You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The GF Recipe Thread

Karl_b

Tomorrow I plan on using my slow cooker to make something tasty for my tea and a few of the weeks meals.

I have at my desposal

500g of diced beef

Potatoes

Carrots

Celery

Onions

Chick peas

Pulses (various)

Pearl barley

A large selection of herbs, spices and stocks.

I'm throwing myself open here guys, tell me what I should be cooking tomorrow. Bear in mind it has to be something I can put in my slow cooker and forget about for 8 hours. Nothing that requires stirring or any maintenance.

Tastiest looking suggestion will be cooked with photos of the end product.

beef

a piece of smoked bacon

6 bay leafs

half a bunch of tyme

4 cans of guinness

vegi oil

Carriots

2 onions

Garlic

flour

Stock

Beef in Guiness

Get your beef a large Container of smoked bacon bayleafs thyme and Guinness cover and put in the fridge for as long as you can.

Then drain your beef on some kitchen paper remove the bacon the bay leaves and thyme for later. Then put the guinness into a pan and bring to boil skim the foam. then pass it through a sive. Heat vegetable oil in a large caserole dish add carrots and onions garlic thyme and bayleafs. Add your smoked bacon. carmelise all of this. then drain your veg next coat your beef in flour and season. seal it in the same pan with oil. then drain it of so all you oil is gone then put your veg on top of your meat. cook on a high heat reduce your guinness by half add some stock reboil then skim the foam again. then cover and braise for about 3 hours.

Pretty much what I posted on here about 2 days ago Simon but I'll let you off as it's so tasty.

Really sorry I was thinking about adding a watercress Gnocci with it. But he dont want to fuck about to much.

Just looked its nothing like haha.

My apologies Simon, considering my 30 years of cooking pales into insignificance to your three months of working in a kitchen I'll bow to your cullinary superiority.

Haha im not saying that. Im just saying i must of been looking at the wrong recipie cos the one i looked at wasnt the same.

Ok, so I've just put her on the go. Although I didn't use any of the ideas posted (mainly because the shops weren't open so I couldn't get any guiness/beer in) I appreciate the effort and will still post before and after pics. I almost considered throwing some cider which I have into the crock pot but it didn't sit right with beef IMO. But here's what did go in:

2 large baking potatos roughly cubed

2 large carrots, sliced

2 onions, roughly chopped

500g of diced beef (This was Sainsburys "basics" and was from cuts of meat supposedly ideal for slow cooking, I've used it before and it's always come out top bollocks)

1 + 1/3 pints of stock. 3 parts beef, 1 part lamb

4 cloves of garlic

A fair few basil leaves chopped

Oregano (just throw some in)

Mixed herbs (likewise)

Generous amount of Red and Black pepper (because it's just so right with Beef)

Handfull of pearl barely because I love it

This is the bad boy just before I put the lid on

IMAG0058.jpg

*edit* The slow cooking pot looks a bit grubby because there was some splashing, it is clean

Ok, so I've just put her on the go. Although I didn't use any of the ideas posted (mainly because the shops weren't open so I couldn't get any guiness/beer in) I appreciate the effort and will still post before and after pics. I almost considered throwing some cider which I have into the crock pot but it didn't sit right with beef IMO. But here's what did go in:

2 large baking potatos roughly cubed

2 large carrots, sliced

2 onions, roughly chopped

500g of diced beef (This was Sainsburys "basics" and was from cuts of meat supposedly ideal for slow cooking, I've used it before and it's always come out top bollocks)

1 + 1/3 pints of stock. 3 parts beef, 1 part lamb

4 cloves of garlic

A fair few basil leaves chopped

Oregano (just throw some in)

Mixed herbs (likewise)

Generous amount of Red and Black pepper (because it's just so right with Beef)

Handfull of pearl barely because I love it

This is the bad boy just before I put the lid on

IMAG0058.jpg

*edit* The slow cooking pot looks a bit grubby because there was some splashing, it is clean

Looks good.

Chorizo burgers

200g chorizo, minced

200g minced pork

400g minced beef

1 medium onion, finely chopped

1 teaspoon of salt

1 teaspoon of chopped garlic

1/4 teaspoon of cumin

Mix the lot together in a big bowl, adding an egg to bind it together. roll into balls and then flatten out to make burgers. Grill about ten-fifteen minutes each side.

You'll get a few decent sized burgers from this amount.

Serve with the usual burger sundries.

Fuck MacD's.

