You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The GF Recipe Thread

Karl_b

1/2 large onion 46p

2 Cloves Garlic 24

1tbs Choped Toms 44

1 can of Red Kidney Beans 44

100ml Cola 45

50g Dark Chocolate 60

700g Beef Mince 5.00

1 Knor Beef cube 1.90

1tbs Cumin 52

1tbs Cinamon 52

1tbs Ground Coriander 52

1/2tbs Chilli powder 52

10 ml water 0

1 1 Clilli 63

1 tbs lee perins 1.19

oil tbs 1.00

14.43 enough to feed ten divide that by ten 1.43 each

I really didnt want to get involved in your 'debate' but I have to say either I'm a greedy pig or you're seriously underestimating on your portion control there, Si. My chilli recipe for 4 people would use 500g mince, a large tin of chopped tomatoes and a whole tin/carton of kidney beans

Aborio Rice 33p last time i bought it in england was 3.20 for a very small box from the CoOp

The Wine i cook with costs atleast 8 pounds

as for stock you have to buy a box which for some good stock i recomend Knoir thats about 1.90

Parmazan 37p ???? Jeez thats cheap must be that stuff in a tub that smelle like sick

Onion i used to spend about 40p on, Seriously this guy must shop at the cheapest place on the planet. Ive a Romanian lad sat next to me amazed by these prices haha.

Is there a problem pal?

If you want to go look at the Tesco website you'll see it all there.

here is the parmesan, £12.50 a kilo works out at 37p for 25g Tesco Grana Padano 200G - Groceries - Tesco Groceries

here is the rice £1.12 for 500g so 28p for 125g

Tesco Arborio Risotto Rice 500G - Groceries - Tesco Groceries

Is there a problem pal?

If you want to go look at the Tesco website you'll see it all there.

here is the parmesan, £12.50 a kilo works out at 37p for 25g Tesco Grana Padano 200G - Groceries - Tesco Groceries

here is the rice £1.12 for 500g so 28p for 125g

Tesco Arborio Risotto Rice 500G - Groceries - Tesco Groceries

Not at all mate i didnt realise you were doing it by the portion. You posted your last post before i posted the one in which your relplying to mate. I was just stunned by how cheap it all was haha. Im not here to create problems. Please dont be offended because there is none intended.

I really didnt want to get involved in your 'debate' but I have to say either I'm a greedy pig or you're seriously underestimating on your portion control there, Si. My chilli recipe for 4 people would use 500g mince, a large tin of chopped tomatoes and a whole tin/carton of kidney beans

That was for a restaurant id say normal size it would feed 7 easily.

Guest ShoePiss
1/2 large onion 46p

2 Cloves Garlic 24

1tbs Choped Toms 44

1 can of Red Kidney Beans 44

100ml Cola 45

50g Dark Chocolate 60

700g Beef Mince 5.00

1 Knor Beef cube 1.90

1tbs Cumin 52

1tbs Cinamon 52

1tbs Ground Coriander 52

1/2tbs Chilli powder 52

10 ml water 0

1 1 Clilli 63

1 tbs lee perins 1.19

oil tbs 1.00

14.43 enough to feed ten divide that by ten 1.43 each

I think your chopped toms to spice ratio is off a bit Si! Haha

• 2 months later...

Just done this for tea:

Butternut Squash and Spinach curry

You will need:-

450 g Butternut Squash peeled and diced

150 g fresh spinach leaves

200 g canned tomatoes chopped

1/2 tsp tomato puree

1 medium onion finely chopped

2-3 cloves garlic minced

1 tbsp olive oil

1/2 tsp whole cumin seeds

1/2 tsp ginger minced

1 tsp red chilli powder

1/2 tsp ground turmeric

1/4 tsp garam masala

1 tsp ground cumin and coriander seeds

salt to taste

Method:-

In a heavy bottom pan heat oil, fry the onion till softened.

Add garlic and cumin seeds fry till cumin changes into brown colour.

Add ginger and turmeric powder , red chilli powder, garam masala and ground cumin and coriander powder.

Fry the masala few seconds, add chopped tomatoes and tomato puree, season with salt.

Now add butternut squash and 150 ml water. Mix well.

Cover with lid and simmer gently for about 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add little water if necessary.

Stir in the spinach shortly before serving the curry. Adjust the seasoning and serve with Roti, Naan or Paratha.

Fantastic and super easy. Great website that loads on for curry heads and vegetarians

I want to make some warm beetroot and feta salad,but I'm after freezing some for quick meals after work.Anyone got any ideas on the best way to do it?.

I have bought it frozen before but would rather do my own.

I'm think if just par boiling the beetroot and adding any nuts/seeds etc

Not sure wether to add the feta then and pack it up for freezing or wether to leave it out and add it in before roasting

• 1 month later...

Quick chicken idea:

Chop up a couple of chicken breasts into biggish chunks.

Make some breadcrumbs with a blender, mix with lots of chilli flakes and paprika.

Coat chicken in flour, then egg, then the breadcrumb mixture.

