gather rafa feels the same way. his versatility is underappreciated as is the fact that he does donkey work for those who either can't or won't.

all that said he's still just an above average player, but you need players like dirk in a championship winning side. it can't just be a fantasy XI.

This is good post.

I've always been more of a fan than a hater, because for a start his debut season as a striker yielded a not-disgraceful Premiership total of 12 goals, which is the same amount of goals Crouch scored in his best ever season.

And while he isn't everyone's (anyone's?) idea of a perfect right-winger/ right midfielder, again I'd say that with the acquisition of a "proper" winger in Riera, I wouldn't really want a similar type of "line-hugger" on the right, because we need more options (and goal-threat) from the right.

Kuyt give us options, works hard, creates space and is now scoring again domestically. He's been in good form for a while now, and I hope he keeps it up.

He did well in the last few games. Leave him alone. I'm not anti-Dirk, I'm anti-average, and I'm anti-lowering the expected standards, which he certainly has been guilty of on several occasions. This is what some people can't understand, as it conflicts with their love of the personality above what is good for the team. His contributions have been better than average recently, and so I'm not having a dig. Just because I don't fawn over him, doesn't mean I don't appreciate it when he plays well. I know that's a difficult concept for some to grasp, that's why I have to keep repeating it every time he plays well.

I think both sides need to give it a rest now, it's at the point where the same arguments are given no matter how he plays.

I totally agree mate but I'm sorry it's like a red rag to a bull.

He (stringvest) does it on threads about Pennant, threads about Crouch etc. And if someone starts a lighthearted thread, like this one, you can be sure stringvest will pop his smug head up and stick his oar in.

But I acknowledge that it's getting fucking boring and I'll try not to respond.

I totally agree mate but I'm sorry it's like a red rag to a bull.

He (stringvest) does it on threads about Pennant, threads about Crouch etc. And if someone starts a lighthearted thread, like this one, you can be sure stringvest will pop his smug head up and stick his oar in.

But I acknowledge that it's getting fucking boring and I'll try not to respond.

That's all you can do, dude.

I think both sides need to give it a rest now, it's at the point where the same arguments are given no matter how he plays.

If it's ok to cheer on Torres I'll cheer on Dirk, especlally the season he's having, he deserves the accolades. You had a dig earlier too Jules.

As for antieDirks, I'll continue to pick at what I think is wrong in their assessment (i.e yeah he scores now to add to his workrate but so what, he's still shit) if it's new. If I don't whats the point of a forum? I won't do it to death.

Trust in Rafa, trust in Dirk. TIRTID

No it isn't you silly man. I love Torres, I love Dirk. The Skip loves Skrtel. You love me. There are no rules to love, you've just got to follow your heart.

I'm not arguing with you as it's not worth it, there's plenty I could say but won't. I dunno about the Skrtel thing as I've never heard Dave say that he loves him as a player. You'e fast turning into a zealot, a parody.

I dont get people sometimes, they dont like it when Kuyt doesnt score and then they have a problem when he does.

Kuyt is not a prolific scorer, never was never will be one, but unlike Torres thats not why he is loved so much by his manager and the fans. He works so damn hard for the team that he is almost a combination of Carra and Masch with a knack for scoring goals.

Whenever we are on the defensive he always busts a gut to get back and cover first, even if he is a striker playing up field.

At the Wigan game I saw him run back, claim the ball in the middle of the park pass it and run straight into the srtikers postion. This is what he does and this is why he is loved.

The goals that he has been socring of late are his just rewards for all the hard work he has been doing for the team and we should support him for it.

I remain unconverted.

He is superb at tracking back, his work rate is second to none. But his League Goal record is fucking abysmal.

Against Man city, he scored his first league goal since last november. Before Saturday, his last league goal at anfield was against Wigan 2 Seasons ago.

For a striker that is a terrible return especially when you consider he plays nearly every game.

I dont get people sometimes, they dont like it when Kuyt doesnt score and then they have a problem when he does.

Kuyt is not a prolific scorer, never was never will be one, but unlike Torres thats not why he is loved so much by his manager and the fans. He works so damn hard for the team that he is almost a combination of Carra and Masch with a knack for scoring goals.

Whenever we are on the defensive he always busts a gut to get back and cover first, even if he is a striker playing up field.

At the Wigan game I saw him run back, claim the ball in the middle of the park pass it and run straight into the srtikers postion. This is what he does and this is why he is loved.

The goals that he has been socring of late are his just rewards for all the hard work he has been doing for the team and we should support him for it.

His record in Holland would suggest otherwse;

83 goals in 122 apperances for Feyernood

66 goals in 184 appearances for FC Utrecht

I agree with the rest of your post though.