You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Thatcher...  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Thatcher...

• is a heroine who lifted this country from its knees; one of our greatest ever PMs.
    • was a necessary evil; someone had to do what she did.
    • makes me shudder with rage with every breath she takes; she destroyed our country.
    • personal feeling aside, it's too soon to see her true legacy.

21 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I actually agree with a lot of that. I agree she's staked her reputation on fiscal responsibility. I can see her point on New Labour. I definitely do not agree with the 79 stuff but ignoring that the major issue for me is her pledge on reducing the defict after the first five years whilst still producing growth at a level which will outstrip most of the G7. She's tied her hands and it was unnecessary to do so. The main two ways to increase growth are public spending on infrastructure or cutting taxes. The second is surely a no no so without the investment its difficult to see where that level of growth will come from. The other two options would be to rejoin the EU or have an increase in immigration to boost the economy but she's (probably wisely) ruled both out for political reasons.  The speech did contain some good things, the abolishment of the gig economy and crackdown on Zero hours contracts are more than  welcome. Although they've uturned a little on the second. 

The pollster John Curtice yesterday said the chances of the torys forming the next government are approx 5%. Its an interveiw for talk tv so I won't post link but if you type in his name you can veiw it. Point being pandering to the right is no longer necessary. The next election is in the bag. The question now is what are Labours visions  Government and that speech suggests their isn't one. The country is crying out for change, it'll be a tragedy if Labour do not produce it because of choice. 

Until labour are the party of government, they're not the party of government. 5% or not, 5% is still a chance no matter how small. Labour was supposed to be destroyed for a generation after the last election, yet we've seen a poll lead for over half the term of parliament and about a 20% lead for 2 years if it's maintained till the election. You can't predict what will happen. There is lots could happen between now and the election, which doesn't actually have to happen until Jan 25. They could even get desperate enough to find a way to bring Johnson back. Who knows?

Labour need to keep doing what they're doing, because it seems to me, they know what they're doing. I'm pretty sure you've been saying labours message has been off since the day starmer took charge, yet here we are with a 20 point lead from about a similar deficit. The real test of starmer and reeve, will be when they're in power, all they can do now is try and find as many votes as they can. They've quickly U turned whenever they've needed over the last 2 years and there's plenty of time for them to say other things in the run up to the election. And when they're voted in? As I said before, they can still chuck every promise and blame it on the Tories. 

23 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Until labour are the party of government, they're not the party of government. 5% or not, 5% is still a chance no matter how small. Labour was supposed to be destroyed for a generation after the last election, yet we've seen a poll lead for over half the term of parliament and about a 20% lead for 2 years if it's maintained till the election. You can't predict what will happen. There is lots could happen between now and the election, which doesn't actually have to happen until Jan 25. They could even get desperate enough to find a way to bring Johnson back. Who knows?

Labour need to keep doing what they're doing, because it seems to me, they know what they're doing. I'm pretty sure you've been saying labours message has been off since the day starmer took charge, yet here we are with a 20 point lead from about a similar deficit. The real test of starmer and reeve, will be when they're in power, all they can do now is try and find as many votes as they can. They've quickly U turned whenever they've needed over the last 2 years and there's plenty of time for them to say other things in the run up to the election. And when they're voted in? As I said before, they can still chuck every promise and blame it on the Tories. 

One of the criticisms of Reeves speech is she's tied her own hands unnecessarily. Plus laying out a differing economic plan to the tories would not lose votes anyway. The excuse of being tied because you have to stick to failed tory fiscal rules to appeal to right wing voters just to win the election is sounding more and more lame with each passing week. 

@Gnasher you are capable of speaking sense and making a fair argument on certain topics mate but stop throwing random copied posts/tweets all the time. Sometimes it’s necessary but sometimes I’m scrolling down the thread during a discussion you’re involved in and then …..

IMG_2871.gif

7 hours ago, Gnasher said:

One of the criticisms of Reeves speech is she's tied her own hands unnecessarily. Plus laying out a differing economic plan to the tories would not lose votes anyway. The excuse of being tied because you have to stick to failed tory fiscal rules to appeal to right wing voters just to win the election is sounding more and more lame with each passing week. 