Spray the chunks with fry-light and cook them in the oven at a temperature of some degrees for some minutes.

Serve with sweet potato fries and dip them in reggae reggae sauce or something similar.

Healthy, tasty as fuck and dead easy.

Guest ShoePiss
Sounds nice that Redders.

Anyone have any suggestions for healthy packed lunches for me?

I am trying to cut down on the bread I eat so no sandwiches. I've been doing couscous with some salad stuff in a fair bit which has been nice but getting a bit samey.

Could use tortillas to make wraps instead of butties?

Sounds nice that Redders.

Anyone have any suggestions for healthy packed lunches for me?

I am trying to cut down on the bread I eat so no sandwiches. I've been doing couscous with some salad stuff in a fair bit which has been nice but getting a bit samey.

Try chicken breasts, marinated in whatever spices & citrus you fancy, roll bacon round them with the fat chopped off the bacon, perfect for cooking on your George Foreman if you have one. Cool in the fridge then shred into bits, have with salad. Have a go on some quinoa instead of couscous. I much prefer it and you can season & flavour it with a bit of stock or whatever whilst you cook it.

Whats Quinoa ive yet to hear of it.

It's pronounced 'keenwa' so you might have heard of it.

Its a seed.

I've eaten it before though I've never made it myself. I thought it was a bit like cous-cous but slightly crunchier. That might be down to how it was made though.

• 1 month later...

This was my tea and it was fucking wonderful considering it was a left-over-in-veg-tray dish.

2 x chicken legs (or 4 drumsticks etc)

5 x new potatos

2 x carrots

1 x parsnip

2 x whole beetroots (not pickled)

10 x whole mushrooms

6 x cloves of Smoked Garlic (normal if you've got none smoked, but if you have none, why not?)

Smoked Paprika

Rosemary

Oregano

Sprinkle the Chicken skin with oregano and smoked paprika, salt and pepper, put to one side. Half the spuds, cut the carrot and parsnip into similar sized pieces and par-boil them for 5 minutes.

Whilst they are in the pan get a deep oven tray and spray with oil, put your garlic cloves in, do not peel them, just put them in, add the mushrooms cap down. Quarter your beetroot and put them in as well. Drain the veg, add to tray, spray with oil add some rosemary, more paprika and salt, mix well with spatulas then put the chicken legs on top of the lot.

Cover with foil and put into middle of pre heated oven gas mark 6 for 25 minutes. Take out, mix veg up and remove tin foil, do for another 20 minutes or until chicken is done.

Put everything onto plates and add tiny bit of boiling kettle water to the tray to get all the oils and juices out and pour over the veg bit. Enjoy with a beer

Made a Beautifull sauce the other day id definately recommend this

90g Butter 90g Flour 90ml milk

3 Bronoise Bacon slices

Half a parsnip Brunoise

half a Onion Brunoise

1 TBS Roast Lamb Juice

3 Cloves of garlic

In one pan melt a knob of butter and Sweat your Onions, Parsnip and Garlic then cook your Bacon to real crisp texture then add your milk bring to the boil then let cool down, In the other pan make a Roux, (Melt the 90g butter, dont let it colour. Add the 90g Flour to the pan. Now im not one for cheating but through time its becom custopm with a bechamel sauce. whisk the Roux with a Plastic whisk thats cheating but never mind you want to cook the flour out for about 5 mins continuously whisking or it wont be very nice. when it is cooked out add the milk that you have from the pan bit by bit. Use a Sieve. and Whist till smoth creamy texture if to thick add more. Then add Lamb juice bit by bit to taste then Transfer to a blender add the remains of both Pans and Blitz Season to taste.

This goes lovely with yes you guessed it Lamb.

Made a Beautifull sauce the other day id definately recommend this

90g Butter 90g Flour 90ml milk

3 Bronoise Bacon slices

Half a parsnip Brunoise

half a Onion Brunoise

1 TBS Roast Lamb Juice

3 Cloves of garlic

In one pan melt a knob of butter and Sweat your Onions, Parsnip and Garlic then cook your Bacon to real crisp texture then add your milk bring to the boil then let cool down, In the other pan make a Roux, (Melt the 90g butter, dont let it colour. Add the 90g Flour to the pan. Now im not one for cheating but through time its becom custopm with a bechamel sauce. whisk the Roux with a Plastic whisk thats cheating but never mind you want to cook the flour out for about 5 mins continuously whisking or it wont be very nice. when it is cooked out add the milk that you have from the pan bit by bit. Use a Sieve. and Whist till smoth creamy texture if to thick add more. Then add Lamb juice bit by bit to taste then Transfer to a blender add the remains of both Pans and Blitz Season to taste.

This goes lovely with yes you guessed it Lamb.

That must be the thickest most cloying sauce in the world.....well second to my nans gravy but there wouldn't be much in it.

Oh and you know if you're writing a recipe that 'brunoise' isn't an ingredient so their's no such thing as brunoise Bacon, Parsnip or Onion. That and it's a completely pointless exercise if you're going to blend everything.