You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Next Manager Poll (Sans Alonso)

Next Liverpool Manager  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Next Liverpool Manager

• Ruben Amorim
    • Roberto De Zerbi
    • Julian Nagelsmann
    • Pep Lijnders
    • Marco Silva
    • Thomas Tuchel
    • Michel Sanchez
    • Unai Emery
    • Vitor Pereira
    • Mauricio Pochettino
    • Ange Postecoglou
    • Carlo Ancelotti
    • Julen Lopetegui
    • Simone Inzaghi
    • Graham Potter
    • Other (Specify in comments)

Not arsed now. The nerds have what they want: they can go purely on data.

I’m very suspicious of Edwards here though. He wasn’t the SD when Klopp was appointed and so wasn’t the key voice. Now he is as the main football person for FSG. I suspect he’ll want to swerve big personalities who might develop a popular power base like Jurgen has, but if you don’t see the importance of a big character in the manager’s seat at a Liverpool (on top of coaching and leadership credentials) then you just don’t understand the club. 

Also, I don’t see anyone who plays high intensity attacking football and that’s just as important for me. 

If we’re going to take a punt, I’d be just as happy with Ljinders than one of these other sub-Xabi bums. 

• Upvote 7

10 minutes ago, Paul said:

I’m very suspicious of Edwards here though. He wasn’t the SD when Klopp was appointed and so wasn’t the key voice. Now he is as the main football person for FSG. I suspect he’ll want to swerve big personalities who might develop a popular power base like Jurgen has, but if you don’t see the importance of a big character in the manager’s seat at a Liverpool (on top of coaching and leadership credentials) then you just don’t understand the club. 

Also, I don’t see anyone who plays high intensity attacking football and that’s just as important for me. 

If we’re going to take a punt, I’d be just as happy with Ljinders than one of these other sub-Xabi bums. 

Edwards was involved in klopp's appointment, as was Ian Graham.

I don't think the whole "personality" thing is something we should worry about. Edwards' will be the boss. And he already has a fan base of his own within our fans. I think if the next manager completes with klopp for personality, that becomes Richard hughes' problem. Edwards' job will be to be the arbitrator between the two and often a sounding board for both (as was mike Gordon). In many ways, I think this is why Edwards wouldn't want a sporting directors role, because it can almost never trump the manager and certainly not at our club. 

Alonsos achievement this season is unbelievable but does that automatically qualify him for this job? 

Klopp couldn’t have chosen a worse season to leave in terms of who’s available.

Although, when you look at United- they’ve tried pretty much every conceivable option since since Ferguson and none of them have worked 

2 hours ago, Chris said:

Think we're being subliminally told who it's going to be, over the last few weeks...

What the fuck is going on! 

"Randomness is our Rohypnol".

"Ambivalence is our algorithm".

"Rashness is our rationality".

16 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't think the whole "personality" thing is something we should worry about. Edwards' will be the boss. And he already has a fan base of his own within our fans. I think if the next manager completes with klopp for personality, that becomes Richard hughes' problem. Edwards' job will be to be the arbitrator between the two and often a sounding board for both (as was mike Gordon). In many ways, I think this is why Edwards wouldn't want a sporting directors role, because it can almost never trump the manager and certainly not at our club. 

I doubt we even needed to re-hire Edwards. We probably only needed that Josh bloke who pops up on YouTube.

Tap-tap-tap...stare...Think...Tap-tap-tap...Ding: The solution.

The Enlightenment has been going for about five centuries, and still hasn't delivered. Football has worked it all out in about ten years. 

5 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

What's Motta like football-wise? I'd heard he was doing some crazy shit when he was at Genoa.

They're fourth in Serie A because they defend really well and rarely lose. However, they've actually quite un-Italian in that they're really fluid in possession. And they have a lot of it.

Orsolini (winger) has been really good under Motta. He's 27, but I reckon a bigger club will buy him this summer.

2 hours ago, Code said:

Torres is coaching Atletico Madrid U19 or U21 is he not?

Yeah. I noticed as much when he played against Real Madrid's U19s and they were managed by Arbeloa.

47 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

I don't think he speaks English to be fair. 

But he's done a brilliant job at inter, no denying that

He's done really well. I suspect he will end up at an English club in the future if he wants it. I think the club definitely want a manager who can front up and talk about anything and everything. Both Klopp and Rodgers are great  communicators except the latter talks shite. 

Most Italians can understand English but the spoken proficiency varies. 

