You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Just how long exactly does it take to reach whatever level of fitness is required by a professional footballer?

Riera has well-exceeded my expectations but as has been noted, his fitness is a bit lacking. Does a footballer's fitness level drop so dramatically from not playing for a few weeks during the summer? I mean they should still be pretty damn fit. Nevertheless, he's been here 4 weeks now so how long exactly should it take for him to be capable of playing for 90 minutes?

Fitness levels are varied by genetics and training. Times to regain those levels are also varied by genetics and training.

Off the pitch activies can hinder as well: Drinking, poor diet, lack of sleep, stress, etc.

Some people will simply never be able to handle a full 90minutes in the Premiership regardless of any variable because of their physiology.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What the new signings' performances so far tell us is that people who rush to make judgements on players WITHOUT EVIDENCE end up with scrambled egg all over their faces. Riera - and Rafa - was heavily criticised on here over the summer, but he's clearly a decent player, as anyone who watched Spanish football ought to know. Likewise, i think Keane's signing was greeted with more hysteria than even the purchase of Nando last year - and yet, apart from one great moment yesterday, Keane has been underwhelming at best. There were more cautious voices (mine among them) at the time, pointing out he's not as good as his reputation, but we were drowned out.

Before this becomes an 'I told you so' moment, I should add that I thought Dossena would be a great signing (jury rather out on that to say the least!!), and last season I thought Benayoun would be a world-beater for us!

But - the lesson is. Judge a player ONCE he's in the red shirt, not before.

I quite like what I've seen so far. He offers good balance to the side and that helps the whole thing. He doesn't have explosive pace, but he does have lots of skill. I suppose if you want both attributes in a winger, you are looking in the £20M bracket, plus they don't exactly grow on trees!

Riera is skilful and keeps the ball well. He will get a bit stronger as he plays more, and we'll see less of him going to ground.

As for Babel, he will get plenty of games this season. He has done well enough when he has featured thus far, causing a real threat and getting on the scoresheet (indeed Babel might have had one or two more goals had Rafa brought him on instead of shoring it up with the win secure e.g. Everton game).

What the new signings' performances so far tell us is that people who rush to make judgements on players WITHOUT EVIDENCE end up with scrambled egg all over their faces. Riera - and Rafa - was heavily criticised on here over the summer, but he's clearly a decent player, as anyone who watched Spanish football ought to know. Likewise, i think Keane's signing was greeted with more hysteria than even the purchase of Nando last year - and yet, apart from one great moment yesterday, Keane has been underwhelming at best. There were more cautious voices (mine among them) at the time, pointing out he's not as good as his reputation, but we were drowned out.

Before this becomes an 'I told you so' moment, I should add that I thought Dossena would be a great signing (jury rather out on that to say the least!!), and last season I thought Benayoun would be a world-beater for us!

But - the lesson is. Judge a player ONCE he's in the red shirt, not before.

That's a fair point on the hysteria that surrounded the Keane signing. I've yet to see anything to suggest he'll offer much more than the purchase of Craig Bellamy did - a pretty decent, but not world class talent. A £7/8m player.

He's a better direct replacement for Nando than Voronin or Crouch were in our current system though.

I think Keane is class and is far better than Bellamy was. He might not have scored yet but he's playing really well.

If you watch the goals from Saturday again, he created both of them with his movement and ability on the ball. I really like him and it was nice to see the partnership starting to click a bit on the weekend.

Edited by Brownie

I think Keane is class and is far better than Bellamy was. He might not have scored yet but he's playing really well.

If you watch the goals from Saturday again, he created both of them with his movement ability on the ball. I really like him and it was nice to see the partnership starting to click a bit on the weekend.

I agree, Keane Torres and Kuyt are striking up a good threesome understanding. Both goals had all 3 involved.

If you watch the goals from Saturday again, he created both of them with his movement ability on the ball. I really like him and it was nice to see the partnership starting to click a bit on the weekend.

He will score soon enough. I think he has been great for us and was up there with the best on Saturday.

He will score soon enough. I think he has been great for us and was up there with the best on Saturday.

Another thing about Keane, is the Spurs situation. They don't look half as good without him. People might say you could include Berbatov in that and maybe that's the case but I know one thing - Spurs are far weaker without Keane in their team.

Keane will score on Wednesday, no doubt about it.

If you watch the goals from Saturday again, he created both of them with his movement and ability on the ball. I really like him and it was nice to see the partnership starting to click a bit on the weekend.

Aye - after watching the game again, I wish I'd have included him as 1 of the 3 in the MOTM thread.

I warned you all he would be ace but you wouldn't have it would you. Now look what's happened, you made idiots of yourselves in front on all your netfriends.

Where is code and dem other idlechatters ratcatheter and the like? Not on this thread it seems. Probably watching Stuart Downing in training, showing off to Parnabies, wannabies and morrisons in shit pouring rain soaked Middlesbore and fawning over their youth set up huddled next to rash, crayons in hand.

Keane seems, after a sluggish start, to be slowly withdrawing his finger from his arse, when he triumphantly lifts it and has a sniff then offers it round in the oppo penalty box, he'll start smashing them in.

i think he's been very tidy and agree that the balance of the team has looked much better since he's come in.

i think there's more to come from him aswell.

he'll have to man up a bit more as he was going down far too easily at times but he's been promising.

im gonna refer to him as bert riera from now on.

Another thing about Keane, is the Spurs situation. They don't look half as good without him. People might say you could include Berbatov in that and maybe that's the case but I know one thing - Spurs are far weaker without Keane in their team.

Keane will score on Wednesday, no doubt about it.

Yep. I hope it doesn't drag on and become Crouchlike as the constant references to it by witless gimps in the media does my noggin in. It won't bother me at all as long as he keeps playing well though.

When i was just a little boy

I asked our rafa

what do we need?

Do we need queresma

or that wackeeeen

Here's what he said to me

we'll get Riera son

played for city and beat the scum

written off by almost everyone

turns out he's pretty good and an astute signing who's width free's up our other players, gives us an added dimension and there defenders more to worry about whilst lessening the congestion down the middle.

I think the last line needs a bit of work.