You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

Anubis

49 minutes ago, Red Banjo said:

I'd like to think we'll go all out for the Georgian lad at Napoli in the summer.

He's proper boss and still really young. Napoli are having a shocker this season so you'd imagine everyone will be for sale at the right price.

Scores, assists and already plays anywhere across the front 3 - so a seamless transition.

Get it done LFC yer clumps.

6 minutes ago, Red Banjo said:

I should add - if we are to lose a front player.

Can't see us spending money on a forward if everyone stays.

He rarely plays in any position outside of left winger. The stats pages have him playing 162 out of 184 as a left winger. He might be able to play on the right but he hasn't done it much and his heat maps show he does all his work on the left and quite wide. 

Napoli will lose Osimhen for 100ml in the summer so they'll drive a hard bargain for him. 

As I said all depends who the next manager is. If its Xabi and he plays the formation he is now he doesnt really have wingers but 2 10s where you could see him bring in someone like Wirtz. Or he might look at the squad and revert to the 4231 he started with at Sociedad then i could see him move for Kvaratskhelia as he would be perfect as a winger for a more possession based attack

7 hours ago, Lee909 said:

As I said all depends who the next manager is. If its Xabi and he plays the formation he is now he doesnt really have wingers but 2 10s where you could see him bring in someone like Wirtz. Or he might look at the squad and revert to the 4231 he started with at Sociedad then i could see him move for Kvaratskhelia as he would be perfect as a winger for a more possession based attack

IMO, this isn’t an issue at all. The players we have are flexible. 

It won’t be that much different to we were in did until Trent started coming inside - width from the full backs, attackers closer to goal.

17 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Scott getting in early.

In stereo.

15 hours ago, aws said:

Scott dishes out 12 of the best to the self-flagellators. 

Ha. When it happens, at it will, I’ll be referring everyone back to the 1st page and post 2 (and 3) .

A left footed, left sided young defender. I like Inacio, but that might be a daft move given how good he currently is, and the lack of short to medium term opportunities there are likely to be.

We should probably also look for the Mo replacement, even though I would extend his contract. The two standouts to me are - obviously - Michael Olise at Palace,  and also Diaby, the Sadio clone at Villa.

I would also love to have a mobile dominant six even though it’s strikes me that we have moved beyond that with the way we’re currently playing. However, we may need to get one in order to play Xabi’s style of football. As for who that is, I don’t know. I just want a Mascherano clone with a bit more height. 

In terms of priorities, this season has proved the value of having multiple goalscorers, and I feel like Michael Olise is too good to allow to go elsewhere. That said, I am fully on board with – and always have been – our youth development policy, and in Ben Doak and Kaide Gordon, we have two brilliant teenagers whose development we should avoid impeding.

As for the other two positions, I would prioritise the defender first simply because we only have one left footed centre half and other players for those positions who have patchy fitness records. It strikes me though that we should get a really superb homegrown prodigy rather than a ready-made player for the reasons highlighted above (unless there’s a left footed Quansah clone coming through the academy). 

5 minutes ago, Paul said:

A left footed, left sided young defender. I like Inacio, but that might be a daft move given how good he currently is, and the lack of short to medium term opportunities there are likely to be.

We should probably also look for the Mo replacement, even though I would extend his contract. The two standouts to me are - obviously - Michael Olise at Palace,  and also Diaby, the Sadio clone at Villa.

I would also love to have a mobile dominant six even though it’s strikes me that we have moved beyond that with the way we’re currently playing. However, we may need to get one in order to play Xabi’s style of football. As for who that is, I don’t know. I just want a Mascherano clone with a bit more height. 

Xabi plays with Xhaka and Palacios as the 6s. We have been linked with Palacios the last few months

3 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Xabi plays with Xhaka and Palacios as the 6s. We have been linked with Palacios the last few months

Yeah. I’m not 100% convinced Xabi will walk in here and simply just implement his current style. I think he might adapt it for the players he has. But if he sticks with what he knows, that makes sense. 

34 minutes ago, Paul said:

Yeah. I’m not 100% convinced Xabi will walk in here and simply just implement his current style. I think he might adapt it for the players he has. But if he sticks with what he knows, that makes sense. 