Chorizo burgers

200g chorizo, minced

200g minced pork

400g minced beef

1 medium onion, finely chopped

1 teaspoon of salt

1 teaspoon of chopped garlic

1/4 teaspoon of cumin

Mix the lot together in a big bowl, adding an egg to bind it together. roll into balls and then flatten out to make burgers. Grill about ten-fifteen minutes each side.

You'll get a few decent sized burgers from this amount.

Serve with the usual burger sundries.

Fuck MacD's.

Iron Chef Bobby Flay?

beef

a piece of smoked bacon

6 bay leafs

half a bunch of tyme

4 cans of guinness

vegi oil

Carriots

2 onions

Garlic

flour

Stock

Beef in Guiness

Get your beef a large Container of smoked bacon bayleafs thyme and Guinness cover and put in the fridge for as long as you can.

Then drain your beef on some kitchen paper remove the bacon the bay leaves and thyme for later. Then put the guinness into a pan and bring to boil skim the foam. then pass it through a sive. Heat vegetable oil in a large caserole dish add carrots and onions garlic thyme and bayleafs. Add your smoked bacon. carmelise all of this. then drain your veg next coat your beef in flour and season. seal it in the same pan with oil. then drain it of so all you oil is gone then put your veg on top of your meat. cook on a high heat reduce your guinness by half add some stock reboil then skim the foam again. then cover and braise for about 3 hours.

My mum saw this and has said im cooking it next week haha she buying stuff so ill take photos and stuff aswell.

My mum saw this and has said im cooking it next week haha she buying stuff so ill take photos and stuff aswell.

Your mum reads the GF? And you wonder why she's funny with you?

Paulie, that looks awesome. Have you thought about having some bread with your butter next time?

Paulie, that looks awesome. Have you thought about having some bread with your butter next time?

No she saw me on the thread when i was typing it.

Haha I was half cut after an afternoon in the boozer on an empty stomach when I served this. Frankly I'm amazed I got round to cutting and buttering the bread and didn't just fashion it into some sort of spoon to eat it with.

Anyone got a good recipe for falafels? I love those bad boys but having tried a few recipes haven't found one as good as ones I had in a little fast food place in Paris last year. Always find the recipe to be a little dry and not quite spicy enough, even with my own tweaking.

• 3 weeks later...

Saw this on Nigella on Saturday morning. By Sunday afternoon it was in my stomach:

Some chicken thighs, skin on

A generous handful of cooking chorizo sausages

Halved new potatoes

Coursely chopped red onion

Oregano

Orange zest (grated over the chicken)

Olive oil

Maybe chuck in some crushed garlic cloves, possibly a few chille flakes.

Chuck the lot in a shallow baking tray, pack it full of the ingredients and chuck in the oven on 200 degrees for an hour. Serve with a salad or some crusty bread or whatever you want. So simple it's ridiculous and amazingly tasty.

Saw this on Nigella on Saturday morning. By Sunday afternoon it was in my stomach:

Halved new potatoes

Oregano

Olive oil

Chuck the lot in a shallow baking tray, pack it full of the ingredients and chuck in the oven on 200 degrees for an hour. Serve with a salad or some crusty bread or whatever you want. So simple it's ridiculous and amazingly tasty.

That looks ace and really simple. I love "chuck it in and let it cook" recipes

I made a nice spicy sausage casserole before:

6 Sausages (I used sainsburys sicilian inspired bad boys)

2 cloves garlic

2 large red onions

1 large red pepper

1 carrot (I had knocking around)

1 tin chopped toms

1 tsp chilli flakes (or to taste)

1 tsp paprika

2 beef oxo

Softened the onions (I used really big ones because i love onion) with the garlic and paprika whilst grilling and sealing your sausages. Cut each sausage into thirds (or however you want to do it) and throw in with the thinly sliced carrot and roughly diced red pepper. Cook for 5 minutes with a lid on. Add toms, boiling water (equivalent amount) crumble in oxo cubes, add chilli and stir.

Simmered for about 45 minutes. I was going to have this with cheesey mash but I had no cheese left which sucked so I had action-man-bow-tie pasta instead with it. Delicious

• 3 weeks later...

Tonight I had Salmon fillet smeared liberally with basil pesto and a couple of sliced cherry toms on top. Salt and pepper, olive oil, wrapped in foil and bunged in the oven for 15 minutes.

Puy (dark green) lentils, washed and cooked for 30 mins then add to sautéed garlic and leeks, heat up with a passata (sp).

Serve salmon on the bed of lentils and scoff.

Halved new potatoes

Oregano

Olive oil

Has anyone tried this yet? Had it again tonight with garlic ciabatta and a salad. Spectacularly good and plenty left for an encore tomorrow.