Obviously you think her words tie her to a policy. I don't think they do. Analese Dodds was on kuntsberg this morning saying "we'll have to understand the Tory 48bn black hole national insurance giveaway" in reference to the triple lock. It's literally what they will use with any policy they don't want to hold on to after an election. 

21 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Obviously you think her words tie her to a policy. I don't think they do. Analese Dodds was on kuntsberg this morning saying "we'll have to understand the Tory 48bn black hole national insurance giveaway" in reference to the triple lock. It's literally what they will use with any policy they don't want to hold on to after an election. 

I thought Dodds was referring to the possible further National Insurance cuts and subsequent lost revenue when referring to the 48mil. Although I might have been mistaken. 

19 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

I thought Dodds was referring to the possible further National Insurance cuts and subsequent lost revenue when referring to the 48mil. Although I might have been mistaken. 

She was. That's literally what I've just said. But they'll roll it out for everything now. When they drop a policy, it'll be "it's the black hole from the Torys". So to the point, what reeves said last week locks here into absolutely nothing. They've got a bucket load of get out of jail free cards. 

The fear for me is the damage these cunts have done in last 14 years is so deep that Lab will look like failures whatever they do and with the tory machine and its hige support from business, media etc in overdrive in opposition they'll get smeared and blamed for everything and painted as the villains and will be voted out again after 5 years.

I've already seen cunts like the boss of currys saying lab overhauling employment laws and workers rights will leave workers ultimately worse off blah blah blah...

I am almost minded to feel let the tory vermin win again and have another 5 years and continue to drag us down the black hole they have been for last 14 and for country to hit rock bottom - meaning the cunts will be unelectable again for a generation as even the stupidest and most cuntish in this country realise once and for all what they are....

But the price is too heavy to pay and too many will suffer - so we need them out now, but the mess lab will be taking on is a thankless one and one i fear they won't get a fair crack at.

8 minutes ago, an tha said:

The fear for me is the damage these cunts have done in last 14 years is so deep that Lab will look like failures whatever they do and with the tory machine and its hige support from business, media etc in overdrive in opposition they'll get smeared and blamed for everything and painted as the villains and will be voted out again after 5 years.

I've already seen cunts like the boss of currys saying lab overhauling employment laws and workers rights will leave workers ultimately worse off blah blah blah...

I am almost minded to feel let the tory vermin win again and have another 5 years and continue to drag us down the black hole they have been for last 14 and for country to hit rock bottom - meaning the cunts will be unelectable again for a generation as even the stupidest and most cuntish in this country realise once and for all what they are....

But the price is too heavy to pay and too many will suffer - so we need them out now, but the mess lab will be taking on is a thankless one and one i fear they won't get a fair crack at.

Mate, the first PMQ’s will be some Tory saying “look at the state of the country under Labour!” 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, an tha said:

Another 5 years of these cunts,genuinely doesn't bear thinking about 

16 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Another 5 years of these cunts,genuinely doesn't bear thinking about 

That bird has flown. Not one political commentator or pollster in the country things the torys have a chance of winning the next election. For idiots who wish to lose cash they're 14-1 in a two horse race. They should be 40-1. 

https://www.gambling.com/uk/news/next-uk-general-election-betting-odds-2300500

52 minutes ago, an tha said:

Or you can look at it that labour can't make it worse than it already is. 

43 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Mate, the first PMQ’s will be some Tory saying “look at the state of the country under Labour!” 

You're assuming they'll have a few MPs left! 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Or you can look at it that labour can't make it worse than it already is. 

Aye but that won't be an option in the game will it as the tory machine will carry out an onslaught that the thick and the cunts will buy yet again.

The game always has been and always will be loaded against lab in this country.

Gonna be dead funny watching the hypocrisy from the tory bastards and their media though.

9 hours ago, an tha said:

Aye but that won't be an option in the game will it as the tory machine will carry out an onslaught that the thick and the cunts will buy yet again.

The game always has been and always will be loaded against lab in this country.

Gonna be dead funny watching the hypocrisy from the tory bastards and their media though.

I think as we're seeing anyway, the economy to some extent will recover regardless of who's in. Global inflation is going down, which will help our inflation, which will help in lowering interest rates, put money in people's pockets and make investment from business easier. It'll be really hard to convince people labour are shit when they feel better off.