You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

So who should be our next manager?

13 hours ago, Lee909 said:

I'm not saying he is the right guy but i'm wondering what people expect from him. He doesn't have the biggest of squads to be juggling European football with league games and had the heart of his midfield ripped out and in Caicedo case quite late. At its not like Brighton will go out and buy ready made replacements for him. I think they knew this year would be tough and top 8 would be the aim alongside the knockout stages of the Europa league. 

His results after the Europa League and the teams he has played have not helped them one bit

A Bournemouth 3-1 win

H Liverpool 2-2

H Fulham 1-1

H Sheff Utd 1-1

A Chelsea 3-2 L

A Arsenal 2-0 L

As i said i'm not saying he is the guy but im unsure what people expect sometimes from the likes of Thomas Frank, De Zerbi etc. Thomas Frank has one of the smallest budgets in the league, 17th lowest wage budget and has had them. yes they have struggled a bit this year but they lost Ivan Toney for all bar one game and then lost Mbuemo a month ago. He sets his teams up well and yes they are physical, play fairly direct and into Toney but what really do people expect with the squad he has. If he tried to do what Kompany does with Burnley they'd have been relegated years ago just like Burnley will be this year. He has finished 9th, 8pts behind us and 12 off the Champions league places last year and 13th the year before. its fair to say this years struggles have been the injury to Mbeumo and Toney suspension. De Zerbi lost Caicedo and Mac Callister and was bought Milner,Dahoud and Baleba and they are obviously telling him when and when he can't play Ferguson as they want to limit his minutes and he's resorting to playing Welbeck up top

De Zerbi's results against shit teams who play a low block worry me most.  His teams get ripped apart on the counter by them often and he'd face that a lot more here.

I also see nothing in how Thomas Frank sets Brentford up to make me think he'd work well here. He'd need to set us up in a way he hasn't got the experience of implementing. The way Brentford play wouldn't work here.

13 hours ago, Lee909 said:

I'm not saying he is the right guy but i'm wondering what people expect from him. He doesn't have the biggest of squads to be juggling European football with league games and had the heart of his midfield ripped out and in Caicedo case quite late. At its not like Brighton will go out and buy ready made replacements for him. I think they knew this year would be tough and top 8 would be the aim alongside the knockout stages of the Europa league. 

His results after the Europa League and the teams he has played have not helped them one bit

A Bournemouth 3-1 win

H Liverpool 2-2

H Fulham 1-1

H Sheff Utd 1-1

A Chelsea 3-2 L

A Arsenal 2-0 L

As i said i'm not saying he is the guy but im unsure what people expect sometimes from the likes of Thomas Frank, De Zerbi etc. Thomas Frank has one of the smallest budgets in the league, 17th lowest wage budget and has had them. yes they have struggled a bit this year but they lost Ivan Toney for all bar one game and then lost Mbuemo a month ago. He sets his teams up well and yes they are physical, play fairly direct and into Toney but what really do people expect with the squad he has. If he tried to do what Kompany does with Burnley they'd have been relegated years ago just like Burnley will be this year. He has finished 9th, 8pts behind us and 12 off the Champions league places last year and 13th the year before. its fair to say this years struggles have been the injury to Mbeumo and Toney suspension. De Zerbi lost Caicedo and Mac Callister and was bought Milner,Dahoud and Baleba and they are obviously telling him when and when he can't play Ferguson as they want to limit his minutes and he's resorting to playing Welbeck up top

They have 17 points from their last 16 games. The 6 points from the 6 games after Europe is not an anomoly, it's their norm

For what it's worth, Alonso is still 1/2 on with most bookies, with De Zerbi ranging from 5/1 to 8/1 in second place. 

Even if it's just a reflection of a large fanbase throwing a lot of money on Alonso, De Zerbi's already pretty distant. 

We were blessed that Klopp was available in October 2015, and if Alonso was to arrive and be successful we'll have been blessed too that we beat Real and Bayern to him. It helps that both are doing pretty well now, notwithstanding Bayern actually being in a title race for the second season in a row (largely thanks to Alonso, ironically). 

De Zerbi and the likes are not who we should be looking at, no more Brendan Rodgers punts. 

We should be looking in the Zidane, Ancelotti calibre of manager in terms of experience and ability to handle big expectations and possibly even big egos now too. 