I agree

I think we are far more likely to see a 4231 as its easily adapted amd fits the squad that how he plays at Leverkusen. I think the owners will be asking prospective manager if they need players. It was supposedly one of thevreason Klopp got the job over Ancelotti who demanded multiple players at the start

19 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

I agree

I think we are far more likely to see a 4231 as its easily adapted amd fits the squad that how he plays at Leverkusen. I think the owners will be asking prospective manager if they need players. It was supposedly one of thevreason Klopp got the job over Ancelotti who demanded multiple players at the start

Quite a difference taking over this summer than when Klopp did in 2015! 

I could see us going for Palacios in particular because we don’t really have a proper 6, Endo aside, and Endo isn’t a long term solution. Stats wise Palacios looks incredible but he’s quite injury prone as well. We know how well injury prone Bundesliga midfielders do in the Premier League already so I hope we steer clear.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, joe_fishfish said:

I could see us going for Palacios in particular because we don’t really have a proper 6, Endo aside, and Endo isn’t a long term solution. Stats wise Palacios looks incredible but he’s quite injury prone as well. 

There's also the fact that he is 39 and playing back in Honduras.

3 hours ago, Scott_M said:

If it is Xabi and if he does want to play 3-4-3, I wonder if we go back for Colwill? 

IMG_0823.png

I wonder if that's PL PSR or UEFA FSR? 100% it won't be FFP like the headline says, as it no longer exists anywhere! If it's European rules (I think is set next year 80% spending turnover on wages, agent fees, amortisation and any legacy costs of sacking managers or offloading players), but what's the chances of them getting in Europe? I'd say they need to beat us in the league cup as it's looking at the moment. 

38 minutes ago, Bad Red Bull said:

I hope not. Brathwaite has a higher ceiling than Colwill. Better value for money outside like Tapsoba.

Branthwaite does look a good player. 

Thinking about it a bit more, although I would 1000% extend his contact and I think he can keep going until Thiago Silva and Ramos’ ages, regardless of 3 or 2 centre backs or we should look to have somebody eventually replace VVD in our ranks. 

I don’t know if we have a left footed Quansah in the Academy. You would hope Konate will become the leader of the back 4. We just need to ensure we manage VVD’s minutes appropriately. 

We need to be careful with Home Grown (HG) players. I know Matip & Thiago are likely to go, Gravenberch is classed as an U21 this season but a Non-Home Grown next season (NHG). 

Mo could leave but would need replacing, I don’t see anybody classed as HG doing that (maybe Olisie, his fitness record is poor). 

2 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

The 3nd and 3rd keepers should always be home grown if we can. 

Long term we look good for home grown players. 

I think Gulacsi at Leipzig’s contract is up in the summer.  

Despite being a Hungary international, I’m pretty sure he classes as home grown due to his time with us (and on loan) when he was younger.

He’s forged a good career for himself after he left us. He’d be adequate if Keheller and / or Adrian were to leave. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Despite being a Hungary international, I’m pretty sure he classes as home grown due to his time with us (and on loan) when he was younger.

He’s forged a good career for himself after he left us. He’d be adequate if Keheller and / or Adrian were to leave. 

He does count as HG. If he's looking to be a back up would make sense as I'd imagine Kelleher moves on

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

He's already backup at RBL isn't he? And it feels.likenhwnshould be about 50! It feels like a lifetime ago he was here. 

I'm sure if he plays or not  

He was out for a while injured

Just now, Barrington Womble said:

I have it it my head he's no longer their keeper. I don't know how I know that like, as I don't really watch German footy! 

They rejected a offer from Forest for him. I'm not sure they know who is the number 1. Blaswich has been so far but Gulacsi did his ACL and only got fit at the end of September. 

His contract runs till 2025 according to transfermarkt so he wouldn't be on a free anyway. For a small fee he would make a good number 2 if Kelleher left, Kamil Grabara would be the same and home grown but I doubt he would want to be a number 2 and he's playing in the champions league with Copenhagen 

• Upvote 1

On 03/02/2024 at 18:35, Scott_M said:

The Hungarian International is the key part of thar post, he's their number 1 at very successful period for them. He's not intentionally going to sign as a number 2 for anyone.