You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man Utd (A) - FA Cup Quarter Final, Sun 17th Mar 2023 (3:30pm)

Trumo

It’s a testimony to what Klopp and the team have given us since 2017 that so many of our fans turn into entitled little monsters if we lose a game.

It was a bad day at the office. Take it. Use it in our league games, particularly against Utd. You want to inflict hurt on them? Winning the league and equalling their record would inflict hurt on them. 

COYR!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 7

I know we’re at risk of building him into a Kenny/Suarez/Rush hybrid in his absence, but Jota has so much more game intelligence than our other attackers. Doesn’t help that he misses a lot of games of course.

30 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The two things you believe; that we have no depth and that this team are mentally weak, are actually this teams biggest strengths. It is pretty unbelievable stuff. 

There's nothing unbelievable about it.

We lack quality off the bench and have done for a while especially when we have these frequent injury crises. Yeah the kids have done well but you cant be relying on them long term for the big prizes, they've got lots of growing to do yet.

Mentality wise - we've always had problems. We can play scintillating stuff but every now and again we rock up with a shit attitude.

This season, Arsenal away, had them in control, gifted them two goals. United today, in control, gifted them three goals.

They beat us last year third game in after being dry humped by two mid table teams. Again we turned up half baked.

Bournemouth last year with fourth in our hands and having drubbed United 7-0 the week before, we rocked up and lost 1-0.

Theres been loads of examples over the years of sloppy, casual and arrogant performances which have cost us especially against Utd and Everton who for the most part have had some of the worst teams in living memory.

If we had the mentality you think we have, days like today wouldnt happen.

Can’t wait for Jota to come back, would have fucking bummed City last week and those cunts today had he been playing.

Only two attackers I’d keep are Jota and Nunez, the rest can go in the summer if the right offers come in, didn’t miss Salah when he was injured and he walked about again today, maybe he’s not 100% but apart from the goal he was horrendous, the whole front three were though to be fair

6 minutes ago, Anubis said:

It’s a testimony to what Klopp and the team have given us since 2017 that so many of our fans turn into entitled little monsters if we lose a game.

It was a bad day at the office. Take it. Use it in our league games, particularly against Utd. You want to inflict hurt on them? Winning the league and equalling their record would inflict hurt on them. 

COYR!

Spot on this. 

8 minutes ago, Anubis said:

COYR!

Agree.

It's mid March and this was our third  meaningful defeat of the season.

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, Dave D said:

It stings but on reflection our last attempt at a  quadruple found seriously wanting the following season.

Thats my particular straw to clutch 

Today was just one game too far. A bit like it was when it went to shit against arsenal. We've got Dom and mo who were not going to see the game out. And some other players around the squad, who you also wouldn't want 120 mins - Nunez,  robbo and maybe even endo. And clearly others have had to come off. Nunez gave the ball away for a goal and it was just pure exhaustion. He'd needed taking off for ages, but we had no more moves. Klopp often gets his subs right, but he didn't today and somehow despite everyone being exhausted, every sub seemed to make us worse. But fuck it, I'd have traded today for 3 points when we play them in the league. We just have to now go and get those 3 points. We fucking owe them this season and they'll have one eye on the following week. I'm not arsed about this or the uefa cup. I want the league from here and the draws on Friday and going out today help us heading towards that. 

• Upvote 5

12 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

There's nothing unbelievable about it.

We lack quality off the bench and have done for a while especially when we have these frequent injury crises. Yeah the kids have done well but you cant be relying on them long term for the big prizes, they've got lots of growing to do yet.

Mentality wise - we've always had problems. We can play scintillating stuff but every now and again we rock up with a shit attitude.

This season, Arsenal away, had them in control, gifted them two goals. United today, in control, gifted them three goals.

They beat us last year third game in after being dry humped by two mid table teams. Again we turned up half baked.

Bournemouth last year with fourth in our hands and having drubbed United 7-0 the week before, we rocked up and lost 1-0.

Theres been loads of examples over the years of sloppy, casual and arrogant performances which have cost us especially against Utd and Everton who for the most part have had some of the worst teams in living memory.

If we had the mentality you think we have, days like today wouldnt happen.

The only reason we are in with a chance at the league is from getting results and come from behind wins we had no business getting. 

This is also our deepest squad we've ever had. When we won the league, we had players like Lallana, Keita, Ox and Lovren and our back up fullback on both sides was Milner.

In sum, you just don't really know what you're watching and you are one of these people who can't accept that winning things these days is just way more difficult than in your childhood and if we don't it's gotta be because the "lads don't learn, do they". 

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

The only reason we are in with a chance at the league is from getting results and come from behind wins we had no business getting. 

This is also our deepest squad we've ever had. When we won the league, we had players like Lallana, Keita, Ox and Lovren and our back up fullback on both sides was Milner.

In sum, you just don't really know what you're watching and you are one of these people who can't accept that winning things these days is just way more difficult than in your childhood and if we don't it's gotta be because the "lads don't learn, do they". 

Mate you're Canadian.

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

Today was just one game too far. A bit like it was when it went to shit against arsenal. We've got Dom and mo who were not going to see the game out. And some other players around the squad, who you also wouldn't want 120 mins - Nunez,  robbo and maybe even endo. And clearly others have had to come off. Nunez gave the ball away for a goal and it was just pure exhaustion. He'd needed taking off for ages, but we had no more moves. Klopp often gets his subs right, but he didn't today and somehow despite everyone being exhausted, every sub seemed to make us worse. But fuck it, I'd have traded today for 3 points when we play them in the league. We just have to now go and get those 3 points. We fucking owe them this season and they'll have one eye on the following week. I'm not arsed about this or the uefa cup. I want the league from here and the draws on Friday and going out today help us heading towards that. 

For the 4D chess players among us, City having to play Chelsea in the semis is good too.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

Half and half Womble. I don't believe it was one game too far. It was piss poor game management  That was a game impossible to lose but we did. That's on us. It was so fucking easy in that 2nd half yet we managed to allow them to come alive again. The other half is where I think we all agree, it's just win the league. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Smell The Glove said:

Half and half Womble. I don't believe it was one game too far. It was piss poor game management  That was a game impossible to lose but we did. That's on us. It was so fucking easy in that 2nd half yet we managed to allow them to come alive again. The other half is where I think we all agree, it's just win the league. 

But part of that game management is because we had so many players individually managing themselves. We should have finished them off. We didn't, because we were too in training ground mode, because so many of them are just back from injury or likely managing injuries (Salah looked like that to me today, I don't think he's over that hamstring). We absolutely should have killed the game, but despite our dominance, we barely made onana make a decent save. And normally our subs would come on and finish the job if the starting XI couldn't. But for once the subs couldn't get us over the line, in fact every one of them made us worse. 

Edit, a bit like last week, a fit Jota or Trent and we probably win that game. 

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

We let them off the hook, they're absolutely shite. No discipline, no gameplan, they just hit it long and took their chances. We dilly dallied and got sucker punched a few times.

I'm bothered but far from distraught, we could and should have won. Shit happens.

I'll heartened though that their demise as a big club is seemingly complete. They looked like they'd won the world cup tonight. Every corner won a winning goal at the San Siro in a European Cup final. The press too, talking up their plucky underdog spirit. Front page of the Mirror will just be a shot of them celebrating and the word "heroes" above them.

It's like when a kid with special needs paints a giraffe and it doesn't look like a dog. 

They were like us playing them 15 years ago. Massive occasion for them and they stood up while we bottled it or swanked about like we the globetrotters. There are squire a good few performances today but the whole thing looked like we didn’t give a shit

• Upvote 2