LFC isn't building from the ground up now, it's in good shape and doesn't want to fall down - that takes a different set of skills. 

• Upvote 1

I keep seeing Ancelotti name

He's signed on to Madrid till 2026 he's not leaving them. 

Zidane can't speak the language and doesn't want to work over here. It's been said for a while he's waiting on the French job. There's also a big question mark about how good he a manager he is. Leading that Real Madrid team wasn't exactly difficult with Ronaldo,Bale,Modric, Kroos,Ramos,Benzema etc etc. 

There's isn't many stand out candidates for the job. 

3 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

De Zerbi and the likes are not who we should be looking at, no more Brendan Rodgers punts. 

We should be looking in the Zidane, Ancelotti calibre of manager in terms of experience and ability to handle big expectations and possibly even big egos now too. 

Agree with the first bit mate, but I really don’t get the Zidane shouts. He’s only managed Real Madrid and that ended 2 or 3 years ago.

It’s Alonso or bust for me on this

• Upvote 1

He’s also damaged goods following the Bayern spell - We shouldn’t be appointing anyone who was sacked for underperforming recently. There’s not going to be any sort of aura there.

If he weren’t unattainable, you could, perhaps, begin to justify a short term exception for a legendary manager like Ancelotti (who has been sacked relatively recently, and likely will again at some point by Madrid), but we absolutely shouldn’t be thinking short-term. 

4 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

He’s also damaged goods following the Bayern spell - We shouldn’t be appointing anyone who was sacked for underperforming at any point in the last decade. There’s not going to be any sort of aura there.

A champions league semi final and league title in his full season. Sacked after losing to City in the champions league and were sitting a point behind Dortmund in the league. 

I'd hardly say he was a failure. 

He will rightly be looked at

By your criteria Pep shouldn't get a look in if Naglesman was a failure at Bayern as he didn't win tbe Champions league. Hansi Flick is out for failure at Germany,Ancelotti at Napoli. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Reading about the potential managers surely that Amorim should be higher placed than even Zerbi. Looks to be an impressive record though I dont know shit about the Portuguese league or the style he plays.

Not sure Why he has been brought forward as a possible replacement, has a history as a coach in the National teams youth system before he got appointed by Sporting in March 2020. 

Took charge of one of the three best clubs in Portugal and have won them the title once in the 20/21 season. Sporting have won the title 19 times in Portugal. 

Last 10 seasons:

13/14: 2nd

14/15: 3rd

15/16: 2nd

16/17: 3rd

17/18: 3rd

18/19: 3rd

19/20: 4th ( same points as 3rd placed Braga)

————————

20/21: 1st

21/22: 2nd

22/23: 4th

23/24: Currently 1st, 1 point ahead of Benfica and five ahead of Porto with 15 games left)

3 minutes ago, Code said:

Not sure Why he has been brought forward as a possible replacement, has a history as a coach in the National teams youth system before he got appointed by Sporting in March 2020. 

Took charge of one of the three best clubs in Portugal and have won them the title once in the 20/21 season. Sporting have won the title 19 times in Portugal. 

Last 10 seasons:

13/14: 2nd

14/15: 3rd

15/16: 2nd

16/17: 3rd

17/18: 3rd

18/19: 3rd

19/20: 4th ( same points as 3rd placed Braga)

————————

20/21: 1st

21/22: 2nd

22/23: 4th

23/24: Currently 1st, 1 point ahead of Benfica and five ahead of Porto with 15 games left)

You should probably check when was the last time they had won the league, before he got there.

27 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

You should probably check when was the last time they had won the league, before he got there.

Why?

If they lose out on the league or win the league by a point or two it does not really tell anything about the performances and the quality. 

We were easily the best team in 18/19, but City won the league. 

Sporting won the Cup in 18/19 and they won the league cup in 17/18 and 18/19 before Ruben Amorim took charge, they are a massive club in Portugal, he is not doing anything people are not expecting the club to do. 

1 minute ago, Code said:

Why?

If they lose out on the league or win the league by a point or two it does not really tell anything about the performances and the quality. 

We were easily the best team in 18/19, but City won the league. 

Sporting won the Cup in 18/19 and they won the league cup in 17/18 and 18/19 before Ruben Amorim took charge, they are a massive club in Portugal, he is not doing anything people are not expecting the club to do. 

You would think of all people, a Liverpool fan would understand why what you just said here makes no sense.