9 hours ago, Creator Supreme said:

Other - ergo me! I'll rule with an iron fist and will kick Pep in the bollocks at the first game against City the next season.

Failing that, Eva Olid appeals in many ways.

“get out there and lose 10 nil lads we’re shit let’s go!” 

I think it’s Amorim and that’s who I’ve voted for. 

Emery or Postecoglou would be interesting. 

What’s this Motta talk? Cunt had great stats on Championship Manager and you could sign him on a free at one point and he was shit. I’m out. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dave D said:

Alonsos achievement this season is unbelievable but does that automatically qualify him for this job? 

Klopp couldn’t have chosen a worse season to leave in terms of who’s available.

Although, when you look at United- they’ve tried pretty much every conceivable option since since Ferguson and none of them have worked 

The last time there was a belter of a manager available, we hired him. I realise guardiola moved slightly after that, but I think that was already in place and is a different situation anyway. Part of the reason klopp is so great, is because he's great. He has very view, if any peers. And certainly not a person who would fit so hand in glove as our club. So anyone from here is 1. A risk and 2. A step down. We can only hope they grow and come to be so good. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

Yes, I know. That’s why I said he wasn’t the key voice rather than he had no say.

As for the other thing, we’ll see. I just get strong, “I have to be the big dog” vibes off Edwards. 

27 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

He's done really well. I suspect he will end up at an English club in the future if he wants it. I think the club definitely want a manager who can front up and talk about anything and everything. Both Klopp and Rodgers are great  communicators except the latter talks shite. 

Most Italians can understand English but the spoken proficiency varies. 

Saw a couple of post match interviews with Inzaghi speaking pretty good English. Amorim has good English too. Would only improve the more they got to know Trent and Curtis as well.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Paul said:

Yes, I know. That’s why I said he wasn’t the key voice rather than he had no say.

As for the other thing, we’ll see. I just get strong, “I have to be the big dog” vibes off Edwards. 

I'm sure he does want to be the big dog, it's why it took such an offer for him to come back - he is the big dog. I don't think that has to be related to personality though, mike Gordon was the big dog too. It never stopped klopp being klopp. It also didn't mean Gordon gave klopp everything he wanted. 

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

Sounds fucking bleak.

We've near enough begged Edwards to come back, must have been given some massive promises. Horrible thought.

4 minutes ago, Moo said:

Sounds fucking bleak.

We've near enough begged Edwards to come back, must have been given some massive promises. Horrible thought.

I don't see how it makes any difference. He's just doing Mike Gordon's job..someone has to ask he doesn't want to do it anymore. 

6 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

If we think he's the right man, I don't see the euros really as an issue. He's said he's ready to commit to a club in April. He can do some work with planning before the euros (which someone at another club couldn't do), so it would just mean he would need to come right from the euros to here and for the 3rd week in July. Most of the players won't be back by then. So it's just a question of who can be running the training for those players who come back the week earlier. It wouldn't be that bad as there'll be so few players if they just start with the U23s. The first part of preseason is only ever the U23s and half a dozen first teamers anyway. We don't start playing in the US until July 31st. 

I don't see this summer as being a big transfer summer. And I'm sure nagelsmann and Hughes could discuss all that before the euros and leave Hughes to get the job done. If he's announced, players will understand he can't come and chat to them. 

I also think Nagelsman could be a good choice . I’m not convinced by Amorim , admittedly I only saw highlights of  Sporting’s two games against Atalanta but they didn’t impress.

It’s obvious where this is heading. I’m surprised Edwards hasn’t already come calling. 

Sorry lads, I’m not doing it. The job needs a younger man. Ideally one that doesn’t mind getting dressed and leaving the house. 

19 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

They're fourth in Serie A because they defend really well and rarely lose. However, they've actually quite un-Italian in that they're really fluid in possession. And they have a lot of it.

Orsolini (winger) has been really good under Motta. He's 27, but I reckon a bigger club will buy him this summer.

Yeah. I noticed as much when he played against Real Madrid's U19s and they were managed by Arbeloa.

There are some good videos on YouTube about what Motta's doing and his defending system, specifically.

I'd agree we shouldn't eliminate people like him from consideration because of the lack of an obvious superior candidate that is available.

23 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

What do you make of the Girona manager?

23 hours ago, Paul said:

Eva Olid is the consensus candidate on this forum.

Instead of sticking the boot in, why not get behind the team for a change?