You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The GF Recipe Thread

Karl_b

No-one's posted for a while so...

Made this today in the slow cooker

Lamb Shoulder diced (Not sure exactly how much but worked out at £3s worth when done by the butcher)

3 large potatoes cubes

2 large carrots sliced

1 onion diced

3 handfulls of pearl barley

600ml lamb stock

Red wine (I used 1/2 a 18cl bottle but you could use more or less if you wanted)

1 tsp turmeric

2 tsp ground cumin

Black pepper

Prepare ingredients. Brown lamb in a large frying pan and place in bottom of the slow cooker pot. Put onions in the same pan and soften. Put onions on top of meat in the pot. Pour wine into pan and deglaze pan using wooden spatula, pour over meat and onions

Add rest of ingredients and stir to make sure spices are mixed

Slow cook for 5 hours to make a lovely stew. The pearl barley really helps produce a thick sauce that you can stand a spoon in. Serve with crusty bread and butter

And again the Paulie Dangerously cooking thread continues

Made a nice pasta bake before, simple but tasty and I will now share it with you as this is know as PB3. PB1 and 2 being not as tasty

Paulie D's PB3

2 Cloves of garlic crushed

1 large onion diced

1 large courgette diced

1 tin Chic Peas

1 tin Kidney beans

1 tin chopped tomatos

1 tbsp powdered cumin

1 tsp cayenne pepper

Few leaves of fresh basil, chopped

As much pasta as you want (relative to your prefered sauce/pasta ratio)

2 x stock cubes (I used chicken oxo)

1 pack of pre grated mozzarella

Naturally heat some oil in a large pan and put your onions and garlic in, soften onions then add your cumin and cayenne pepper and basil leaves. Add a touch of water until it is a paste like consistency (as if you were making a curry from base ingredients) Cook for 5 minutes then add the chic peas, kidney beans and courgette. Stir and cook for a further 5 minutes. Add tin of tomatos, and equal amount of water (measuring from the can) and crumble in stock cubes, season with generous amount of ground pepper. Stir well and cook for 30 minutes. Dependent on how thick you want your sauce you could add lentils or pear barley etc

When your mix is nearly ready cook pasta in separate pan, drain and spread evenly in a large Pyrex dish (or equivalent thereof). Spoon the mixture over pasta evenly, shake to ensure the liquid is distributed well. Sprinkle your cheese over the top of the mixture and stick in the middle of a oven on gas mark 6 for 25 minutes or until cheese is melted and turning brown

Remove, cut into squares and serve hot or cold, tis delicious and relatively healthy dependent on the amount of cheese used

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Tell you now, that's getting made.

Made it, loved it.

I now need a recipe for something a bit fancy, but not pompous or using ridiculous ingredients. Any ideas?

• 1 month later...

No-one cooks anymore.

Just done a little slow cooking which I'll be eating later. Haven't done this recipe before but don't think it can go wrong really

3 pork steaks diced

1 200g chorizo ring, sliced

2 red onions finely diced

6 cloves of garlic, crushed

2 mild red chillis, seeds in, sliced

Tin of chic peas

2 large potatos cubed

1 carrot, grated

2 tins of chopped tomatos

Chicken stock

Garlic, Onions and chili in the pan with a little oil. Sweat em out a bit, put in slow cooker

Brown pork and chorizo in same pan. In the slow cooker

Deglaze pan with bit of chicken stock...slow cooker with potatos and carrots

Tell you what it's like later

Yesterday I was watching Man vs Food and then decided to make breakfast but after watching that guy wolf down a sandwich bigger than my head I couldn't just have a modest few pieces of toast so I made 4 pieces of toast and buttered them like normal. Put cheese slices on one, egg mayo on another and then ham on another and then stacked them on top of each other and then put the remaining slice on toast on top. It was quality eating to say the least.

As you all know i have been working at the Church Green

Well i have came up with a dish and need opinions before i show it aiden i showed his bro and his said i have to make it.

Salmon, Vodka and Beetroot Jelly, Parmazan Tuille and Butter bean Frichasse

Basicly im thinking of doing the Salmon in a liquor and Cork bullion poached. His brother suggested id grill it to stop the scum that appears on the salmon. I really think when grilling salmon though its too fishy but he knows best so ill do what he says.

Now the vodka Jelly i was going to burn the alcohol out. But i think the sharpness of it would complement and balence everything out now again he sugested i add beetroot to it but i can help thinking a split would look and taste better.

