You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So who should be our next manager?

40 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

I find it odd how people seem to be dismissing the idea entirely that Alonso could be interested in any other club that us?

If he takes over at Bayern it'll be after them having failed to win their first league title in 12 years.  So it's a top club that's struggling but guarantees CL footy every year?  And he also played for them and won trophies with them and so has an emotional link?  Of course he's very interested in that.

While it's entirely possible he may go somewhere else I think the idea that Bayern are 'struggling' rather than just having a down season on the back of endless dominance is overplayed.

Leverkusen are having an exceptional, almost unheard of, season and Bayern have been so used to just going through the motions that it's caught them off guard (you could argue that last season would have shocked them into giving that extra 10% but it seem's not to have).

Alonso going to Bayern isn't restoring a fallen giant it's just restoring the status quo.

2 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

While it's entirely possible he may go somewhere else I think the idea that Bayern are 'struggling' rather than just having a down season on the back of endless dominance is overplayed.

Leverkusen are having an exceptional, almost unheard of, season and Bayern have been so used to just going through the motions that it's caught them off guard (you could argue that last season would have shocked them into giving that extra 10% but it seem's not to have).

Alonso going to Bayern isn't restoring a fallen giant it's just restoring the status quo.

The Harry Kane effect.

48 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

I find it odd how people seem to be dismissing the idea entirely that Alonso could be interested in any other club that us?

If he takes over at Bayern it'll be after them having failed to win their first league title in 12 years.  So it's a top club that's struggling but guarantees CL footy every year?  And he also played for them and won trophies with them and so has an emotional link?  Of course he's very interested in that.

We are hugely appealing too of course.  He's got that emotional ex-player link also.  However, replacing Klopp must be seen as daunting by even the most confident manager?  Maybe letting someone else be the next in line and then taking over from them in a few years time is a lot more appealing?

The total silence from Real Madrid, another ex-team where he won massive trophies, has to be a concern too?  They will be very interested.

And then the one no one seems to be talking about?  Saying at Bayer?  He wins the league and then gets to take them into the CL as top seeds in the group stage with money to spend on players?  This is surely appealing to him?

All things considered, I want Alonso as first choice.  But there's a very real chance we won't get him and I fear then whoever comes in is going to have very poor support from the fans, and the FSG Out gobshites will spin it like they fucked up, instead of the fact he might have just fancied going somewhere else, or staying where he is?  It's gong to be a massive overaction that will affect the coming seasons.  That reason alone is enough for me to hope it's Alonso, but I hope people can be mature about it if it's not him.

As somebody who neither likes or dislikes the owners (relatively speaking) the fear is that Klopp apart,who is a perfect fit,their other managerial dealings left something to be desired.

29 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Exactly. Leverkusen are having the kind of season no team has had for decades. If they maintain the current points average, they will finish in the ~90 points mark. Klopp's 2012 Dortmund team won the title with 81 points and with 75 points in 2011.

Bayern won the title with 71, 77 & 78 points in the last 3 seasons. If they maintain the current average this season, they will finish with 77/78 points, which is 'par' for them. Just that Leverkusen are having a freak of a season.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I don't follow German football too closely, but I got the impression that Bayern's playing squad has a fairly ageing profile.

And if Dier is the answer I am not sure of the question.

Bit of a weird squad. Got some really promising young players who could be world class mixed with fading greats. 

It's the squad you get when you have lots of managers and a team above that who have favorites and like to buy the good performers from other teams with little thought to whether those players are on an upwards curve of having a good season (they seem to do it in midfield especially).

12 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

It's the squad you get when you have lots of managers and a team above that who have favorites and like to buy the good performers from other teams with little thought to whether those players are on an upwards curve of having a good season (they seem to do it in midfield especially).

They've been hit badly with injuries but anybody who's got Kane, Sane, Koman, Musiala, Tel, Gnabry will he thinking I can live with that. If Klopp took that they'd be European champions in his 1st year.

3 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

Not sure anybody is saying that. At present, the Xabi to Bayern stories on help create doubt within Leverkusen. Bayern need a Hail Mary to win the league now, the louder the stories, the more destabilising they could become. 

We’ve seen before Bayern are sneaky fuckers in how they tapped up Dortmund’s best players and then announced them with half a season still to play. 

3 hours ago, JohnnyH said:

All things considered, I want Alonso as first choice.  But there's a very real chance we won't get him and I fear then whoever comes in is going to have very poor support from the fans, and the FSG Out gobshites will spin it like they fucked up, instead of the fact he might have just fancied going somewhere else, or staying where he is?  It's gong to be a massive overaction that will affect the coming seasons.  That reason alone is enough for me to hope it's Alonso, but I hope people can be mature about it if it's not him.

Unfortunately, that would be an absolute certainty.

3 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Not sure anybody is saying that. At present, the Xabi to Bayern stories on help create doubt within Leverkusen. Bayern need a Hail Mary to win the league now, the louder the stories, the more destabilising they could become. 

We’ve seen before Bayern are sneaky fuckers in how they tapped up Dortmund’s best players and then announced them with half a season still to play. 

Unfortunately, that would be an absolute certainty.

I don't think the fans will except anyone other than Alonso,big decisions for fsg ,maybe get away with amerion but with these in charge basically klopp has covered them with him not there could be carnage ahead 

32 minutes ago, andrew78 said:

I don't think the fans will except anyone other than Alonso,big decisions for fsg ,maybe get away with amerion but with these in charge basically klopp has covered them with him not there could be carnage ahead 

I’m glad you took time out from watching the match to shine a sunny deposition on this thread and basically echo exactly what Johnny H said would happen if Alonso goes elsewhere. 

2 hours ago, Scott_M said:

I’m glad you took time out from watching the match to shine a sunny deposition on this thread and basically echo exactly what Johnny H said would happen if Alonso goes elsewhere. 

Not a problem cheers

12 minutes ago, Barnesey said:

His stats, over a longer period, stack up more favourably (apparently)

It's not just what the stats show it's what they suggest going forward as well (coupled with the usual character traits and background personal work we do).

We didn't buy Alisson and Salah solely for what they were doing we bought them because the data suggested that it was scalable and they hadn't hit their ceiling, the manager search will be the same.

No manager is perfect for us and there's an element of adaptation and risk associated with all of them.

All reports so far suggest that a combination of all those factors has Alonso at the top of the list with Amorim a credible alternative rather than Amorim the preferred candidate.

3 hours ago, Barnesey said:

His stats, over a longer period, stack up more favourably (apparently)

Really? It seems pretty hard to believe unless you're including Alonso's time managing sociedad reserves. And those stats need to be taken with a large pinch of salt. 

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

Really? It seems pretty hard to believe unless you're including Alonso's time managing sociedad reserves. And those stats need to be taken with a large pinch of salt. 

Amorim has been a manager for 4 years. Alonso, less than half of that, in a top flight league.