You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Next Manager Poll (Sans Alonso)

Next Liverpool Manager  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Next Liverpool Manager

• Ruben Amorim
    • Roberto De Zerbi
    • Julian Nagelsmann
    • Pep Lijnders
    • Marco Silva
    • Thomas Tuchel
    • Michel Sanchez
    • Unai Emery
    • Vitor Pereira
    • Mauricio Pochettino
    • Ange Postecoglou
    • Carlo Ancelotti
    • Julen Lopetegui
    • Simone Inzaghi
    • Graham Potter
    • Other (Specify in comments)

I was tempted to go with Lijnders for continuity. But, I’m not sure we need continuity. And would Lijnders give us that or a diminished version of what we had before? Plus, his last foray into management didn’t go great. 

I’ve gone for Nagelsmann. 

His sacking at Bayern needs to be reexamined in the context of their performance this season. Tuchel was able to utilise a much improved attack this season with Kane and they’ve struggled to keep pace with Leverkusen. Nagelsmann was sacked when a point or two behind Dortmund at the top. They’d won 8 out 8 in their CL group. They possibly could’ve gone on and won the title if Nagelsmann stayed. 

Also, his win percentage at Bayern was very good. Just north of 70%. 

Then you have to look at his other “achievements.” They’re relative achievement for the clubs he was at at the time. Getting Hoffenheim into the CL (almost twice) is a massive achievement for a club of their stature. Getting Leipzig to a Champions League semi final is decent too. 

Then onto the Germany job. It was a shaky start for him, albeit with experimental line ups - Havertz at left back and left wing back - and a feeling that he was testing the waters in his first couple of games. But, he now appears to have settled on a line up and system and the results have improved, with recent wins against France and the Netherlands. The performances have improved too, with players like Kroos saying in the press that something has clicked and they seem to be working as a team again for the first time in a while. Plus, the German sports press have gone from doom and gloom to thinking that Die Mannschaft are now genuine contenders for the upcoming Euros. 

Plus, he apparently plays a possession based game with focus also on pressing and winning the ball back quickly. It’s a style of play that our existing players are familiar with and probably wouldn’t take too much adjusting to his tactics. 

He's one of the standout candidates for me. I’d like Inzaghi too, but he appears similar to Alonso, in that he doesn’t seem to be available currently. And we also don’t seem to be interested if the lack of links are anything to go by. 

I can’t get excited by Amorim - the case for him seems to rely on getting really excited about what his CV looked like 18 months ago.

Maybe it’s going to be a second league title this season (and, to be fair, they are just about still top of the table), otherwise it’ll be just one title in four years which is hardly world-shaking. 

Then again, I look at everyone else on the list and I’m not surprised that he’s emerging as the consensus candidate. I’ve gone for Ancelotti, who has a habit of winning trophies and not upending what already works. 

2 hours ago, Red74 said:

This squad have done what they’re told for years so whoever comes in better be able to earn their respect from day one otherwise the whole lot could cave in. 

Not having cunts in the squad helps with that - we'll be sound.

53 minutes ago, Nelly-Szoboszlai said:

I was tempted to go with Lijnders for continuity. But, I’m not sure we need continuity. And would Lijnders give us that or a diminished version of what we had before? Plus, his last foray into management didn’t go great. 

I’ve gone for Nagelsmann. 

His sacking at Bayern needs to be reexamined in the context of their performance this season. Tuchel was able to utilise a much improved attack this season with Kane and they’ve struggled to keep pace with Leverkusen. Nagelsmann was sacked when a point or two behind Dortmund at the top. They’d won 8 out 8 in their CL group. They possibly could’ve gone on and won the title if Nagelsmann stayed. 

Also, his win percentage at Bayern was very good. Just north of 70%. 

Then you have to look at his other “achievements.” They’re relative achievement for the clubs he was at at the time. Getting Hoffenheim into the CL (almost twice) is a massive achievement for a club of their stature. Getting Leipzig to a Champions League semi final is decent too. 