Now the Tuille i thought of doing the old egg whites method. And just break in to little pieces i know Parmazan is a very distinct and strong flavour the reason im doing egg whites is to hide that sickly smell.

Now the Butter bean and thyme Fricasse i was thinking of white wine reduced with bayleafs, peppercorns and cream reduced till thick sauce then adding the butter beans with thyme leaves. I cant help thinking the simple method may taste better may just butter bean and thyme purree

Opinions please?

No-one cooks anymore.

Just done a little slow cooking which I'll be eating later. Haven't done this recipe before but don't think it can go wrong really

3 pork steaks diced

1 200g chorizo ring, sliced

2 red onions finely diced

6 cloves of garlic, crushed

2 mild red chillis, seeds in, sliced

Tin of chic peas

2 large potatos cubed

1 carrot, grated

2 tins of chopped tomatos

Chicken stock

Garlic, Onions and chili in the pan with a little oil. Sweat em out a bit, put in slow cooker

Brown pork and chorizo in same pan. In the slow cooker

Deglaze pan with bit of chicken stock...slow cooker with potatos and carrots

Tell you what it's like later

It was shit hot

Guest The Big Green Bastard

Here you go Remmie.

Peppers with a tangy feta stuffing Peppers with a tangy feta stuffing

100 g bulgur wheat

2 red peppers, or substitute yellow or orange ones

150 g feta cheese, crumbled

3 handfuls mixed herbs, chopped

2 cm ginger, finely grated

1 tbsp lemon juice

2 tbsp olive oil

freshly ground black pepper

Method

1. Place the bulghar wheat in a bowl and pour enough boiling water over to cover. Leave to swell for 30 minutes.

2. Cut the peppers in half from stem to base. Use a small paring knife, cut away the seeds and membranes, leaving the stems intact. Preheat a grill.

3. Mix the remaining ingredients together. Drain the soaked bulghar and incorporate into the stuffing. Season to taste and pile the mixture into the pepper halves.

4. Cook on a hot barbecue or under a grill, until the peppers are blackened and the stuffing is warmed through.

Dolma (stuffed peppers)

1 tbsp vegetable oil

1 onion, finely chopped

1 clove garlic, finely chopped

250 g minced lamb

half tsp ground turmeric

half tsp ground cinnamon

black pepper

3 tomatoes, skinned and diced

100g cooked basmati rice

4 tbsp tomato purée

4 tbsp finely chopped parsley

6 peppers, (red or green)

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4. Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Fry the onion and garlic for 5 minutes until softened and fragrant.

2. Add the meat, mixing well. Sprinkle over the turmeric and cinnamon. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper. Mix well and fry until the meat is browned on all sides.

3. Mix in the diced tomatoes, cooked rice, tomato puree and parsley. Cook for a further 2-3 minutes, then set aside.

4. Slice the top off each of the peppers and reserve them for use as lids. De-seed each pepper. Stuff each pepper with the mince mixture. Top each pepper with a reserved pepper lid.

5. Place the peppers in a baking tray. Pour over 300ml of hot water.

6. Bake the peppers in the oven for 1 hour until tender, basting now and then. Serve warm from the oven.

Was just about to post asking for good slow cooker stew recipes, and I saw Paulie's recipes. Someone rep the man.

Done. They look superb, specially the lamb one. Gonna get me one of those slow cooker things. I'm happy to eat the same thing most nights during the week, long as it's tasty, so usually rattle up a bol or a chille or a curry. Stews are the future with winter heading this way.

Guest ShoePiss

I'm in the slow cooker club too, as well as stews try doing meat in there also. I've had great results doing pork shoulder for Carnitas.

This is a great blog, a woman went an entire year using her slow cooker for every meal and blogged all the recipes. She's pretty honest about how they turn out and every one I've picked has resulted in good things.

A Year of Slow Cooking

Was just about to post asking for good slow cooker stew recipes, and I saw Paulie's recipes. Someone rep the man.

Done. They look superb, specially the lamb one. Gonna get me one of those slow cooker things. I'm happy to eat the same thing most nights during the week, long as it's tasty, so usually rattle up a bol or a chille or a curry. Stews are the future with winter heading this way.

Thank you very much. The lamb one was something I got online, I forget where. Theres a good site Here which has got a lot of recipes on, it takes some trawling but you get such variety.

I got my slow cooker about 2 years ago and use it about once a fortnight, usually on a sunday so i can get up and get the fucker going. Mine cost £25 and has a 4.5 litre capacity.

