You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• 4 weeks later...

Capitalist Realism - Mark Fisher

We're absolutely fucked. No wonder the author committed suicide last year. The English-speaking world's version of capitalism might be the most anti-human system ever created/followed.

I preferred it when you wrote poems.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve just re-read World War Z and The Zombie Survival Guide, both by Max Brooks. The latter is very entertaining but WWZ is absolutely brilliant. That’s at least three times I’ve read it now and it’s still great.

I’m now re-reading The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman as my son has just finished it and I’ve not read it in years so I want to refresh my memory so we can chat about it. Then I’m going to re-read La Belle Sauvage, which he’s gone straight on to.

I’ve just re-read World War Z and The Zombie Survival Guide, both by Max Brooks. The latter is very entertaining but WWZ is absolutely brilliant. That’s at least three times I’ve read it now and it’s still great.

I’m now re-reading The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman as my son has just finished it and I’ve not read it in years so I want to refresh my memory so we can chat about it. Then I’m going to re-read La Belle Sauvage, which he’s gone straight on to.

What's so good about WWZ, Paul? I heard the film was shit so didn't bother.

What's so good about WWZ, Paul? I heard the film was shit so didn't bother.

The film isn’t shit, but it’s nowhere near as good as the book and actually very, very different too.

The book is written like non-fiction with a journalist charting the whole course of WWZ (the global zombie pandemic which almost wiped out the entire species) by interviewing key players from all across the globe whose experiences tell the story of what happened.

To hear it so described probably makes it seem daft and contrived, but it reads very straight and feels incredibly believable. It’s a great book in my view. Right up there with the best I’ve read. It’s a genuine page-turner too.

• Upvote 1

I've got to read 10+ books for key stage 2 kids (8-11 years) for Uni

Can anyone with kids about this age recommend anything they're reading at the minute please?

My 8 year old nephew has been reading Shakespeare at school. I think the versions are in more day-to-day English so getting hold of a couple of his plays is a good place to start.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Re-read The Amber Spyglass and La Belle Sauvage by Philip Pullman. Both ace.

Now re-reading the Kenzie and Gennaro novels by Dennis Lehane. They’re all ace but Darkness Take My Hand especially so.

• Upvote 1

Are those adult books, Paul? I always swerved them because I assumed they were for kids. Harry Potter type stuff. What’s the deal.

Now re-reading the Kenzie and Gennaro novels by Dennis Lehane. They’re all ace but Darkness Take My Hand especially so.

I’ll have a look. Anything dark takes my fancy.

Are the Lehane books any good? Had them for ages just never got round to reading them. Just finished the Harry Dresden series which I thought was great. So thanks to whoever recommended them on here.

Are the Lehane books any good? Had them for ages just never got round to reading them. Just finished the Harry Dresden series which I thought was great. So thanks to whoever recommended them on here.

They’re fantastic (the K & G ones; I’m not as fussed by his period books).

Are those adult books, Paul? I always swerved them because I assumed they were for kids. Harry Potter type stuff. What’s the deal.

I’ll have a look. Anything dark takes my fancy.

Far less aimed at kids than Potter (which I’m not a fan of). They are universal stories that feature kids as main characters rather than kids books. The Amber Spyglass won The Whitbread Prize!

They are the best books I’ve ever read. That’s not a nostalgic thing either as I was in my 20s when it was first published.

The first one, Northern Lights, just drops you into this new world without any explanation and then a huge quest/journey narrative begins. The books are fucking amazing individually, but as a whole, they're mind-blowingly good.

• Upvote 1

Far less aimed at kids than Potter (which I’m not a fan of). They are universal stories that feature kids as main characters rather than kids books. The Amber Spyglass won The Whitbread Prize!

They are the best books I’ve ever read. That’s not a nostalgic thing either as I was in my 20s when it was first published.

The first one, Northern Lights, just drops you into this new world without any explanation and then a huge quest/journey narrative begins. The books are fucking amazing individually, but as a whole, they're mind-blowingly good.

His Dark Materials trilogy, right? I’ve finished up my stack, so been looking for something new.

Did you ever get around to We are Legion?