You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Random examples of why "the country is going to the dogs"

Michael Howard

Raised kerbs at bus stops.

What a bloody waste of money - relaying the kerbs and flags at every bus stop by a few inches to (presumably) make it just a bit esier for wheelchairs and prams.

I can think of more pressing areas where that money could be spent. The country is clearly going to the dogs.

What else?

What a bloody waste of money - relaying the kerbs and flags at every bus stop by a few inches to (presumably) make it just a bit esier for wheelchairs and prams.

I can think of more pressing areas where that money could be spent. The country is clearly going to the dogs.

What else?

Community Wardens, they look like coppers but they've got the same powers as me. 15k a year they're on, why not bump it up to 18 and employ a real copper and give him a machine gun, that'll sort the crime wave out!

Community Wardens, they look like coppers but they've got the same powers as me. 15k a year they're on, why not bump it up to 18 and employ a real copper and give him a machine gun, that'll sort the crime wave out!

Agreed (with the key point). Why not ditch the 10,000 (say) Community Officers and hire 5,000 bobbies? It's basically a fucking cheap-skate way of the government addressing the public desire for bobbies on the beat without actually bothering to recruit and train the right people. A well trained and motivated beat copper can be a powerful force for good in communities like the one I teach in. However, the crucial communication and people skills required take training and experience in professional people, not some well-intentioned ex-(insert random unskilled job title).

Agreed (with the key point). Why not ditch the 10,000 (say) Community Officers and hire 5,000 bobbies? It's basically a fucking cheap-skate way of the government addressing the public desire for bobbies on the beat without actually bothering to recruit and train the right people. A well trained and motivated beat copper can be a powerful force for good in communities like the one I teach in. However, the crucial communication and people skills required take training and experience in professional people, not some well-intentioned ex-(insert random unskilled job title).

The way they've been incidiously phased-in is pretty sly as well. When they were first introduced they were partnered up with regular police and had bright blue 'bibs' with blue check hats. Slowly but surely their uniforms began to change to the point where you've got to look very close to tell the difference between them and regular police.

I was walking behind a two community wardens in Lime Street Station when a homeless bloke started kicking off at them for 'looking at him like shit' they both shit their kecks and 'power-walked' away, a ticket inspector chased the beggar and said to them both 'are you okay? take no notice!'

You wouldn't want to hide behind this lot if someone was chasing you with a becks bottle, put it that way.

Worst thing is, Its a Labour election pledge to intriduce more of them - reminds me of the ploy the Iraqis used in the first gulf war with their 'inflatable tanks'

It's all part of government by focus group isn't it? The family fortunes home office. 56% of people said they wanted more bobbies on the beat; the result: Civs in police uniforms.

I thought there was a reason we vote for people; so they can make the decisions (not so they can tell us about the latest poll that will shape future policy).

Just dropped someone off in town at lunchtime. Three lads (about 15/16 yrs old) sitting by side of busy road. One of them picks up an object and throws it at the screen of a passing car. Fortunately the screen didn't shatter, and the car didn't swerve, so there was no accident to speak of. Another day, another driver, and it might have been very different.

It's all part of government by focus group isn't it? The family fortunes home office. 56% of people said they wanted more bobbies on the beat; the result: Civs in police uniforms.

I thought there was a reason we vote for people; so they can make the decisions (not so they can tell us about the latest poll that will shape future policy).

We're supposed to have more police now than at any time in history, yet i can't remember the last time i've seen one on the street.

I work between Anfield (the second most deprived ward in England) and Wavertree and the only police presence i ever see is a single yellow 'Matrix' riot van that plods up and down the backstreets looking for kids on mini-motorbikes.

Guest TK-421

Handing over responsibility for granting liquor licences and club premises certificates from the Magistrates to local authorities, a truly stupid idea conceived by fucktards who have no idea what they're talking about.

Too many polls (not plumbers from Warsaw but bingo bongo ones from "bored of Oxton")

I'm not bored; I'm having a great time: getting ready for going on holiday, entertaining the kids, doing a few odds and sods and enjoying the banter on here.

Guest Jay W

My uncles a bobby and he can't see the point in 'Community Wardens' the way they are now. Paul has good points but you can also ask the question, why not send them to a Police training centre for 2 weeks for a bit of training, do a few weeks continuous training like classroom work back home and give them powers of arrest? cheaper than a fully trained copper and you've still got your 'Wardens' who can actualy do something, or atleast have more of an affect on yobs who know they can't do fuck all...

I bet if they started paying Specials there'd be alot more signing up too and also maybe a bit more out and about....I find that disgusting that Specials don't get paid...This country needs to sort it's shit out...Part time soldiers get paid and massive bounties every year, Part time Firefighters get paid and also now recieve a pension and yet more brave people who sign up to be a special constable don't..they can get into a bit of rough and tumble at times too. I bet they sit at home saying I could of been stabbed there and I do this for fuck all...

What else?

if you were in a wheel chair it would mean so much to you :wallbutt: think about others because 1 day it could be you :yes:

I bet if they started paying Specials there'd be alot more signing up too and also maybe a bit more out and about....I find that disgusting that Specials don't get paid...This country needs to sort it's shit out...Part time soldiers get paid and massive bounties every year, Part time Firefighters get paid and also now recieve a pension and yet more brave people who sign up to be a special constable don't..they can get into a bit of rough and tumble at times too. I bet they sit at home saying I could of been stabbed there and I do this for fuck all...

Damn good point!