Then onto the Germany job. It was a shaky start for him, albeit with experimental line ups - Havertz at left back and left wing back - and a feeling that he was testing the waters in his first couple of games. But, he now appears to have settled on a line up and system and the results have improved, with recent wins against France and the Netherlands. The performances have improved too, with players like Kroos saying in the press that something has clicked and they seem to be working as a team again for the first time in a while. Plus, the German sports press have gone from doom and gloom to thinking that Die Mannschaft are now genuine contenders for the upcoming Euros. 

Plus, he apparently plays a possession based game with focus also on pressing and winning the ball back quickly. It’s a style of play that our existing players are familiar with and probably wouldn’t take too much adjusting to his tactics. 

He's one of the standout candidates for me. I’d like Inzaghi too, but he appears similar to Alonso, in that he doesn’t seem to be available currently. And we also don’t seem to be interested if the lack of links are anything to go by. 

It would be great if the club are negotiating with Nagelsmann behind the scenes and using other names as a smokescreen.

He's already turned down Chelsea over recruitment so clearly quite prepared to only take a job he feels is right. Sounds like his issues at Bayern were less coaching and tactics and more him being a bit horny according to our own Babbel.

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/julian-nagelsmann-girlfiend-problem-bayern-munich-markus-babbel/bltf3dcb8fa867b3770

Inzaghi is the best, but he'll be inaccessible.

De Zerbi and Amorim are good choices. I think Nagelsmann has really high potential as well, but equally he has a massive ego. But shit man, Bundesliga manager at 28 is crazy.

I think we're being primed for it being Amorim. And people will be surprised with him. He talks good English and he's a charismatic guy. I think he would probably be seen as the most complete package, given he has also won some stuff.

Alonso's past decisions show he has absolutely zero romanticism when it comes to making career decisions. A huge amount of emotional nonsense has been projected on to him by fans but it's never been convincing. Move on.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, an tha said:

I have a feeling it could be Nagelsmann

The difficulty with that appointment though will be that euros shite in the summer.

If we think he's the right man, I don't see the euros really as an issue. He's said he's ready to commit to a club in April. He can do some work with planning before the euros (which someone at another club couldn't do), so it would just mean he would need to come right from the euros to here and for the 3rd week in July. Most of the players won't be back by then. So it's just a question of who can be running the training for those players who come back the week earlier. It wouldn't be that bad as there'll be so few players if they just start with the U23s. The first part of preseason is only ever the U23s and half a dozen first teamers anyway. We don't start playing in the US until July 31st. 

I don't see this summer as being a big transfer summer. And I'm sure nagelsmann and Hughes could discuss all that before the euros and leave Hughes to get the job done. If he's announced, players will understand he can't come and chat to them. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Denny Crane said:

I voted Inzaghi but there is zero interest from the club.

The football Inter played at times when they came here was good as ours, all bar the cutting edge of Salah, Mane and range of Alexander Arnold - it really surprised me. 

But there just doesn’t seem to be the connection there and you’d probably have to shape it all around what he’d want to make him 100% comfortable. 

3 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

If we think he's the right man, I don't see the euros really as an issue. He's said he's ready to commit to a club in April. He can do some work with planning before the euros (which someone at another club couldn't do), so it would just mean he would need to come right from the euros to here and for the 3rd week in July. Most of the players won't be back by then. So it's just a question of who can be running the training for those players who come back the week earlier. It wouldn't be that bad as there'll be so few players if they just start with the U23s. The first part of preseason is only ever the U23s and half a dozen first teamers anyway. We don't start playing in the US until July 31st. 

I don't see this summer as being a big transfer summer. And I'm sure nagelsmann and Hughes could discuss all that before the euros and leave Hughes to get the job done. If he's announced, players will understand he can't come and chat to them. 

He can also tap up some of the German squad while he's at it and get a quick word with Robbo and Szoboszlai after the group games

• Upvote 1