You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The GF Recipe Thread

Karl_b

You cook, I can tell. Forgive me if I'm wrong but I reckon robbief will need more specific measurements before he would even dare have a go at your suggestion

Its so long since I used a receipe I dont really know but for 2 people these are rough measurements

1 medium onion

a mug of rice not quite full to the top

the amount of mushrooms you get in one of those plastic containers from the supermarket

a pint of stock

a handful of grated parmesan

alternatively try something like this but leave out the garlic

Mushroom risotto recipe - Recipes - BBC Good Food

Go to your butchers and get some mutton.

Season it well and stud with rosemary and garlic, cook on gas mark 2 for 4-5 hours.

When this is in the oven slice a load of potatoes nice and thinly without chopping your fingers off, layer these in a large tray with onions and salt and pepper after 90 minutes pour off the juices from the mutton in to the tray of potatoes and add them to the oven.

Do the same every 45 minutes or so.

You'll feed an army a brilliant meal for less than a tenner and still be able to afford 2 litres of cheap cider out of the change to drink when you're waiting for the food.

Mushroom Rissoto Cheap????

well lets see

250g chestnut mushrooms £1

125g arborrio rice 33p

1 vegetable stock cube 10p

1 onion 19p

25g parmesan 37p

Exactly £2 to feed 2 people so yeah its cheap. Price goes up if you add wine and porcini but the basic receipe is good value.

Season it well and stud with rosemary and garlic, cook on gas mark 2 for 4-5 hours.

When this is in the oven slice a load of potatoes nice and thinly without chopping your fingers off, layer these in a large tray with onions and salt and pepper after 90 minutes pour off the juices from the mutton in to the tray of potatoes and add them to the oven.

You'll feed an army a brilliant meal for less than a tenner and still be able to afford 2 litres of cheap cider out of the change to drink when you're waiting for the food.

Again, like L19red, this sounds dead easy (and good) but for those new to the game you need to give quantities and be more precise eg how much mutton feeds how many people, do the potatoes need peeling (it doesnt matter if that's optional, you need to see this. Trust me, I have just been through all this with the klutz that is my son. Where did I go wrong? And dont answer that)

And there's no chance robbiefowler9'll be cooking on gas in uni halls....in case they blow themselves and everyone else up.

Apart from that, you're doing great!

Again, like L19red, this sounds dead easy (and good) but for those new to the game you need to give quantities and be more precise eg how much mutton feeds how many people, do the potatoes need peeling (it doesnt matter if that's optional, you need to see this. Trust me, I have just been through all this with the klutz that is my son. Where did I go wrong? And dont answer that)

And there's no chance robbiefowler9'll be cooking on gas in uni halls....in case they blow themselves and everyone else up.

Apart from that, you're doing great!

150 with a leccy oven.

Leg of mutton

4-6 sprigs of rosemary

4-6 cloves of garlic

Large bag of albert rooster spuds don't bother peeling

onions

It'll serve 6-8 easily.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up....I, for one, didnt know what ShoePiss was on about

He pissed a lot of people off but was very funny at times too. I think people started to tire of him after a while and he had a bit of a meltdown iirc.

Lots of posters thought he was an alter ego of someone already on here to start with.

well lets see

250g chestnut mushrooms £1

125g arborrio rice 33p

1 vegetable stock cube 10p

1 onion 19p

25g parmesan 37p

Exactly £2 to feed 2 people so yeah its cheap. Price goes up if you add wine and porcini but the basic receipe is good value.

Where do you shop???? Also wheres your Wine now Cheap wine kills a Rissoto.

Where do you shop???? Also wheres your Wine now Cheap wine kills a Rissoto.

Prices are from Tesco website, not that I ever shop there mind you I have an aversion to supermarkets. Prices were divided so the 500g bag of rice actually costs £1.32 but you only need a quarter of that.

As I said in the original post, wine and more exotic mushrooms are for if you want to push the boat out, not essentials.

Care to price up your chilli con carne for comparison?

I'll get you started, Tesco have 250g of beef mince for £2.19

Aborio Rice 33p last time i bought it in england was 3.20 for a very small box from the CoOp

The Wine i cook with costs atleast 8 pounds

as for stock you have to buy a box which for some good stock i recomend Knoir thats about 1.90

Parmazan 37p ???? Jeez thats cheap must be that stuff in a tub that smelle like sick

Onion i used to spend about 40p on, Seriously this guy must shop at the cheapest place on the planet. Ive a Romanian lad sat next to me amazed by these prices haha.