What Lurtz suggested is the best thing to do. Make something tasty and batch it up in the freezer. We have microwaves in work so if I don't fancy butties then just grab a box/bag in the morning and come lunch time I have a delicious hot dinner.

I think cooking is theraputic at the best of times but theres nothing like coming back from the pub on a sunday, or from work to the house smelling amazing and knowing that you have a delicious 7+ hour cooked meal waiting for you in the kitchen. It's top bollocks

I'm in the slow cooker club too, as well as stews try doing meat in there also. I've had great results doing pork shoulder for Carnitas.

This is a great blog, a woman went an entire year using her slow cooker for every meal and blogged all the recipes. She's pretty honest about how they turn out and every one I've picked has resulted in good things.

A Year of Slow Cooking

Good site that, will add it to my favs. Have a rep sir

I've never been much for cakes but recently made Sicilian Orange Cake

IMG_3615.JPG

that evening I got a blow job.

Now you may think these events unrelated or that I'm just using it as an excuse to boast about having got a blow job but can you really afford to take the chance? If you dont get lucky you'll still have a great cake.

Ingredients for the Cake

250g lightly salted butter, at room temperature, plus extra for greasing

250g caster sugar

4 medium eggs

1½ teaspoons finely grated orange zest

250g self-raising flour

85ml freshly squeezed orange juice

Ingredients for the icing

125g icing sugar

5 teaspoons freshly squeezed orange juice

Preheat the oven to 170C/gas mark 3. Grease and line a 22cm clip-sided round cake tin with non-stick baking paper.

Using an electric whisk, cream the butter and sugar together for 4-5 minutes until very pale. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each one, if necessary adding a spoonful of flour with the last egg to prevent the mixture from curdling. Beat in the orange zest. Add the flour all at once and mix in well, then slowly mix in the orange juice. Spoon the mixture into the tin and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 50-60minutes or until a skewer, inserted into the centre of the cake, comes out clean. If it starts to brown too quickly, cover loosely with a sheet of lightly buttered foil.

Leave the cake, in its tin, to cool on a wire rack, then carefully remove the sides and base of the tin and peel off the paper. Put it onto a serving plate.

Sift the icing sugar into a bowl and stir in the orange juice until you have a spreadable consistency. Spread it over the top of the cake, letting it drip down the sides, and leave to set. Serve cut into slices.

Do you think you're in the "haven't re-examined my childhood food dislikes" phase of your culinary life? It seems to be quite strong flavours that you're not into. How about olives - do you like them?

I'm definitely in that stage, I have the same dislikes (peppers, mushrooms, blue cheese) as my mum and as she did the shopping we never had the stuff in so I never ate it and when I did I dislike it.

I don't actually mind olives when cooked or in something, not a big fan of just eating them really.

Interesting reading through this thread again for some ideas.

I went to Italy in 2008 and had a nibble of a few olives. Then a few more. 2 years later I can't get enough of them!

I also really like mushrooms and blue cheese now, although I still don't really like peppers all that much and hate celery. My childhood dislikes are definitely waning.

I fucking love food me. Since moving in with the missus I've really taken to cooking again after going through a period of not being so bothered; I take responsibility for most of the cooking and find it really satisfying doing it for the two of us instead of just for myself.

A really simple but tasty recipe:

Chop 900g of medium sized tomatoes in half (we had a nice mix of some shop bought ones and a variety of smaller ones from the father-not-in-law's garden), place them in an oven proof dish and season them with plenty of salt and pepper and throw in some chopped basil and garlic (micro-grated, kudos to Paul for that tip).

Cook that for about 40 minutes until the tomato skins start to brown a little.

Make 4 holes in the tomatoes and crack an egg into each.

Cook until the eggs are to your preference and serve on top of a toasted, buttered ciabatta.

Delicious as a main meal but equally as good as breakfast/brunch and also good cold as lunch at work the next day!

Made these last Sunday for breakfast - one of the tastiest things I've had in a long time.

Cheese, Tomato and Basil Muffins

Makes - 8

Prep - 10 mins

Cooking - 20 mins

Ingredients

Spray oil

150g SR flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

100g cornflour

65g grated cheddar cheese

50g, drained sundried tomatoes in oil, chopped

2 tablespoons of chopped basil

1 egg, lightly beaten

300ml milk

2 tablespoons olive oil

Method

Oil 8 muffin tin holes with the spray oil, pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees.

Sift the flour and salt into a bowl and stir in the cornflour, 50g of the cheese, the tomatoes and the basil. Make a well in the centre.

Beat the egg, milk and olive oil in a separate bowl and then mix into the dry ingredients. Not too well though, the mixture should still be slightly lumpy.

Divide the mixture between the muffin holes and sprinkle over the remaining cheese. Cook for 20 minutes (or until golden) and then cool for 5 minutes.

Serve the muffins still warm with some butter and they're absolutely delicious. We had some left over and had them cold the next day and they weren't as tasty.

• 2 weeks later...

Lurtzy's Autumn Roast Beef Stew

Have a roast beef dinner on a Sunday but save around 1lb of the joint without carving it.

Chop up the beef into bite sized chunks

Peel and chop a couple of carrots

Soften some chopped onions and a chopped clove of garlic in a large saucepan

Add the beef

Throw in the carrots and a handful of button mushrooms

Throw a 500ml bottle of guinness into that fucker

Add whatever herbs you fancy - a bit of tarragon goes really well with the richness of the stout

Add a couple of bayleaves

Add some good beef stock (or an oxo cube will just about do it)

Bring to the boil, put the lid on and gently simmer the shitting fuck out of it for a good couple of hours. The beef will first go into hard chunks and gradually soften up so it melts in the mouth. Taste for seasoning (may need as little salt) and thicken with cornflour if necessary.

Serve that over a baked potato or with whatever veg you like and mop up the gravy with some crusty bread. It's cheap to make and as tasty as a fucking tasty thing.

Fuck yeah.

We're making the effort to try something different with fish every Friday, based on what's on offer or what we've never had before. Picked up a monkfish tail for last night and served it with a Chinese noodle broth. It was really tasty and took less than 15 minutes (minus time for the fish to sit in the fridge) to make.

Remove the cartilage/bone from the monkfish and roll it in plenty of black pepper and salt, place in the fridge and leave for as long as you like but an hour or so was about right.

I didn't follow any recipe for the broth, it's all down to personal taste but I went with this:

• Cook 1 finely chopped shallot (would have used spring onion if we'd had some in) and 2 cloves of garlic in a little olive oil for about 5 minutes.

• Add 1 pint of chicken stock.

• Add soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and Chinese 5 spice to taste, bring the liquid to the boil then reduce the heat.

• Add 1 small tin of sweetcorn and the same amount of frozen peas and simmer for about 3 minutes.

• Add some dried noodles, savoy cabbage and chopped mushrooms and cook for a few more minutes.

• Finally I added some carrot ribbons before serving for extra crunch (plus the missus doesn't like cooked carrots)

• Whilst that's cooking I cut the monkfish into medallions (about 2cm) thick and fried them in oil for about 90 seconds on each side before serving that on top of the broth.

The best curry ever. Not just the best home made curry, but the best curry ever.

Seriously. make it. thank me later.

Ingredients

3 tbsp sunflower or corn oil

1 cinnamon stick

3 cardamom pods

2 cloves

5 black peppercorns

1 medium-large onion, peeled and roughly chopped

400g can chopped tomatoes

1/2 tsp dried red chilli flakes

1 tsp ground cumin

3 tsp ground coriander

¼ tsp ground turmeric

3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed

7.5cm chunk fresh root ginger, peeled and grated

3 fat green chillies

900g boneless chicken thigh and leg meat, cut into chunky pieces

Fine sea salt

Small bunch fresh coriander, finely chopped

1. Heat the oil in a large, deep frying pan or sauté pan and add the cinnamon, cardamom pods, cloves and peppercorns. Cook over a low heat for a minute or two then add the onion and increase the heat a little. Fry until almost golden, stirring regularly.

2. Stir in the chopped tomatoes, dried chillies, cumin, coriander, turmeric, garlic, ginger and whole green chillies. Cook over a medium heat for a 3-4 minutes, stirring. Season with salt.

3. Add the chicken pieces and cook for 2-3 minutes, turning until the chicken is well coated in the sauce. Stir in 50ml water, cover with a lid and leave to simmer gently over a low heat for about 15 minutes or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked, stirring occasionally.

4. Take off the lid and increase the heat. Simmer the sauce for a few minutes more, stirring constantly until thick. Remove from the heat, scatter with fresh coriander and serve.

Haven't made a curry in ages, just stuck this on the list for next week Tomarse, will report back and sue if it's not the best curry ever.